Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: My 1927 snakehead Gibson Ajr

Ohh ... what a beauty! So happy for you. I have a 1923 Ajr Paddlehead Gibson mandolin. She was reincarnated in 1976 by Ken Ratcliff of Silverangel Mandolins. http://silverangelmandolins.com/SM/
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Left hand arthritis

I have chronic arthritis and the one thing that has completely 86'd the pain is taking turmeric almost daily. It's really a food, so you can't take too much from what I can tell. It takes a while...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson A Jr. Owners

Yes, I really like GHS. I put on the Lights, though. They are fine. I have a A JR 1923 Paddlehead

http://www.juststrings.com/ghs-a250.html

Good Luck!
  4. Re: Saturday haiku contest to win a Cafe ball cap

So here’s the cafe
    Ordered coffee with au lait
    Got a cap instead
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Strings dramatically going flat

Thanks again for the suggestions. Thing is, I'm so swamped with work, it takes me a while to clear the deck for mandolin playing, much less equipment tweaking (which I don't like to do). I'll carve...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Why I Don't Listen To Country Music.

This is the country music that works for me. Music is great. There's a lid for every pot.

v6J-SBfMP5A
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Just had to say something.

Okay …. this person in question is a real class act. He graciously accepted my comments and we had a nice dialogue. Fairy dust, fairy dust, fairy dust. Maybe I helped to save him from carpal;...
  8. Re: Embarrassment and Regret: Part of the Learning Process

Just remembered a saying from a dear friend of mine: "When someone says they're perfect, it just means they've made more mistakes than you."
  9. Re: Ways to Get More From Your Practice Time?

I've cherry picked the advice that's helping me the most.

10 mins of warming up
    10-15 mins of a new musical exercise, arpeggio or scale pattern
    20 mins working on new tune
    20 just playing...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Gone over to the dark side.

I'm very familiar with Angelina Carberry and just saw John Carty here in Portland a few weeks ago. I'll check out Keiran Hanrahan. Brian M???

Well, the best known session is Sunday evenings at...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: "Highland Strands" cd by Kevin Macleod

Congratulations, Kevin! I'm a little slow here … just bought some of the tunes from your new CD. I'm really enjoying it.

Cheers,

L
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Gone over to the dark side.

I see that, Charles. I’m tuning it ala mandolin …. didn’t realize there were more tunings. I’m very green here.

Ah, nylguts … good idea. Thanks crisscross.

Thanks, foldedpath. Enda Scahill’s...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: New pick, but which ?

Like Liestman, I'm Irish Trad almost exclusively. After years of picking through picks, here are my favorites:

1. Jim Dunlop 512P14 Primetone 1.4mm Triangle Sculpted Plectra Guitar Picks
    2. ...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for a 'big' mandolin

Haha …. I'm working on developing a thicker skin for when that banjo arrives. I've made up my mind, Allen … not selling that Muddy, it's an amazing instrument … thanks. I'll look at mandolin and...
  15. Like reconnecting with a long lost friend

My family has seen fit to purchase a 114 year old home for the family. This meant that I gave up my cozy little apartment next to the river for inner city life and non stop work. Between caring for...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Just have to brag!

Congratulations, MTO … I remember how proud I was when I got my first mandolin. I still have it!

---------------------------------------------------------
    Seriously … this is this person's first...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Question about mandolin instructors

Um … I'd say you have the wrong teacher. Really? Support role of mandolin in bluegrass? That's only a fraction of the mandolin "genre". My red flags shot up like Old Faithful when I read that.
  18. Re: What song made you want to play Mandolin?

Old Joe Clark
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: In a Dry Climate

Me ... well, I'd drink the whiskey and use some white vinegar on the sponge. Whiskey fixes my nose and the vinegar kill the fungi and smell. Just sayin'.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Need Opinions Please!

Amen to how the mandolin feels when you play it. My beater and Muddy were the only mandolins I got to play before purchasing. Both will continue to be in our mandolin family here. Curious as to why...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: "Inside Llewylyn Davis"--sneak review

Yes, but then this was the SF Bay area. We were pioneers in many areas. The only other place where men began to bear children was in NYC .... in the beginning of the drag queen days. Ah, those were...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: "Inside Llewylyn Davis"--sneak review

Film, like music and art is subjective and there's something for everybody. Who cares if someone doesn't like what you like ... unless someone's itchin' for a tussle 'cause that's their mood. ...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Obnoxious ads!

Might I recommend my favorite malware removal software? (assuming you're using a Windows machine ... not a Mac): Malwarebytes. They have a free version. Their software saved me at least $100 when...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: good luthiers

I'd ask Ken Cartwright, he's a member here at the cafe and works in the NW Oregon area. He goes by the name mandomedic as I recall. He might be able to refer you to someone in your area.
  25. Re: Genres of music having a historical connection and significan

I'm with you on being able to relate to the Blues, BlindBard. Same with Appalachian, Texas Swing, Bluegrass, and Cajun music. Like food, that music feeds me ... feeds my soul, if you will. It comes...
Page 1 of 2 1 2