Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: buying first mando without playing?

If it were me, and it was, I purchased a used Eastman 404 from the classifieds here last week.
    Locally I’ve looked at and played the base level eastmans, and also some of their higher end models.
    I...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: The virus, the economy, mandolins and you

Over the last few months I’ve hoarded over 26 different Hymnals. So every day I spend an hour or more flatpicking my way through them. I know a lot of Hymns since I’ve been attending church for...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Al Carruth scraper - Sharpening

I seldom comment,
    But an effective scraper is the easiest thing in the world to make, and sharpen.
    I have quite a variety of scrapers made of everything from spring steel shim stock, pieces of...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Becoming a Luthier-How?

The best reason to build instruments (in my case mandolins)is to be able to play and listen and look at something you made with your own hands.
    I have a friend (Paul Dunn) who lives in Bourbon...
  5. Replies
    Views

10-20 drum sander abrasive roll tip

So,
    After a fairly lucky purchase of a performax 10-20 drum sander this morning for $200 I went looking for a local source for sanding rolls. Here’s what I found, neither Rockler or Woodcraft stock...
  6. Re: Cleaning up Superglue and metal corrosion on old Bowlback

I’m recently rehabbed a similar bowl back.
    Acetone (a very safe solvent) is the only reliable way to remove CA (superglue). However it’s unlikely that you’ll be able to use it in such a way that...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Replacing Violin Fingerboard

That violin is worth about $20. You could pay to have a new fingerboard put on for about $200, and then you’d have a $220 dollar violin. Those tuning pegs look like they were carved with a...
  8. Replies
    Views

Regal bowl back repair

This is my first post at the cafe, so I’ll tell you a little about myself.
    I’m 60, I’ve spent the last 8 years learning the violin, and have just recently got serious about the mandolin. In my...