Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Considering a trade - is it me or the mandolin

No guidance here. I just received a Clark Two Point that I ordered a year ago. I love everything about it. Did I need it? Emphatically, no. I have a Weber Yellowstone. There was just something...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Learning to Jam – A Primer?

Very new jammer here. I am fortunate enough to play with a very understanding group. I make it a point to lock on to the guitar player who keeps the best rhythm and sit across from him or her to...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick thickness - how to choose?

To confuse things even further, I like the BlueChip CT-55 but I like the feel of a Weber TF-140, mostly because of the tactile feel from the holes. So, I drilled holes in the CT-55 using the Tf-140...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: 11 Year Old Gibson Mandolin Endorser

I worked with a training manager who used to say that if something comes to you easily, that’s talent. You should develop it and run with it. The American ethos is to put in endless hours of hard...
  5. Re: International shipping: any recommendations

You might check with a luthier in your area. They probably run into this occasionally.

Other than that, the usual suspects - FedEx, UPS or DHL.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: The Joy of an OM

Three times I came very, very near being killed. Reaching 73 is something I deeply appreciate. Watching my grandkids and great grandkids is a joy. Playing my mandolin, no matter how badly, is a...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Speed of bluegrass... is it just me?

Listen to the words of Monroe’s Uncle Pen. It is all about the barn dancing. Monroe changed traditional old time music but his early years are immersed in traditional tunes.
  8. Re: Octave Mandolin/Irish Bouzouki - how to choose first instrume

An Eastman MDO305 will get you started if you like the A style. There are other F’s out there or guitar body. Personally, I prefer the GBOM. Austin Clark made mine but it takes awhile to actually...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Strategies for learning without teachers?

I have had a teacher for a couple of years. With his help, I have made much faster progress than I would on my own with YouTube. Occasionally, I attend a camp (virtual these days). There is never...
  10. Re: Seattle and surrounding - looking for jams and musicians

You might try the Washington Bluegrass Association.

washingtonbluegrassassociation.org
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Cafe versus Craigslist

Certified old guy here. It’s not a generational thing. I prefer text or email until I know someone is serious. I don’t want my phone number in the hands of some anonymous person (at least anymore...
  12. Re: Looking to upgrade from first, but Eastman?

Not quite the same mandolin, but I have an Eastman MDO305 that I didn’t care for very much. Someone suggested putting Mandola strings on it. It was like I had a whole different instrument. The...
  13. All of My 2020 Festivals Have Been Cancelled

The last festival that I had signed up for has cancelled. Being in the high risk category, I took the news with mixed emotions.

Apparently, 2021 events aren’t looking so good right now either. ...
  14. Re: Gender and age distribution of mando players

In general, your statistics reflect my jamming experience. Although, there is probably a higher percentage of women.

There are also a fair number of women who are taking up the mandolin after...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Mastering a New Skill

Many years ago I was at a career crossroads. I needed income so I took a gig that involved a lot of computer programming. People had been telling me how technical and difficult it was. After about...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: buying first mando without playing?

A few years ago I stumbled across a new Weber Yellowstone A style for a very low price. Fortunately, I had the money in the bank and after some email exchanges I bought it. It has been a really...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Higher Education for Mandolin

My mandolin teacher graduated from Regis University with a degree in Mandolin Performance. Not sure of the details, if you are interested pm me.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: What's up with USPS?

Ordered books from Amazon with Prime. They were supposed to arrive the next day when I placed the order. The order confirmation email said the they would arrive the following Monday. Monday I...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Internet Radio Stations?

KBOO radio, 9:00 a.m. Saturday Pacific Time.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: New mandolin for an old man

Welcome to the club! I started playing at 70. Unless I am unique, which I doubt, you will go through an evolution of instruments as you learn and play. The most important guidance I received was...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Should I Buy an OM

I bought an OM “just ‘cuz’”. It is a lot of fun but it will never replace my mandolin.
  22. Replies
    Views

Shout Out to Portland Fretworks

As a newbie to mandolin, I bought. Breedlove Crossover. It never sounded "right" but I figured as I learned and gained understanding I would get it. As it turned out, as I learned it sounded worse....
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: One in, one out

Eegads, I treat fretted instruments like stocks. Buy and hold. :)
  24. Re: E Course on My Mando is Pretty Harsh Soundi g

I followed the steps in Rob's book to set up my mandolin. In the end, the bridge was only out about 1/16th of an inch. Guess that means that not all theories prove out in real life. Anyway, I...
  25. Re: E Course on My Mando is Pretty Harsh Soundi g

Rob Meldrum sent me his book and links to his YouTube site. Very cool! All of this knowledge for the price of a PM! Thanks Rob
Page 1 of 2 1 2