Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: What next to get?

Honestly, it's pretty rare for even cheapo tuners to be responsible for instruments "not staying in tune." Usually there's some binding in the nut slots that means string tension's not equally...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: How to remember tunes?

My suggestion would be to ease up on the self pressure to have tunes committed to memory within 4 months of taking up a new instrument and also having no previous musical background. To me it sounds...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: The Myth of Perfection

I've come to be almost offended by the very word "perfect" or "perfection".
    I am a perfectionist. Most people don't know what that means. Most people think it means someone who does excellent work....
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Apitius J Model just arrived

Very Nice indeed, I love the look of the neck on your J! I'm oh so jealous as I'm still waiting on mine-funny! No I have patience but sure I'm pretty thrilled knowing mine's on its way.
  5. Replies
    Views

Mine is scheduled to be delivered this Thursday, so if she arrives I'll have to wait awhile to open the box as well. Its been real fun working with Oliver on my build, pretty easy as all I did was...
  6. Replies
    Views

doggone it's beautiful, I can only fantasize that an Apitius would be the ultimate in tone and playability
  7. Replies
    Views

NMD Kelley A5

Welp, Kelley A5 #79 arrived safe and sound yesterday! Thanks to Kevin at Mandomutt in NC for working with me, and especially answering my questions over the weekend. I'm not recommending you bother...
  8. Replies
    Views

3 Month Stiver Review

After initiating a thread on Stiver mandolins when I ordered mine one year ago and now having had in my possession mine after nearly three months I thought a review was in order. I would like to do a...
  9. Re: If money was no object, and perfect bluegrass tone was only g

William - Thank you for your response! I'm jealous that you're about to receive your Apitius! Or have you already? I'd really love to hear some more samples of his Loar Spec instruments. The video of...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD - Apitius Classic

I got a message last night from Oliver and yes the cases are in and he's working on them and will ship mine on Monday-God willing! Hey check out my profile page as I started an Apitius mando group!...
  11. Re: Unexpected things/benefits about playing mandolin

This may be corny but its true: picking up the mandolin brought me here. I enjoy being here as much, but in a different way, as playing.
  12. Unexpected things/benefits about playing mandolin

Starting this as a companion thread to the "why mandolin" thread.

I started mando as an easier guitar with a unique voice, but over the years have had many unexpected and pleasant surprises about...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Specific Pick Direction Question

I was taught when I learned guitar that the smallest note value in the phrase, so 16th notes in this case, sets the "down up" pattern. This functionally turns your right hand into a subdividing...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Tenor Guitar/Banjo Players

Everything I own is tuned GDAE.
    I'm to old to learn several tunings.
    And, too slow witted to transpose on the fly.
    Gary