Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: D-Addario Monels

Is it me? Can’t help thinking that, back in the day, all that was available were monel type strings and, when phosphor bronze strings became available, they were something of a revelation. What do...
  2. Replies
    Views

My first song with the 1995 A-5G

I thought this should get it's own thread. Kind of raw, but it was fun to record with my Nick Lucas guitar. (this is my original song)
  3. Replies
    Views

CA Central Coast Jams

Upcoming shows:
    https://otteropry.org

Jams:
    Morgan Hill Grange Tuesdays 6:30-9PM
    Dennis the Menace Park Monterey Wednesdays 11:00 – 12:30
    Sand City City Hall 1st and 3rd Thursday 7-9PM
    The ...
  4. Moses/Douglas/Hull/Bush/Fleck/Trischka/Strings/Sutton/Tuttle/Clev

Moses/Douglas/Hull/Bush/Fleck/Trischka/Strings/Sutton/Tuttle/Cleveland/Duncan/Meyer

and i think i missed one or two. Masters of the craft all on stage at once- wait for it starts at 5:00 ...
  5. The Slocan Ramblers ft John Reischman /// Stoney Creek

I had blast getting John Reischman to join my band The Slocan Ramblers for some twin mandos on Stoney Creek. Check out his solo, damn!

tNrvktgWjqA
  6. “The Price You Pay” Springsteen Cover

Me (and two other mes) doing one of my favorite Bruce tunes- love the music and lyrics to this one. Used my J Bovier for some nice color, I think. Hope you enjoy!

https://youtu.be/-XlsoM5jf7M
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins in LA? shops?

I'm not sure that mandolins are allowed south of the Bay area . . .
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Memorizing a song

This question comes up often, and I always post this video. I was trying to resist this time, but failed.

https://youtu.be/6yJtNh0TMpM
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Bluegrass in catalan

Hey kwd,

The video is still up, under the name of "Al Ras Band" -a band made for a festival that never happened because of Covid. Thanks for asking!

5zUIFsqs_HI
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: 1912 Gibson A

Here's the Beethoven Sonatina - I don't think this mandolin was played very much, but what a cool experience to bring it to life, the more I play it the more it seems to respond.

YadnXgSRYjU
  11. Aaron Weinstein's New Apitius yorkville mandolin

Hi all,

I'm so excited by the new mandolin I just received from genius luthier, Oliver Apitius. In my opinion, there is no mandolin that is better suited to Jazz. And it plays like a dream. I...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Just tuning. Will it make things better?

I've been told I use "un-just, ill-tempered tuning." It's a personal preference.
  13. Replies
    Views

Bluegrass in catalan

Hi!

Here's the link to a bluegrassy song that I wrote, which lyirics are written in catalan (the language from Catalunya, north-east of Spain). It's just a silly and humorous song about the...
  14. Re: Thoughts on neck profiles and a mandolin upgrade

I’m gonna throw this out there cause I feel that it may be of some use to someone. I recently got a new mandolin and it has a slightly different neck shape then my mandolin that I’m used to playing....
  15. Re: Playing Mandolin with the Church Praise Team

I have played mandolin with church praise groups for most of the last 28 years. I played guitar in praise groups for about 10 years before that. I can only say what I have done that seems to work, in...
  16. Replies
    Views

16/16 Rockygrass

I don't think you could beat this ending with a royal flush.

Cool to see Wyatt Rice in there.

I was jamming along on the mandola, and 16/16 works surprisingly well on mandola!
  17. Re: Any modern(cheaper) mandolins with a Gibson model A 1924 soun

I have lost count on how many Gibson style oval hole mandolins I have made, but it would be at least 150. The best sounding Gibson I have come across was a 1924 Gibson snakehead junior. Was serious...
  18. Awashonks' Waltz ( Original ) Solo Mandolin

This a fresh song I've dedicated to a great Native American Woman Sachem, a Chief. One that lived and died very close to my home. I was born and lived my whole life here in Plymouth County MA. And...
  19. Angeline the Baker // Mandolin Crosspicking

Here is a little impromptu solo crosspicking on the classic "Angeline the Baker."

https://youtu.be/nN8TjJVHUSY

Thanks for watching!
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: What chord is this?

You're both right. C#=Db
  21. A take on Tipsy Gipsy (clarinet included!)

Hello everyone!

Here's a take on Mr. Grisman's awesome Tipsy Gisy where I'm playing mandolin. It should have been one of the songs we were supposed to play during a concert this next weekend but,...
  22. Replies
    Views

Like they don't know me

Hi everyone,

I'm sharing a little musical catharsis with you all. I recently went through one of these moments when you feel like you're not in sync with your loved ones. Like they didn't know me...
  23. Replies
    Views

The Old Rugged Cross

I hope everyone is having a great Easter. The link to my new vid is below.

https://youtu.be/WiA-WM4PE74
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Reduce costs pleased

Don’t assume that companies sit back and just decide they want more money for their product. Costs of doing business increase over time, be they raw materials, rent, wages, taxes, marketing costs or...
  25. Re: Sound: opinions sought on technique vs instrument, i.e. anti-

No-one goes to a show to hear an instrument, they go to hear the player.

Well, except for people from Mandolin Cafe - we would literally go to a show just to hear a particular instrument no...
Page 1 of 2 1 2