Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Template material

I would add to Bill's response, that you should get a carbide blade for cutting plastics. They have a negative rake, unlike wood cutting blades. Just Google it, there are choices.
  2. Re: Bore scope/ inspection camera - recomendations

I'm quite pleased with the new Depstech WF025 scope and feel like I made the right choice to go with the model that has the most focal range. Some of the reviews expressed frustration over the...
  3. Re: Bore scope/ inspection camera - recomendations

I ended up buying a Depstech.

https://depstech.com/products/wifi-endoscope-wf025?gad=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIstLmpbXz_wIVvvfjBx223w_OEAAYAiAAEgI-YPD_BwE

That name came up in just about every...
  4. Re: Bore scope/ inspection camera - recomendations

"Download the app that is required for the one you choose before ordering, so you can ensure that it's not a weird ad-supported piece of junk and that it works on your phone, tablet, or PC."

Great...
  5. Re: Any folks open to jam in Nashville, TN (or nearby)?

https://notsba.org/contacts/

Check this link out, Nashville Old-Time String Band Association. They have regular jams. They also sponsor/ host "Breaking Up Winter", coming up this March 2, Thursday...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

The mandolin did clean up nicely and the bug excrement all came off without leaving any staining or blemishes. Still have some poo spots inside and I may yet go after those with a bit of dampened rag...
  7. Replies
    Views

Every now and then, I get an instrument that compels me get the rubber gloves out. This teens Gibson oval hole mandolin is the worst so far and was a measure more gross than your typical player mung....
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Hide glue question

My shop is too thermally transparent to heat my work turning up the thermostat. Infra Red lamps solve that problem and as John has mentioned, using the glue a bit on the thin side with hot lamps, way...
  9. Re: Harmonic Overtone Supressors - great. So....

String lengths after the bridge and above the nut can create bothersome overtones. Any strategy the dampens them can work. The little doughnuts, as you call them, are actually wiring grommets and can...
  10. Replies
    Views

Just finished this project. Gibson A oval hole with truss rod that had at least 3 failed head stock repair attempts before it came to me. I didn't take any before shots but the only thing relevant I...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Another CF reinforcement question

No need to extend into the dove tail with the CF rods but you can if it works out better for your approach.

Cover them with wood, more glue surface area when the finger board goes on.

I would...
  12. Replies
    Views

No mandolin content...

I had a guy I do a fair amount of repair work for, ask me to build a custom case for his wood key xylophone. I put him off several times but finally relented from his...
  13. Replies
    Views

Just finished up rehab on a 20's Lyon and Healy "Own Make" tango or short scale tenor banjo. This is a four string, mandolin scale length instrument, tuned G, D, A, E, that would have been a melody...
  14. Re: Stradolin Mfg'r listed in musical instrument catalog

Thanks for clarifying that Mike. I had no idea what mandolin you where referring to when you said;

"Since the Rosetta stone mandolin had the exact same pickguard and tailpiece cover that my...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Repairing a 1936 Gibson K-1 mandocello

That's Great Bernie, a virtual pat on the back for getting through a rather difficult process, a happy end to the story!

Do you have enough back binding to scrape the protruding part of the back...
  16. Replies
    Views

Remove as much material as you can with a sharp chisel. When you get it really thinned down, start soaking it with hot as you can stand water using a sponge or rag. Shouldn't take long to get some...
  17. Replies
    Views

Hi Bernie, I see your coming along with your project. This site is a another great resource, glad to see you poked your head in to check it out.

I made my mold just a tad big around the entire...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Don't do this!

This is whats left of a Cuban Tres headstock. I guess the previous owner couldn't settle on what kind of instrument this should be.

The starving artist new owner wanted it returned back into a...
  19. Replies
    Views

Here's a couple from the bench just completed and one in-progress...

A Kelischek Workshop Hurdy-Gurdy in for a glued down tail piece that came loose and some top cracks.

This is a...
  20. Re: Remove first then glue or just glue and clamp???

That back looks like it's been off before. The neck block is an unlikely place for the back on an old Gibson to slip away from the neck heel like that, there should be a small metal nail or spike...