Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield Airloom Recurve with A-style

Thanks everyone. I ended up ordering a green one (it shipped super quickly) and the Pava does indeed fit well. I don't own a Tone Gard, but there seems to be more clearance in this case than in the...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield Airloom Recurve with A-style

Larger bodied As based off the Gibson ovals are a real tight squeeze. My Duff did not really fit and it is based off of the Griffith body.

Regards to protection these are not flight cases. They...
  3. Re: Case and Tone Gard Combo for Pava (A Style)

Northfield airloom deluxe case will accommodate both.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Case and Tone Gard Combo for Pava (A Style)

I have a Pava A which I purchased used on the Cafe a few years ago. It arrived in its original TKL case with Tone-Guard installed, which was part of the sale. I noticed right away it was a very...
  5. Re: Case and Tone Gard Combo for Pava (A Style)

I can't say for certain that a Pava would fit but the Crossrock case is very similar to the Superior but has more room. I can say it fits a Northfield F5S, a Girouard A5, and a Collings MT2-0 all...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Changed back to nickel-silver frets

...And that's just one example. Sometimes people claim that they can hear, see, feel, etc. differences because of their experience and expertise. Sometimes it can be demonstrated that they can and...
  7. Re: Should I consider a very early B.R.W. (Ben Wilcox)?

That and his less than 100% feedback rating.
  8. Re: Should I consider a very early B.R.W. (Ben Wilcox)?

For anything over 500 (regardless of maker) my take would be: No trial period.....NO sale. That would be a deal breaker.
  9. Re: Should I consider a very early B.R.W. (Ben Wilcox)?

Thile had Dude #5 and #14 I think?

I could see both sides of this, you would think he’d get better with more builds, but he probably had a similar voicing back then. Maybe you could inquire if...
  10. Re: Should I consider a very early B.R.W. (Ben Wilcox)?

If the early builds are anything like the later ones, I don’t think you will be disappointed. I have an F5 #76 and I am totally satisfied with its quality and tone. I am not a “catch and release”...
  11. Replies
    Views

Some new backing tracks

Hi, everybody. I started a blog when I was preparing for some flatpick and mandolin contests years ago, to share the tools I was using to practice. I recorded a lot of backing tracks to practice...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Can builders reproduce a tonal profile?

The simple answer is yes.

Nowadays, luthiers will select wood not just by beauty, but by density (physical, and grain).

When the top and backplates are carved, luthiers may "tap tune" them...
  13. Replies
    Views

I have notes about materials, plate weights, arch heights and so forth. I have reasonably large stocks of wood from some supplier and from trees that I processed myself. If someone wanted a sound...
  14. Replies
    Views

I feel most of my mandolins have a very close sound in tone. Is that what you are referring to?
  15. Re: Can builders reproduce a tonal profile?

As another anecdote, I've been told all my mandolins have a common family resemblance. This is after the player played five instruments on the same day with very different tonewoods (redwood over...
  16. Replies
    Views

Red Diamond has a model “July 9, 1923” voicing, so apparently at least one maker thinks he can meet the challenge.
  17. Replies
    Views

All depends on what is your measure of close enough reproduction... I would answer NO. You can get close if you have good notes about materials and exact specs of the build and chances are high...
  18. Replies
    Views

I'm a bottom tier, amateur ukulele maker, and all my builds sound quite like each other (and not like those from other builders).

So I think a top tier maker should be able to get very close...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Need Advice on Selling/Upgrading Mandolin

I've kind of been down this road before, here are my thoughts, FWIW.

We're probably looking at some serious economic downside, which could last for years. Some will be affected much more than...
  20. Replies
    Views

I hear you loud and clear, I signed one of those last year lol

I would have told you to watch the classifieds here at this time of year [right before/after taxes] as there's a fair amount of good...
  21. Re: Need Advice on Selling/Upgrading Mandolin

[/COLOR]

HAHAHAHHAH - Ok then. :)
  22. Replies
    Views

It sounds as though you actually like the breedlove sound. I would consider putting the money into the fretwork - you may find that it is much better to play after you do that and you may be happier...
  23. Replies
    Views

Several things come to mind. You like Girouard, and you’d probably like any Girouard. So you can keep an eye out for one in the classifieds.

Or you can have the mandolin you own refretted and...
  24. Replies
    Views

I have no doubt that it’s a great mandolin, but it’s not a great price. There are new Girouards in the classifieds for $2600 and $3000:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/150740#150740
  25. Replies
    Views

You might ask them if you could put a down payment on the Girouard and have them hold it while you sell your other mandolins.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4