Search:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Late Night Trashy Mandolin Music

It's the anniversary of the report of Late Night Trashy Mandolin Music played yards from Cafe headquarters on this date 1890. Long live Late Night Trashy Mandolin Music.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Sinéad O'Connor

When it's not okay to speak one's mind (and isn't music one way of speaking one's mind), then the culture has moved backward. We don't have to all agree, and we might be offended at times, but if we...
  3. Ovation & Crafter - A Few Observations

I'm very new to mandolins but currently have both an Ovation and a Crafter, so thought I'd do a brief comparison in case anyone else finds themselves with a similar situation.

I play guitar and...
  4. Replies
    Views

I JUST GOT MY NEW howard morris a5...

and I like it. Great craftsmanship, looks nice, and has a lovely bright sound with very good sustain. It was a very reasonable price for what I received. It came with a gig bag, but I think it...
  5. Replies
    Views

Played my first gig

Hi everyone, just a celebratory post for my first gig. It was only on a street corner at a local festival with a kind of steam-punk dance troupe (we call Morris Dancing) but it’s a big deal for me as...
  6. Thread: Vintage?

by MikeEdgerton
    Replies
    Views

Re: Vintage?

For those that are apparently being offended by some terms being used here you should all think about your own contributions to this thread. For everyone else, other than a few small infractions this...
  7. Thread: Vintage?

by rcc56
    Replies
    Views

Re: Vintage?

At least this "boomer" has learned not to look upon older or younger folks with contempt simply because their age or tastes might be different.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Cape Breton mandolin (1976)

I have have few points to make about Cape Breton traditional music. I have roots in and spent a great deal of time in Cape Breton, and am the grandson of a Cape Breton fiddler. I play tunes in the...
  9. Re: Advice on buying a new mandolin? Been playing for 15+yrs

Nothin' worse 'n' a warped Johnson...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson doubleneck

I do like that Gibson mando/6 string. Would be great to have them take a run at improving the design with modern pickup tech.

I like doubles and confess to owning one. It's like a swiss-army-knife...
  11. Replies
    Views

A new Art Deco inspired mandolin

A year or two back the National Music Museum in South Dakota published The Masters Bench by Paul Schmit and Arian Sheets. It is a book about the work of John D'Angelico, Jimmy D'Aquisto and Paul...
  12. Thread: Nmd

by Sheila Lagrand
    Replies
    Views

Nmd

Today I spent a delightful hour or so with Brian Farmer, owner of Sun Valley Guitars, our sorta-local MandolinCafe.com sponsor. At the end of our visit, I left my Eastman MD305 with him and walked...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Crosspicking vs "the Other Kind"

Grandfather's Clock played "flatpicking" style: linear, ornamented, without the arpeggiation on multiple strings:

MSehggFieGA

Grandfather's Clock played in crosspicking, a la Jack Tottle:
  14. Custom James tailpiece for Rattlesnake mandolin

Hey everybody,
    I wanted to upgrade my Rattlesnake mandolin tailpiece to a James. After seeing some of Weldon Lister’s work on this site, I reached out to him. He created this design. It will be...
  15. Goodbye to.. my Stiver, my Collings, my Rigel...

i've played music in various bands for 45 years of my life , and now have to move on forever from fretted instruments. alas , due to recent neurosurgery i lost the use...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin from a kit

The paper between the joints is usually done in order to test the tone, easily remove the back, make adjustments and reassemble. Once the desired tone is reached, the back and paper are removed for...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: What's in your case?

Oops... Wrong thread.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Tenor guitars

Douglas-fir, Oregon myrtle, and black walnut. Just about the favorite thing I've made.
  19. Replies
    Views

NMD: Collings MF Deluxe

I bit the bullet and upgraded from my Kentucky KM-1050 today (which I’m keeping to let my daughter play). I bought a Collings MF Deluxe and couldn’t be happier. I wasn’t sure the difference would be...
  20. Replies
    Views

“It’s Now or Never” Saturday Jam

Kind of putting myself out there, everyone- I just picked up the mandolin a week ago, and I thought would make a nice rhythm instrument for today’s Saturday Jam on my YouTube channel- I’ve been...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: To Cafe Members on the US West Coast

I was born in Oregon and lived there for the first 30 years of my life. I have family there, I have friends there, I have friends that lost relatives. My sister has been chased out of her house twice...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: New Big Muddy MW-0

This one just came in...
  23. Thread: Gangstagrass?

by trodgers
    Replies
    Views

Re: Gangstagrass?

I believe music is a gift for all people. Some artists see beyond the boundaries of what we call genres and work/produce/play/create together. Some artists remain attached to certain forms and...
  24. Interesting study on pentatonic scale usage

I was browsing around the net on the topic of pentatonics this morning and came across this interesting study from Anton Schwartz.

https://antonjazz.com/2016/01/pentatonic-scales/
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Old vs New Oval

I am one of the "others", having made around 200 so far and still going. The very old Gilchrists do replicate the old Gibsons, but he changed the body size quite a few years ago, can't remember...
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4