Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. The Rain Song: Live w/ Jim Richter (octave) and Laurelyn Dossett

This Led Zeppelin Classic was performed this year at the 10th Annual Jim Richter Mandolin Camp for the Rest of Us Faculty Concert.

You can learn more about Laurelyn Dossett at laurelyndossett.com...
  2. Re: Eastman MD 305 unbox - thanks all, I'm a satisfied customer.

Pictures or it didn't happen :grin:
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: ISO - luthier in Oakland County, MI

Paul I have used masking tape with a hole punched in the size of the fret marker you want. Then a drop of fingernail polish for the marker. Take the tape off before it is completely dry so it doesn't...
  4. Replies
    Views

Uncle John's Band Mandolin Lesson

Dig into this iconic G major lick.

Enjoy - Andrew Hendryx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3uOFO04SkA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3uOFO04SkA
  5. Thread: Main Strength

by jim19
    Replies
    Views

Main Strength

(not sure how interesting this is, but I felt like writing it today)

It was 40+ years ago that I (at about 14 years old) was given a junky old mandolin from my grandfathers attic. After arming...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: pick-up options for a A style mando

Not to hijack the thread but you'll love your mando through a Loudbox!
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Eddie Van Halen RIP

I was deeply saddened to hear of his passing. Being an 80s kid, EVH was a big part of my life. Every boy in my generation at some point wanted to play guitar, and mostly because of Eddie. I...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Amanda Lynn

I met a girl named Amanda Lynn in Atlanta years ago. She was a friend of the teenaged sister of a friend of mine, and didn't even know what a mandolin was. She didn't appreciate me teasing her about...
  9. Replies
    Views

Acoustic Dead duo tunes

My good buddy Steve Roy & I have a duo, Steve & Dave Play Dead, which is what we do, and we did it as part of an online fest we are a part of, Dead to the Core, this past weekend. We are the only act...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Pickboy clown barf pick

It's hard to describe, and yes, that's what I've been using and would still be satisfied to use. I feel like the attack of the "clown" pick is what I like and the tone produced. I realize it's all...
  11. Replies
    Views

Good grief... what a set!

Billy Strings is - of course - all shades of bad (_*_)

The mandolin player in this recent set ain't bad either!!! I'm taking notes. Or trying to!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTrgZ6Bl8C8
  12. Replies
    Views

Nice story about Mike Marshall's Loar

About 10 years ago or so I was attending an industry retreat in Massachusetts at which we were lucky enough to have Mike Marshall, along with a couple of young guys on violin and bass, play for us...
  13. Re: Sound: opinions sought on technique vs instrument, i.e. anti-

I find it interesting that almost everyone is talking about when it is appropriate to upgrade an instrument.

I like setting other benchmarks, which are instrument-independent. Scale exercises...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Giants of Psychedelic Mandolin?

I was searching for something else and came across this old thread, pretty good read so I had to bump it to throw in Jarrod Walker. Been listening to him a lot lately and while he is a SOLID...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman El Rey Video Review

I'm going to jump back in real quick and answer a few more things.

First of all Jim DeSalvo: Here's a longer video that just consists of the mandolin being played:

16. Re: A likely contentious opinion on electric mandolins

The emando is a whole other set of tools for expression, and part of the great variety of mandolins in general in regards to shapes, build styles, woods, etc.

Beyond my acoustics (Rigel A and...
  17. Replies
    Views

Wish You Were Here - with mandolin!

I hope y'all enjoy this Pink Floyd cover we did!

6fB6GPOA324
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Del & Dawg Tour 2019

Well that was surely one of the musical highlights of my year! Just a terrific show!

Two sets. One microphone. Just the right amount of banter and spontaneity to give it a 'living room' feel while...
  19. Replies
    Views

Billy Strings & Del McCoury

Billy on mandolin, Del on guitar, Midnight On The Stormy Deep

https://www.facebook.com/billystrings1/videos/478908402639345/UzpfSTI5OTAzMzI3Njg0MjA3ODoyMDEyMjg4ODM4ODQ5ODM4/
  20. Replies
    Views

Grateful Dead's - China Cat Sunflowew Lesson

Hey Folks,

Tried to post this in the Grateful Dead Section but I don't see it. So here is a China Cat Sunflower lesson. Hope it is useful and let me know what you think!

I received a request...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: My mandolin got eaten by a Stratocaster.

It could be worse. You could have taken up golf :))

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Grateful Dead tunes

Speaking of Jerry Garcia and the mandolin, here is the one actually playing the other! :disbelief: This is from a boxed set called "Before The Dead." It includes him playing in several configurations...
  23. Amazing resource for Garcia/Dead enthusiasts

https://deadstein.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/jerry-garcia-song-book-ver-9-online.pdf
  24. Replies
    Views

Did a good deed today

A good friend has been helping a family that has recently relocated to Minnesota. There are two sons that like music, but have never played. Someone had donated an acoustic guitar for one of them....
  25. Replies
    Views

A little musical humor

Not sure if this has been posted before, but if it hasn't, here it is (I hope):
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4