Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: New "Equipment" - (Thrift Store Violin)

About $45.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile covering 1952 VBL

While we are talking about different versions of this, I've always liked this one by Sean Rowe. But yea, tough to top RT's original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrGOs1a1lOk
  3. Re: New Gilchrists land at Carter Vintage Guitars

The face downward recommendation comes straight out of the 1923 Gibson Service Handbook.

“When laying instrument down, place face downward, which rests the instrument on strings, thus protecting...
  4. Re: New Gilchrists land at Carter Vintage Guitars

It's the way Gil does it regularly. He says it protects against broken necks and busted pegheads and it's a bit more stable.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: smashed to bits

... when you play them backwards ...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: smashed to bits

I heard that Bill's real Loar, not the stand in stunt mando, was packaged and shipped off to Argentina to escape damage. Bill would occasionally reunite with his real Loar when he took "vacations"...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: seeking ID on an unknown mandolin

I recall that incident vividly. That was baffling.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: seeking ID on an unknown mandolin

Quote of the year!!! :)):crying::))
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Gig bags: The Good and Bad

I agree with many of the others who have written in: if you want to save carrying weight, you are probably better off with a Travelite or Gator or other hard foam case. These are very light, yet...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuning to Flatt and Scruggs

I love the irony of Flatt being sharp.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: When unique is an understatement

Imagine: you buy this thing, book a flight and security make you open the case. To your astonishment, with an expert movement, the officer withdraws the body part from the spliced neck part, extracts...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: The Gilchrist looks a bit jealous

Well as far as Thile's Loar that he uses most, I've never played that actual mandolin.
    That's not the one he's using in the video above.
    If the one in this video is the one he bought at mandolin...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Bozo Podunavac Mandolin on Ebay

Well, this suit fits Porte Wagner darn well, so maybe Nudie was more than bling, too.
    Bill
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Lots of Northfields for sale these days

PJ- I'm loving my Model M too, funny you mention the smell, I couldn't quite put my uh, finger on it, but you nailed it. No wonder I thought it seemed nostalgic, kind of a sweet varnish smell. It's...
  15. Re: need help, neck profile compare of Ellis A and Pava

Picking hand or fretting hand?
  16. Re: Kickstarter for Music Education/Collab. Project by Cafe Membe

This is a very interesting and ambitious web project. I wish you best of luck with it!
  17. Re: All my friends blew up on the internet (Jake Joliff)

Most of us who play banjo realize that we can use that finger, but most of us also realize that we don't need to. The only one I know who does it pretty well has a classical guitar background...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Another Gibson "tribute" on eBay?

I have carefully looked at all the photos shown on ebay and determined this is a real honest to goodness 1973 F5 that has had some minor changes to it. Tuners are original. Serial no. and label are...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Another Gibson "tribute" on eBay?

Damn good question. I scored a '20's Gibson Mastertone GB-3 guitar-banjo over a decade ago (arch top, ball-bearing type). I wanted a five-string, so I commissioned ace local luthier Bernie Lehmann...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Embergher with Low Starting Price?

It is very difficult to figure out what the condition is. I would guess this is a No. 1 that was built in the early part of the teens of the last century since the fretboard does not extend across...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Bach by Thile- Choice of The Gibson Loar

Says the guy with a Dudenbostel in his signature! Hahaha...
  22. Re: F2 repeatedly broken headstock - time for a new neck?

PJ and John Hamlett: The F2 that John repaired is holding up, plays easy and sounds great!
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Paul Bigsby Mandolin

Hey, it's got 4 more strings than the guitar that sold for $266..thats got to be worth something..:mandosmiley:

fantastic providence that letter though I thought
  24. Thread: Tone Gard

by MikeEdgerton
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tone Gard

I use one on my $50.00 Strad-O-Lin as well as my Gibson F5G. Cost has nothing to do with it. Now, if you play without muffling the back against your belly then you don't need a Tonegard. The simple...
  25. Re: Post your favorite clips from U-Tube, let's start a collectio

(no mando :() Pretty cool pickin; great singin' & whistling !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZaPGqSFPns&list=FL-Y82F6AlL7pLteA232ItJg&index=88&feature=plpp_video
    Also cool. Her take on a...