Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: Ability to Jam

by gfury
    Replies
    Views

Re: Ability to Jam

We all have good days and bad days.

For coming up with a break on the fly, the pentatonic scale is your friend. Learn it in a closed position, and in open positions for for the keys you...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Upper body exercise and finger speed

A very timely topic for me. Upper-body exercise seems to help my playing. Light wood splitting , yardwork, some push-ups. Overall my strength and coordination seems better.
  3. Replies
    Views

Tips and strategies for shifting

I've reviewed this thread on shifting vs position playing. It references the Sierra Hull video which shows a simple shifting technique.

I'm looking for additional strategies and exercises for...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Performing in a sport coat

Caught in the act ...

Bass player wore a suit and tie ....
  5. Replies
    Views

Performing in a sport coat

We had a new year's eve gig and at the last minute it was decided that we should "dress up".

I've never performed wearing a sport coat, and we didn't have an opportunity to practice in our...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: What is the story behind the "scroll"

7. Replies
    Views

Re: Double Stop workshop

I really enjoyed the workshop. I came away with a few things that I can use right away, and some stuff to add to my practice routine.
  8. Re: Does anyone have experience or advice about finger rehabilita

I'm so sorry to hear about this. I hope and pray that you make a full recovery.

I do not have any personal experience with hand rehabilitation, but I do have a couple of friends who have had hand...
  9. Replies
    Views

Shopping in Nashville

I'll be visiting Nashville for a few days at the end of July. I've never been there.

I'd like to take the opportunity to look for a companion (upgrade) for my Collings MT. Carter's will be at...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Golden Gate "Clown Barf" Extra Stiff Pick

I use automotive polishing compound. I just had this container lying around and started using it.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Always use a strap? Even when seated?

I always use a strap. As has been said before, it helps to ensure that the instrument stays in a consistent position.

I've gone one step further and lined my leather strap with a strip of rubber...
  12. Re: Newbie (2 months) on the mandolin and needing help/advise.

Could be your setup. Your action may be too high at the nut and/or the bridge.

You also may want to try lighter gauge strings until you gain more strength in your fingers.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Double Stops Question

I use them often. The more I play through a song, and become comfortable and fluid with it, the more opportunities I find to use double stops to fill out the sound.

If you know the chord...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Bridge foot marks/resale value

I've got the same mando (MT A style, same color, same finish). I bought it used with the same issue. I ignore it.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Metronome Android app recommendations, please

I use one called "The Metronome by Soundbrenner". So far it's the best I've found. Has many more features than I need. Very smooth and the user-interface is very nice.

16. Replies
    Views

Re: Northeastern Bluegrass festival

Gettysburg is a little further east of Del Fest. They have one in May and one in August.

The May festival (5/14 - 5/17) is the week before Del Fest (5/21 - 5/24).
  17. Re: Celebrating The Mandolin Pickers Guide to Bluegrass Improvisa

Same experience here. I've been playing mando for a few years, but going back to the arpeggio exercises that are presented in the beginning this book has been eye (and ear) opening.
  18. Re: Celebrating The Mandolin Pickers Guide to Bluegrass Improvisa

That worked for me! Just bought the digital version.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Back to guitar after mandolin break

Long-time guitar player as well. Picked up mandolin a few years ago. I try to practice (play) both daily.

I do think that playing the mandolin has helped my guitar playing, and my ear in general.
  20. Replies
    Views

Dorrigo Fiddle Tune

Has anyone worked out the George Jackson tune Dorrigo on mandolin? A fiddler friend of mine introduced it to me. I've found it to be quite challenging (I'm still working on it). Some unusual...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Pain in Fretting Hand?

Same here. Lately been working on B-flat scale patterns in first position. It's a stretch and I was having some pain in the left hand palm area for a couple of weeks.

I've tried to relax, and...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Music Streaming service question...

I'm pretty happy with Spotify. We have a family plan that allows up to 6 devices. I can find all the bluegass, folk and Americana that I want to listen to, or play along with. I like being able to...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Web based backing track tool?

Strum Machine (https://strummachine.com/).

I've been using it and it's pretty good. Not crazy about the subscription model though.

It's simple to use, and has lot's of functionality for a...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: See think play to auto feel play

I've been working with the Strum Machine backing track tool (www.strummachine.com).

I put on a simple song that I know well (Angeline the Baker, or Bury Me Beneath the Willow) at a slow tempo.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Learning different keys

This ^^^^

Look at FFcP (Four-Finger Closed Position) www.mandolincafe.com/eschliman1.html

Patterns that can be moved all over the fretboard.
Page 1 of 2 1 2