Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Irish traditonal music on electric mandolin

I like this music!
  2. I forgot to use the "sideways" tines on the tailpiece - ?

I just started restringing my mandolin, which has an old-style stamped tailpiece. I got partway through before I realized that I hadn't used the sideways tines for the right-angle turn on the treble...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Improvising

Overthinking is the downfall of successful improvising, in my view. What works for me is to start with a rhythmic pattern that I can play easily. Then "populate it with notes". This advice, which...
  4. Electronic tuner: guide, or unquestionable authority?

After I remove my Snark from the mandolin peghead, or leave the iPhone tuner app, I like to marginally tweak my tuning until I think it sounds best. Right or wrong, I'm using the tuner as a guide...
  5. Re: Heavy gauge strings (J75) on a vintage Gibson A

Just to muddy the waters: a google search for "best strings for Gibson A-Jr" finds several older threads on MC where highly experienced players OK, or even recommend, the use of J74s.

I'd had...
  6. Replies
    Views

Lotsa nut blanks for low bucks

I have been making nuts - in my amateur way - for years, from this dog chew bone I got at a pet store for three bucks. Shown is the Rogue plastic nut I'll be replacing shortly. I haven't seen this...
  7. Replies
    Views

Formerly a black Rogue (FYI)

Zip-Strip, razor blade and sandpaper produced this result from a black-painted Rogue mandolin I acquired for almost nothing. I was gonna stain it but I like the cream color, so probably will spray a...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Trust yourself

Back in the early 1970s, when my moral and intellectual character was considerably less developed than it is today, I trusted my instincts when it came to buying instruments. Unfortunately I also...
  9. Replies
    Views

Change your strings right now!

Good Lord, what a difference!

Like night and day! Like the sun coming out of the clouds.

Put down the mouse and change your mandolin strings.

Do it right now!
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Instruments, Cost & the Placebo Effect

Hearing loss is the great equalizer between expensive and cheap mandolins.
  11. Re: How am I different from all the other mandolinists? (ruminati

Thanks for the replies to my somewhat vague OP, folks. Many useful ideas in this thread, from both the "spiritual quest" and the "career tactics" angles.
  12. Re: Curious about the Bluegrass mandolin market segment

The immediate impression that bluegrass music makes on me is of male vocalists singing in harmony, in high tenor range, possibly with a nasal tonality and a mid-Southern accent. It seems more a...
  13. Thread: What the

by Tate Ferguson
    Replies
    Views

Re: What the

Never mind that "music" stuff. Why are the piano player and the fiddler wearing HATS?

Could it be because they are BALD? Shamed by society, afraid to show the reality of their appearance...
  14. Buying a mandolin ONLY 'cause you like its looks

As I enter my twilight years, I find the unusual, wild or garish instruments much more appealing...

I saw some gray-finished mandolins a couple years ago. Nice look, kinda classy.

I like the...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Get Your 4 Year Degree in Bluegrass

No professor in the world can teach you how to entertain the h___ out of paying customers.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: pick direction practice advice

About 85 percent of the time, I don't think about my pick direction at all. Either UDUD or DUDU seems to just happen, I think - I mean, if I even think about it.

Sometimes when playing slow to...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Is the mandolin inefficient?

The scroll and point are an efficient means of extracting hundreds of extra dollars from the mandolinist.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: How Fast?

If possible, avoid those sadistic bebop saxophonists...
  19. Replies
    Views

What my audience prefers to hear (rant)

I have played guitar for 54 years, mandolin for 15 years. I've gotten pretty good, and I perform regularly for pay with some of the best musicians in my city.

I can sing a tune, but my vocals are...
  20. Re: Is the electric guitar dying, taking Gibson and others with i

The electric guitar will die when young men grow tired of making noise while pompously strutting about, wagging long objects they hold at waist level.

In other words, never.
  21. Re: Affordable mandolins for the playing professional

The older I get, the less difference I feel between cheap and nice instruments.

When I'm out of practice, out of sorts, tired, I sound like s__t on any instrument.

When I'm motivated, happy,...
  22. Re: How do you send your demo recording to a booker in 2017?

Thanks for the excellent info - you have figured it out admirably.
  23. How do you send your demo recording to a booker in 2017?

Not a mando-specific question, but -

In what form do you send your terrific demo recording to the booker of a club, coffee house, or whatever venue? I have the idea that audio CDs are outdated -...
  24. Replies
    Views

A - the troublesome string (rant)

After several years of playing and practicing mandolin, I've concluded that the A course is the most troublesome of the four. Hardest to keep in tune, hardest to play cleanly, hardest to tremelo...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: $750 Collings mandolin case at elderlys

I can't bring myself to spend 750 bucks on a mandolin, let alone a case.
Page 1 of 2 1 2