Search:

Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Franks' Mandolin Kitchen

Hi Folks! Here's the first two videos I ever posted. 13 Years ago, shot on a Sony 8 digital tape. These were shortly before I found the MC and got back into mandolin again. Thanks for the...
  2. Thread: Aged-tone?

by DaveGinNJ
    Replies
    Views

Re: Aged-tone?

I get my aged-tone from being old. I’m not torrified, just naturally old
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: 14” octave string set questions

The musical scale is a geometric progression of the 12th root of 2.
  4. Replies
    Views

IMO you can't completely separate music, or at least rhythm, from math. Also fret placement, string tension, intervals, harmonics, etc. are all derived mathematically.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Which kind of Mandolin you play ?

Well ya gotta start somewhere, right? I’m playing a mandolin that I assembled from one of those cheap kits on eBay. I leveled and crowned the frets, made a Corian nut for it, fit the bridge to the...
  6. Replies
    Views

There a thing about vibrating strings that most people don’t know. There is a dead area at both ends of a vibrating string. The thicker the string the longer that area is. And the shorter the string...
  7. Replies
    Views

Roni Stoneman R.I.P.

Roni Stoneman, born Veronica Loretta Stoneman, often called the "First Lady of the Banjo," passed away February 22nd in Nashville TN. She was probably best known as the distaff half of the feudin'...
  8. Leather Britches played by John and Steve Reischman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGK8BwJahOI

and while we are at it, this came right after the above video, and probably most of us have watched it(more than a few times) i thought it might be a...
  9. Re: Recording King A-style mandolin on the cheap.

It should be noted that a final setup is not (and should not) be done by factory anyway, regardless of the price tag. The action on an instrument is down to personal preference. I have no issue with...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Demonstrating a mandolin

The young lady who did the latest Klos CF review did a nice job with her demonstration, and I agree that her type of approach tells you more about an instrument than someone tearing it up who I’ll...
  11. Replies
    Views

They want you to imagine yourself playing awesome stuff on their mandolin. It’s the same reason commercials for SUVs show the car riding in rugged, cool, off-road places instead of the driver go to...
  12. Replies
    Views

This is a good suggestion that I really never thought of... I'm going to bring this up next filming.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Franks' Mandolin Kitchen

Thanks Guys! Here's an old English folk tune. Thanks for the Listen!~o):mandosmiley::mandosmiley:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA2Oa9ao1u0
  14. Replies
    Views

My engraving process

Hi everyone,

It looks like I joined back in 2016 but never posted.

I recently discovered the baroque mandolino and it’s fascinating music, so I have been lurking around here recently. I don’t...
  15. Early 1900s University of Washington Mandolins

I work at the University of Washington and came across some old photos of campus and had to scan this one in for you all.

I thought it was interesting to find five mandolins in this... Orchestra?...
  16. Billy Strings and Christopher Henry - Midnight on the Stormy Deep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_aqhiV2V8w
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Replacing a broken tailgate

I prefer taping around the bridge so you know where it was supposed to be. I also take a pencil and mark the bass side of the bridge base and saddle on the underside. That's assuming it's in the...
  18. Re: D'Addario Micro Headstock vs Micro Clip Free tuners

I have big clip on tuners on my instruments and don’t care what they look like or what they cover, as long as they don’t scratch the headstock and help me stay in tune.

I dress funny too, so...
  19. Re: Ordered a Northfield F5S, Received a Big Mon Wide Nut by Mist

Not to pile on with all of us willing to spend your money for you, but here goes: I'm with the majority who favor finding a way to keep it. I'm more of a guitar player who can play mandolin. I can...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: RH vs wood moisture content.

In the highly recommended (essential, IMO) book Understanding Wood by R. Bruce Hoadley there is this graph. He tells the reader to copy it, hang it on your shop wall, make it public, so I have no...
  21. Replies
    Views

Old Time 100: Waynesboro

I've been really enjoying working through Tristan Scroggins and George Jackson's Old Time 100 project - recordings and videos of 100 old-time tunes that are frequently called in jams, based on input...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Birthday Tom Rozum

Yes, indeed. He's also a master of playing backup behind a vocal.
  23. Replies
    Views

Happy Birthday Tom Rozum

May you have a warm, happy and lovely birthday.

One of his wonderful songs, sadly never on an album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv5UPOgGeEQ
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Most common failures and problems

1. Mis-located bridge [on mandolins].
    2. Nut needs adjustment. On guitars, the bridge saddle also.
    3. Truss rod needs adjustment [note: in most cases, on well-made instruments, once...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin content on YouTube

Man’lin cafe
Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 4