Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Has Anyone Used or Tried the StewMac Fretbar Understring Leve

i have one and use it, as Sunburst mentioned above "I imagine that the idea is to use in on problem necks that pull out of shape under string tension so that leveling without string tension does not...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Scratch remover

Photos would help, as has been said, but seeing it in hand would be much better.
    In short, light surface finish scratches can usually be rubbed and buffed out. With deeper scratches, it may be...
  3. Re: My visit to Northfield Mandolins and Elderly Instruments

Here is a single photo and 5 videos directly from Adrian showing their Qingdao, China Workshop now that you've seen some of the facilities in Marshall, Michigan.

4. Re: Jescar EVO Gold fretwire discontinued

Thanks for the suggestion. We have tried the Stewmac gold and it is not the same hardness of the Jescar EVO gold.
  5. Re: How to level rub out the final coat of guitar lacquer on F5 m

You can start with 1200, and if it seems to be taking forever try 1000, then 800, then 600 and so forth until you find what is needed. After it is level, progress back up through the grits until it's...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: FYI: Humidifying to close cracks.

Maybe this applies, maybe not... If it doesn't apply, sorry for the disruption.

We live in an arid environment in Southern California and sent my wife's 1989 D-41 to a prominent Martin Certified...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: When a rookie tries to make a new nut...

Now you have some idea of why we charge what we do for a mandolin nut.
    You've described most of the mistakes most of us encountered while learning.

And if we go for the absolute lowest height for...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Magic marker on top

I wouldn't go with WD-40 or any oil substance close to finish. These solvent based markers can eat deeply into the finish and the only way to get rid of them is abrasive removal. I once had a...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Scratch on satin finish fix?

"Satin" (quotes because technically less-than-full-gloss finishes are somewhere on the spectrum from flat to simi-gloss, but I digress...) finishes are often done to save time and finish, and are...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Scratch on satin finish fix?

There is none.
    A "satin" finish is difficult to repair/touch up to the point of being almost impossible. Color, level and gloss have to match nearly perfectly, and even someone very good at finish...
  11. Replies
    Views

Trimming fret tang on bound fretboards

I could be the hundredth maker to find this solution for all I know but I think it’s worth sharing in case even one person finds it useful. I have seen tricky and expensive jigs to trim the tang from...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Lightest/Sallest machine heads?

So many times I find out about a product, try it and like it, and then it becomes unavailable. This time I get to skip at least one step; I find out about a product and it is already unavailable...
  13. Replies
    Views

Reviving old tortoise celluloid binding

Scored a coil of .080x.250 tortoise celluloid binding at the ASIA convention yard sale in Springfield, Mo. long ago. Wondering if anyone might have a trick for making it more pliable for binding...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: OM, What pick thickness do you use?

I use stiffer picks on mandolin than on octave mando because of the scale length difference. Shorter, therefore less flexible, strings make the stiffer plectra essential while longer, more flexible...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Trends in finishing

It is easier to sell a $15 can of finish than a $300 compressor + $200 spray gun + all of the accessories......

For projects like the one you mentioned, I always send them to Matt Eady in Athens,...
  16. Re: How often should my mandolin need to be tuned?

Many of us discretely check tuning between every song.

Tuning a fine, lightly built mandolin is like trying to tune 8 strings over a beach ball. It often seems that when you change the tension of...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: How is Tuning Drift with Rubner Tuning Machines

I have one mando with Waverly's and another one with Rubner's. Both go out of tune at about the same frequency. The tuners are not the problem. Save your money.
  18. Re: How is Tuning Drift with Rubner Tuning Machines

The reason stringed instruments (generally) come with adjustable tuners, is that tuning needs adjustment, more or less frequently. Temperature and humidity changes affect string pitches; newer...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Hide glue question

HHG is vastly superior in some respect to Titebond. Especially for repairs and no creep.
    Titebond is vastly superior to HHG mostly in its ease of use and long open time.
    I would think many times...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Hide glue question

Jamie, I am starting to work [cautiously] with adding urea to hide glue to extend its open time for internal repairs. Right now, the recipe is 10% urea to the weight of the dry glue flakes. So...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Help please!!!! Messed up pretty bad

No. No. No......You do not owe this person anything.

They knowingly brought an instrument that you have no experience or knowledge with...translation: "My mandolin is $#@%ed up and this guy will...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Gluing in frets?

I glue mine in on new and refrets, with watery CA. I also pretty much only use EVO so it will be a long time before they'd need to be pulled back out. I just put them in without glue, arbor press...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Nugget Info 2021

I played one of the Loar bench copies Mike built. Truly one of his best instruments, if it ever came up for sale I would buy it in a heartbeat. Serial Number #300 isn't a Loar bench copy though it is...
  24. Re: Do great looking mandolins have to sound better?

Not usually. Fancy (relatively) wood is just as easy to get and it sounds just a good, so why build with plain wood?

Some things:
    It has been said that "perception is reality". Generalizing here,...
  25. Re: Do great looking mandolins have to sound better?

The difference in cost of "fancier" woods compared to plainer woods in a mandolin are minor in the grand scheme of things. They usually do take greater care to work with. Anyone that's ever tried to...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4