Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Willie Nelson’s Bluegrass Album

When I listened to this album, I missed the bluegrass drive I know that backup band is capable of. But in the end they're just doing a good job of making Willie sound good. If they tried to sound...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Jescar EVO Gold fretwire discontinued

Stewmac has a gold fretwire they market as "long life" as well. The narrowest crown offered is .084" though.
  3. Re: How is Tuning Drift with Rubner Tuning Machine

In the "it's almost certainly not the tuning machines" camp: how the strings are installed is also critically important to tuning stability. If you have overlapping wraps, or wraps that aren't...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: mandolin tattoos

Fresh from Friday.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Preferred wire cutters?

Exactly. Any decent hardware-store diagonal cutters will do. Avoid the small electronics wire cutters though, the jaws on those are too delicate and cutting steel strings will ruin them.
  6. Thread: Refretting

by Andy Miller
    Replies
    Views

Re: Refretting

I find a bag of lead birdshot to be an essential tool for refrets. Having the neck resting on a bag of shot makes all the difference when seating frets, especially if your work...
  7. Re: Advice needed on K&K mandolin twin pickup install

I prefer to have the tailpiece mounted when I drill for the endpin jack. It's easy to drill through both the TP and the tailblock with a step bit until you get the TP hole big enough for the jack,...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Tone Dexter users?

No, it does not run on batteries. It comes with its own power supply but can be powered by most pedalboard power supplies.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Tone Dexter users?

In my opinion it is a game-changer. While I would stop short of claiming the wave maps sound "exactly like the miked instrument," I will say this: Almost every wave map I've created for mandolin...
  10. Replies
    Views

Honky Tonk Happy Hour

Here's something sorta western-swingy for your enjoyment - original music by my friend Ben Benedict.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1azbBlIQnQ
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: 2 Fret Questions

This is not true - a quick look here will bear that out. While it's true that most saws commonly used for fret slotting will work OK with most fretwires, one still needs to understand if they're...
  12. Re: How to safely remove K and K pickups from archtop guitar.

Well that's easy enough - you don't! It's more like you hook your finger in there to lay the blade against the inside of the top next to the transducer, then push the blade in with your fingertip.
  13. Re: Grace Design Felix - internal settings and piezo maximization

The output level of a Feather is definitely less than that of a K&K. And they are less easy to install than a K&K. Everything adds up here! But hang on to that Feather if it's intact, I think...
  14. Re: How to safely remove K and K pickups from archtop guitar.

You should be able to carefully remove them by insinuating a single-edged razor blade in between pickup and top. Take your time. Observe and make sure you're not digging into either the top or the...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: 2 Fret Questions

You are doing a refret at that point and refrets always require making sure the fret slot is repaired of chips from fret removal, cleaned out, and sized appropriately to the new fret.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Stationary mic vs. clip on

No kidding. As others have mentioned, one of the great things about a stand-mounted mic is you can back away when you want to be back further in the mix. Although having to recreate that with a...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Show your Mando "Gig Rig"!

I've had great results with the GLXD16. As others have pointed out, results can vary in tough RF environments, and/or with poor line-of-sight. In the pedal form factor, keep in mind that receiver...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Show your Mando "Gig Rig"!

Pictured here are two alternative rigs:

1. Preferred, whenever it makes sense - just play into the KSM8 mic!
    2. When plugging in is required, my board here contains a Shure GLXD16 wireless,...
  19. Re: taller frets makes it sound better, more sustain.

Another thing that will improve tone/sustain is having frets better-seated than the originals were, and perhaps even sealed in with glue. And maybe even a little stiffening of the overall neck...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Titebond 'hide' glue..

That product is widely regarded as "not fit for instrument-building." That's debatable, and has been debated here on the Cafe. But it's a fact that it's not the same thing as fresh hot hide glue. ...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Tailpiece replacement

I'm pretty sure I once purchased a replacement Rigel tailpiece directly from Gold Tone. I don't know whether it's currently possible to do that, but you could probably find out in one phone call.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: My first refret, and questions

Pointer for next time - cut your frets closer to their finished length and you'll spend less time nipping/filing the tang back. You've got a lot of overhang on some of those!
  23. Re: Gluing Frets Into Oversized Slots (Without Hammering or Press

I thought the 'Teeter Method' had fallen by the wayside and felt the same way about it, until I got two recent banjos from two prominent, current banjo makers in for refrets and found that both were...
  24. Thread: Super glue

by Andy Miller
    Replies
    Views

Re: Super glue

I always have medium and water thin onhand, and usually some gel and brush-on too. Depends on what you need to do. I wouldn't put superglue in a syringe, I'd figure you'll just end up with a ruined...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: d'Addario EJ74 packaging

I agree. The little stickers are annoying - noticed it on the beta set of nickel bronzes I got and now it seems to be how they do it. Maybe we should email them directly and suggest that they come...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3