Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Jerry Garcia On Mandolin

That's right - A new box set of early recordings by Jerry Garcia includes a live version of "Deep Elem Blues." which features hs instrumental wizardry on the mandolin. :mandosmiley: This song later...
  2. Replies
    Views

Nugget Mandolin #310

Hello everybody!

Last year I pulled the trigger and ordered a Nugget mandolin from Mike Kemnitzer. I played Joe K. Walsh's Nugget and loved the responsiveness and general feel of the instrument...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: For the price of a single Harley Davidson...

Back in '78, I sold my '77 Kawasaki 1000 LTD to buy woodworking machinery. 'no regrets but every spring for over 30 years I would see the guys (and gals) on their bikes and pine for my bike. So,...
  4. The Report Of My Death Was An Exaggeration

I hear/see people have been concerned about my welfare during the hurricane. I weathered it just fine, in a solid building where I'd been invited by a friend - who then left town, doubting his own...
  5. Replies
    Views

Tenor Guitar Tunebook (CGDA) updated

Just a quick note to say that I've revised and updated my free Tenor Guitar Tunebook - up from 41 tunes to 51 tunes.

As before - just stuff I've liked over the years.
  6. Prairie Home Companion last night with Trey Anastasio

I never really got into PHC in the past, but I must admit I've checked it out since Chris Thile has taken over the reigns. The show is pulling in some great musicians and Trey is one of my...
  7. Replies
    Views

Monteleone Baby Grand Speciale with inlay

After several years of waiting my new Monteleone Baby Grand Speciale has arrived. I ordered this back after John was at the Mandolin Symposium when I first made a deposit. Then the recession hit and...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Lawrence Smart F style Mandola

Really nice recordings!! Love them!
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Ebay: Copy of a Lloyd Lane!

Just keep chanting this over and over: "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!"

It will all be over soon, I promise.
  10. Replies
    Views

Fletcher Brock Profile

My profile of luthier Fletcher Brock has been published in the June issue of the Minnesota Bluegrass and Old Time Music Association magazine. Here is a PDF of the piece for download. Comments...
  11. Replies
    Views

Recuerdos de la Alhambra on 10-string

My arrangement of this guitar piece, on Buchanan 10-string.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FshGMbJV_iI&feature=em-share_video_user
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile on Jimmy Fallon

I know a lot of mandolin players on the planet. I know a lot of people that have played with Chris. I know a lot of people that have done business with him. I know the people well that have...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile on Jimmy Fallon

So you started this thread just to get that off your chest?
  14. Thread: Scales

by Mike Bunting
    Replies
    Views

Re: Scales

I was going to post something similar. When the left hand is doing something automatic, you can focus on all the things you need to work on for your right hand.
    Regarding scales, they are chords and...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: teaching bluegrass mandolin

Someone good at teaching. Someone who has thought through the most effective approach in getting a student from A to B. Someone who can evaluate my skillset and and determine the best pathway for...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: My mandolin is WAY better than yours!

What is best in life?

To crush your jam, see it driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their banjos.
  17. Replies
    Views

Chris Thile: Too Many Notes!!

Love this guy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNPbm-msjZw
  18. Re: Jacobson Nautilus #26- Concerto model with pinstriping

In terms of tone, my goal with this one was to improve the volume and projection over my last Concerto model, and also allow the use of J73's if desired.
    With J73's it's a loud and feisty little...
  19. Re: Welcome new Mando-geek... Eddie Van Halen

This explains why a couple days ago a customer asked me what kind of mando-basses we sell.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: John Paul Jones being awesome

Wow...This is fantastic.
    JPJ w/ Dave Rawlings Machine - Going to California, Live at Georgia Theater:

jYeq6XoOg8s
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Christmastime Is Here

You can even embed them

ulQBIOn8Npo
  22. A Little Mandolin on the Google Doodle for Thanksgiving

I'm not sure, but this might be the first time that the mandolin has had a (small) role in a Google Doodle--the little animations that Google puts on their home page for special occasions.

The...
  23. Measurements of Mike Marshall's cello nut and bridge

I am coming into an Eastman cello and I've read all about the string spacing issues with this instrument. Mike Marshall was nice enough to provide me a tracing of his nut and bridge. I added a ruler,...
  24. Re: From a really good to really great mandolin... what happens?

"But I listen to bluegrass recordings, and it might be a Gibson Loar (Thile or Reischman, say), or Weber (Sierra Hull), or Northfield (Adam Steffey), or whatever being played, and hear what I think...
  25. Replies
    Views

Hoffee Case - seven months in use so far.

I’m constantly traveling around town with my Gibson mandolin. With my music lessons and jam sessions, I have to bring my mandolin to work a few times each week.

I don’t like the stock Gibson...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3