Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman El Rey?

Hi Doc,
    The El Rey has an electromagnetic pickup in it, so it is meant to be played through a 'guitar' amplifier, rather than directly through a PA or 'acoustic' amplifier. People hereabouts have...
  2. Replies
    Views

Kevin Bacon on mandolin.

Kevin Bacon and his wife Kyra Sedgwick sing 'In Spite of Ourselves' by John Prine.

Enjoy!
    Dem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDXV5XRcnpM
  3. Replies
    Views

Thank you, Eastman

On Saturday (three days ago) I unpacked a five year old Eastman mandola that I purchased used. Tuning it up, I noticed a problem with the bridge saddle intonation cuts. Saturday night I contacted...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman El Rey?

You won't need distortion, a bit of overdrive will create as dirty a sound and be a bit more versatile with 8 strings.

It's fun.

But I prefer to use an 8 string in place of a 12-string guitar...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Breaking in or Opening Up

The more you play it, the better it sounds. So yes. it's science.

To quote the NYT: "Researchers in England say that laboratory tests conducted on wood commonly used to make violins supports...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Breaking in or Opening Up

I feel it’s something that can happen, but can’t be counted on. I just had an experience with an adi top. When I first strung my Arches up, I was pretty pleased, but the G strings didn’t have quite...
  7. Replies
    Views

Facebook Live House Concerts

Hey All,

I'm no gigging musician but I sure know it's dire out there now for those who are. For the past two nights, I've really enjoyed watching Michael Ronstadt play on FB Live from his bedroom...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: We need songs for these times

Thanks, Drew. Here's a mandolin version. If links don't work, search YouTube for "dysentery stomp/timblairmusic" .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqktbtg4rr0

9. Replies
    Views

Re: Musician quotes

"Stay away from them doughnuts boys, they's tuff an they ain't a bit sweet."
    - Bill Monroe sampling a bagel
  10. The Year Folk Broke: How Nickel Creek Made Americana The New Indi

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/13/814739478/nickel-creek-self-titled-20-years-americana-roots-folk-country

"Then, 20 years ago this month, an album arrived that seemed to speak all these languages at...
  11. Replies
    Views

Great Practice Tool!

I was looking through some old posts this morning and ran across a thread about practice tools. A website called www.fbbts.com (Free Bluegrass Backup Tracks) has a good selection of backup tracks in...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Oddly shaped mandolin identity

True, but it'd be one way to get that high lonesome sound. :disbelief:
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Need your expertise: thinking ahead

I have always believed, and my own experience has verified, that if you are going to play mandolin, you should focus on getting the best mandolin you can afford and look toward getting a mandolin in...
  14. Replies
    Views

Nice story about Mike Marshall's Loar

About 10 years ago or so I was attending an industry retreat in Massachusetts at which we were lucky enough to have Mike Marshall, along with a couple of young guys on violin and bass, play for us...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Anyone seen an Eastman El Rey?

The mandolin is named after the El Rey electric guitar Eastman has been selling for quite a while; the mandolin is a small version of that body shape.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Anyone seen an Eastman El Rey?

I love mine. Great feel and playability, excellent tone, and the custom Lollar pickup is amazing.
  17. Thread: Help me understand

by CES
    Replies
    Views

Re: Help me understand

I’ve owned a Weber Hyalite OM that was carved top/back with an oval hole. It was a rhythm machine but the 22.5 inch scale length was too much for me to cleanly play melodies without a ton of...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Where are Pono Octave Mandolins made?

OK, that thread has the name of the owner with a phone number. It might be a good idea to simply call and have a conversation. You'd have to have an appointment to go there anyway. You could also...
  19. Replies
    Views

As discussed elsewhere, I dig my Pono octave mandolin. Guitar-shaped, mine came with a K&K pickup installed by the previous owner. I don't foresee selling it, unless financial times were hard.

20. Replies
    Views

I recently took the plunge into the world of octaves and ended up getting a Pono. Essentially, I wanted an instrument that would sound full while accompanying myself or another vocalist, without...
  21. Replies
    Views

Welcome back Doc. In my experience and it hasn't been all that extensive, I have determined (at least for me) that it's a preference like in "I like the way my F style mandola looks better than I...
  22. Replies
    Views

Can't help you with the UNDERSTANDING instrument differences but, I can help you understand that motorcycles are dangerous ! Even if you are not at fault you will come out on the short end of the...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Silverangel Econo A #446

Dig it! I used heavies for year on a few mandolins, going fir that big tone, but when I tried J74s it actually increased the volume on a particular model. The heavier strings can restrict some tops,...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Musician Jokes

So several years ago my band played a gig at a local church. After we had finished the folks started going downstairs for some coffee and cake. A woman came up to me and said "Those were some of the...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Musician Jokes

Finally, a cure.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4