Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Quick shop pic

Nice, looks like an efficient and productive shop.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Builders output?

My 595 over 30 years has been made possible by: no adult supervision M-F, location so far up the creek even the Episcopalians are handling snakes up here, and enough 'mental health' instruments to...
  3. Re: How much does a Northfield actually cost to make?

Some mention of starting with a kit, then realizing the knowledge that goes into anything done well, which means experience, which means hours and hours of previous practice. Then comes the knowledge...
  4. Re: Repairing necks with nonadjustable trussrod

I'm with Andrew, Peter and Marty on this one. We've installed carbon fiber rods (beams) in over 100 instruments and found them to be very reliable. We also use a 1/2" deep and 1/4 " wide beam set...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Repairing necks with nonadjustable trussrod

I have to say I've had the opposite experience-- I've had to repair a number of trussrod necks from various builders that didn't have the stiffness to hold up over time, but I've only had to...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: X bracing vs Tone bars

Right, I'm agreeing with you Austin. Gilchrist likes a little bass, so one thing he has done is deepen the rim height, and I'm sure countless other things as well.

The problem like you say, is...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: sap pockets in spruce

D"Aquisto's workshop was filled with unused items like this leftover from his work and D'Angelico's when he died. A couple of lurker members here have a garage full of his reject pile....

There...
  8. Re: Scientific proof for an instrument "opening up"?

9. Replies
    Views

Re: 17 year old wins Walnut Valley Bluegrass

From the APHC YouTube channel:

Ethan Setiawan play's "St. Anne's Reel" with Richard Kriehn and Rich Dworsky during our May 2, 2015 broadcast.

Except you've probably not heard it played this...
  10. Re: Non-conformist idiot here could use a support therapist ... ;

Padma- is that you messin' with us Dude? If so, glad to see you back- you kept the pot stirred around here for a while. LOL
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: OT: Garage 'Puter

I like the ipad for the garage. I have all of my repair manuals on PDF and if you get in a pinch there is you tube.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Wintergrass 2015

I really enjoyed spending time with Austin and playing his mandolins. Really good guy that just happens to build incredible mandolin family instruments. My son preferred one of his F5's and I liked...
  13. Replies
    Views

I liked Austin's 2 point a lot as well, probably my fave of his instruments, but he also had a really nice F5 that had just been strung up a week prior to Wintergrass that was going to be a winner...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: 4 Bridge System Madness.

"Kevlar body armour donned and securely fastened, I sit prepared for the ridicule, derision and ignominy that will doubtless ensue from this thread....."

Quite possibly the most insightful thing...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Jerry's Saga Kit Saga Continues

I've used the Watco lacquer in gallons, sprayed with HVLP, and it worked just fine.

What is this "spray booth" of which you speak? :-) For a single instrument, just spray it... wear a respirator...
  16. Replies
    Views

Uh oh...
    Now we have to add Irish Whisky (errr, Whiskey) to the tasting... :)
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: More Tap Tuning

You actually already have a deflection jig. It's your arm and thumb.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: 1918 A1 with loose brace

While it's a steaper learning curve, hot hide glue (HHG) is a much much better option - it's what was in there originally and crucially the old HHG will re-activate when the new glue gloes in there. ...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Finally got a Clark F5!

Good for you, Austin. You sure have made a lot of players happy with your instruments. You certainly deserve one of your very own.

Your two-point is very high on my list of dream instruments. ...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Hand-Splitting Maple For Mandolins...

You'll wind up with a lot of billets--all quartered--that are relatively easy to dry and store, and can be processed later into mandolin backs...
    Normally, the sets are sawn green right out of the...
  21. Re: Torrified tops? anyone doing that on mandolins yet?

It's obvious to me:
    Normal wood, straight from the tree is pure junk... worthless stuff, and all instruments made from it for that last few centuries are pure junk because they are made from lousy...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins in progress

Love that 'burst Austin!

Steve
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Finding an endorsee?

Make superior instruments and they will gain exposure. Music festivals where camping and a lot of jamming happens is a good place to show your work. In order for folks to take you seriously your...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Improving volume on A and E strings

Find a mandolin you like better.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Neck Re-set Issue

Well, you won't get THAT with worn, low flattened frets and a bent neck.

Level the board and refret - it's the right thing to do.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3