Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. My visit to Northfield Mandolins and Elderly Instruments

Instead of going to the upcoming NAMM Show in 2024 decided to pay a visit to Northfield and Elderly Instruments. Northfield was yesterday and was a mind blowing experience getting to play all of...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Time to move up from my Eastman MD515

Dave: could that be a sighting of the elusive Schrödinger's Mandolin?
  3. Replies
    Views

My Grandmother the Mandolinist

Greetings,

After sorting through a ton of family photos I located this image of my paternal grandmother Jessie Howell playing her mandolin, while she was a student at Oberlin College. She no...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins in visual art

Wonder if he was playing "Torna A Surriento." :whistling:

XIsjSuods44
  5. Thread: Ian Coury

by DSDarr
    Replies
    Views

Ian Coury

Seeing this week's Mandolin Monday video with Ian Coury reminded me of two my favorite (relatively) recent youtube discoveries with Ian Coury playing two of my favorite K-Ximbinho pieces: "Ternura"...
  6. Hamilton Holanda & DDG4 - Just amazing playing

Let this unfold from the start to the end. Hamilton on fire matching the amazing vocals of Dani Gurgel and her sister's piano playing, along with incredible bass and drums. This is just amazing. ...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield Mandolins

Hi everyone - happy reading - really hope this helps.

https://www.northfieldinstruments.com/how-northfield-works
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield Mandolins

Might be a good time to educate yourself then. Published 18 months ago here: Northfield Introduces Three New Michigan-Made Instruments. And a reminder that delving into nationalism discussions is...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Question for flat top players

I bought a Beavertail directly from Peter Sawchyn in June and it came with GHS A260 medium/light 11-16-24-38. I asked him if I were to go to mediums would I need to do anything and he said maybe a...
  10. Out of solidarity we will observe Blackout Tuesday

Since inception this site has attempted to serve as an oasis, a respite from the rest of the world, a place to relax, let down and get away from a lot of complicated news, hot button topics, and many...
  11. Mike Marshall's Virtual Mandolin Orchestra

Mike organized this with his ArtistWorks students. He wrote out parts and recorded guide tracks for us and then we all recorded our parts. Another student put the video all together. It was a fun...
  12. Replies
    Views

Read Me First

The old Forum software has been reinstalled. But I wasn't done meddling just yet. I saw some things in the other version and decided they had their place here so changes have occurred in the...
  13. Replies
    Views

OneMic Series- The David Grisman Quintet

Beautiful in every way...

Enjoy!
    Dem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4FCyzZXTVA
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: 2020 NAMM Show Report

A couple of bad videos that were never intended to appear anywhere but on my phone but are now making an appearance here. Sorry about that. This is the Mandolin Cafe and Northfield Mandolins annual...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Question about minor scales

Based on this comment "the first two will probably take care of most things you need", I'm guessing he just mixed the names up, switch Phrygian and Aeolian and everything checks out.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Chinese made Northfield

I prefer to let the 1st owner take the initial hit on depreciation. There is no shortage on high quality used mandolins at 70% of their original price, and that is what they'll likely sell for after...
  17. Replies
    Views

Happy Birthday Jerry

Today is Jerry Garcia's 75th birthday. A great musical presence in my life
    and a wonderful human being whose memory I'll always cherish.

Cheers Spud-Boy!! — Dawg
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Which Mando did Dawg use?

Henry you're absolutely right. I played a '24 Gibson A-4 snakehead on "What Child is This?" (same one I used on Tone Poems). I also used a great sounding Kentucky KM-1500 on the Respighi piece and...
  19. Live Online Performance & Discussion Featuring Weber Mandolins

Hey Guys,

Eva Holbrook here, just wanted to post a note about an online show I'm hosting in my room on Dec 16th featuring my favorite Weber instruments including the Gallatin Sopranolin,...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: The Mandolinist - Happiest on a Stage?

Liveliest mandolinist on-stage I've seen -- Donna Stoneman:

BsRgZRjJfts

Contrast Donna's dancing with Roni's deadpan.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Staying Tuned

Ya know, nothing really stays in tune, which is why they put those li'l pegs or tuning pins or whatever on every stringed instrument. It's a question of degree. It's also why woodwinds and brass...
  22. Replies
    Views

Grisman and Morse

I found an odd video recently - I hope this is not a repost, also the right category to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=64&v=l-Br5P3idxQ

Grisman with the great fusion guitar player...
  23. Re: What's the weirdest MUSICAL thing you've ever done?

The weirdest thing? Besides using the sweet gentle mandolin to play searing psychedelic blues-rock?

vVFt1XWVkYk

(Actually, that can't count, because that's normal to me, AFAIC. ;) ) Maybe it's...
  24. Replies
    Views

Mandolin Symposium photos

If anyone is interested, here are links to photo albums from the Mandolin Symposium (on my facebook page).

Monday night instructor introductions:...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Yes' Chris Squire

Chris, go advanced, click the Youtube icon and insert the bit of the youtube address after the = into the box.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4