Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Octave Mandolin Build

There's an exceptional octave mandolin build going on over at the Guild forum: https://letstalkguild.com/ltg/index.php?threads/ahg-octave-mando-build.216226/
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

I built a body for an NOS Black Rose Baby neck, which is bolted on. The black top is lamp black powder in 2-lb cut shellac, a very high-solids mixture. I used pumice to fill the pores in the walnut...
  3. Thread: Walnut for a neck?

by SBJ
    Replies
    Views

Re: Walnut for a neck?

Walnut has open pores that you probably want to fill to create a smooth neck.
  4. Re: Collection of posts, threads, and other links for new builder

I've built four mandolins but I still search for all this stuff, so this is a tremendous resource. Thanks for your efforts.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: I want to build a mandolin

Patience and practice are the keys. The top of my first mandolin was pine boards from HD, and the back was a repurposed cutting board. I hate to waste any usable tonewood. It was great practice and...
  6. Thread: A5 top thickness

by SBJ
    Replies
    Views

Re: A5 top thickness

I've built four mandolins, and the top and back on each one is thinner than the one before it. I now have a concept of how flexible the top and back have to be, which seems too thin like Andrew said....
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Need Help With Hide Glue

+1 for a wax warmer and the technique NAS describes. I also put in locator pins in the head block and tail block to quickly set the top in place.
  8. Thread: Practice wood?

by SBJ
    Replies
    Views

Re: Practice wood?

I built my first mandolin out of soft pine and a repurposed maple cutting board. It wasn't a complete build but I learned a tremendous amount about wood and using small tools. While building three...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Beginner staining & finishing

I mix blonde dewaxed shellac flakes with denatured alcohol (DNA) and tint it with Keda powdered dye mixed in DNA. Zinsser makes shellac in a spray can.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Beginner staining & finishing

One reason to seal before staining is to minimize dye being preferentially absorbed by the end grain like in the f holes. Another is that it allows you to scrape all the color off and start over if...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Suitable for a neck?

What about resawing it into a bookmatched back, either flat or slightly less arched than typical?
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

I bought an old Washburn M2 that missing a top and carved a new one. It is the first time I used micro mesh pads on the shellac, and I was surprised at how much sheen I could achieve. Also...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: The back and top join

I use the joint line to align every other part of the mandolin. If it were at an angle, I'd go nuts.
  14. Thread: Recurve too thin?

by SBJ
    Replies
    Views

Re: Recurve too thin?

For a first timer (defined as having built less than 5-10 mandolins), the hardest question is how floppy is too floppy? I use "floppy" because that's what the top feels like when it's getting thin...
  15. Thread: A5 build plans

by SBJ
    Replies
    Views

Re: A5 build plans

Check out this these plans from GenOne formerly Georgia Luthier Supply:https://genone-luthier-supply.com/collections/other-instrument-plans/products/a5-mandolin-plans

I'm using these plans now for...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Shading a spruce top

I had success with mixing powdered dye with denatured alcohol and then preparing shellac with that mixture in a 1 lb cut. I used blonde shellac so it didn't affect the color much. Shellac is very...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: New Build: 13 inch scale Flat-Top

How did you come up with the design for the bridge?
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Should I learn to make bridges while I'm at it?

I recommend building your own bridges if only to explore different tones and volume as well as the physics of bridges. It's fairly straight forward to build a functional one-piece bridge. Like every...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Virtual Shop Tour(s)... I'll show you mine

I've only built two mandolins so I hardly know anything. What I've found is that I've needed smaller and smaller tools like thumb planes, small chisels (1/8 in), gouges, files, and rasps. Plus...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: new top F hole repair

I'm building my first F5 after building two A4s. At least use this top to practice carving the scroll and binding channel, which I found to be very difficult. I'm glad I don't have to feed my family...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Advice for a pre-professional luthier?

I have built two A style mandolins, and I'm happy to remain a hobbyist. But if I were to turn pro, I would read all of grandcanyonminstrel's (James Condino) posts regarding his jig that enables you...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: binding channel cutting options

As a first-time builder, I made a binding channel cutting jig for a router similar to this one that Lynn Dudenbostel posted some time ago:177404
    It works great, and the mandolin is highly protected...
  23. Re: Newbie Builder - Getting started - which books/tutorials

As a first-time builder, I would like to say that there is plenty of information on this forum alone to build an A or F style mandolin. I am continually grateful for the amount of time builders spend...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Help with D'Angelico plane

As a first-time builder, let me put in a plug for the Stanley No. 100-1/2 Block Plane, which is 3 1/2 in long with a squirrel tail and curved sole. So far I have carved a mandolin top out of softwood...