Search:

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Long Scale Gibson Banjo question...

I've been playing a long-neck "Pete Seeger style" banjo for about 20 years now; my RB-3 Mastertone (repro neck on a GB-3) sits largely unpicked in its case. First long-neck I had was a Regal tenor...
  2. Replies
    Views

My Vega longneck capoed for regular G-tuning:

3. Replies
    Views

That is a Gibson RB-175, which was Gibson's long-necked banjo model, that was inspired by Pete Seeger's modified Vega banjo. Long neck banjos were quite popular during the early 1960's.

These...
  4. Replies
    Views

Yep, capo it at 3rd then tune normally to an open G chord.

Long-neck banjos are designed to be able capo down as well as up from the 3rd fret starting point.
  5. Replies
    Views

With a capo on the third fret the fret markers make sense and it's like a normal banjo. Tuning open is BEG#B.
  6. Replies
    Views

This any use? - https://banjonews.com/2014-03/the_seeger_long_neck_americas_third_banjo.html
  7. Mandolin adaptation of Jazz guitar chord melody piece

Sutton Mutton by Carl Kress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2x0KDnTgy0
  8. Replies
    Views

Another from the 2020 crop

Another mandolin from the 2020 crop goes out this week. This one will live in England pretty soon. I think the new owner should be pretty happy with her...

9. Replies
    Views

NMD: Northfield Big Mon

I recently parted with my Gibson Doyle Lawson in favor of a 2019 Northfield Big Mon. It’s only been a few days, but it was a good move. I’m anxiously awaiting the report from the DL’s new owner, and...
  10. Replies
    Views

Gibson EM-1235 with TWO MANDOLIN NECKS

Freaky.

i've seen these with a standard guitar neck and a mandolin neck, or a tenor guitar neck and a mandolin neck.

This appears to have an 8-string mandolin neck and a 4-string mandolin...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Adding side port to mandolin

I don't think you're going to substantially change the projection qualities of the instrument- but careful!
    Adding a side sound port to an instrument not designed for it is going to act...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: What is this wood figuring called?

Here’s a picture I found awhile back of a Northfield Artist mandolin when I was trying to find ideas for my Tyler White build. This one has some really nice silking here!180600
  13. Replies
    Views

I had an Engelmann Heiden that had that figure in spades. Michael said it was perfectly quartered. Figured top, back, and sides.

180598 180599
  14. Replies
    Views

I once owned a Heiden A that had that same gorgeous figuring across the entire top (the same swirly figuring in the OP’s photos, not the figuring shown in the bear-claw & the silking photos). As I...
  15. Replies
    Views

Isn’t silking beautiful?
  16. Replies
    Views

Here are pictures of silking on a Breedlove guitar.

17. Replies
    Views

Those are called "medullary rays". They are rays which are arranged like spokes of a wheel in the tree, and are important to transfer water and nutrients between inner and outer areas of the trunk....
  18. Replies
    Views

“Spruce, cedar, and redwood guitar tops are riftsawn, with the familiar annular grain pattern running parallel to the strings and the perpendicular end grain visible on the edge of the soundhole. On...
  19. Replies
    Views

A past thread with some well known luthiers discussing both silking and bear claw can be found here. I don't recall hearing the silking term. That one is new to me.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Easy strap lock

A bootlace around under the tailpiece and through a strap hole is great insurance!!

(There are neater ways to do it than I've shown.)
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Easy strap lock

I used to watch Jonny Cash take that D45? Martin and give it a swing toward his back. It would make me cringe. I was taught to NEVER trust the strap, strap lock or not. If an instrument is around my...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis F5 Fern at Gryphon

CW, Your assesment is right in line with what I experience between my own Ellis and Northfield. My Ellis is a "Tradition" with a torrified top. The Traditions are modeled after David Grisman's Loar...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis F5 Fern at Gryphon

Thanks for the info and pics!
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Found a great luthier in the Bay Area

Good to know. There's some good luthier/techs in SF, especially south of Market but they're in kinda sketchy neighborhoods

(Just to name names: Gary Brawer that everybody knows, SF guitarworks,...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Virzi "Tone destroyer"

Thanks CWRoyds I never read that Mandozine article before. Very interesting. I agree with what Tony said as in what the Virzi does to the lows and highs on the F-5 Loar signed mandolins, at least on...
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4