Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Suggestions for a wedding march

BTDT, only one suggestion, don't go back to the bride with choices!
  2. Re: How do you think of the fretboard - closed patterns or just n

The mando is tuned like the circle of fifths, study that and then start looking at your fingerboard.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: "Playing the circle of fifths"

Hmmm, HEY JOE is an anomaly, I sure wouldn't base any blank statement around that song.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: "Playing the circle of fifths"

Start Looking at songs with multiple chords and look for snippets of this progression around the circle in fourths.
    B E A D G C F Bb Eb Ab Db Gb
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Help - Monroe's Kentucky Mandolin

The only thing correct in that video is the key! Here's my PDF of how Bill plays it.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Learning songs by ear

Learn to play bass first, it's a lot easier to hear and is the foundation of what's being done with the chords and melody.
  7. Re: Can Anyone Shed Light on this Fiddle Embellishment?

8. Replies
    Views

Re: "Daughters" by John Mayer

You're welcome Bob, good luck.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: "Daughters" by John Mayer

here's the chords to the bridge, they all have a d note in them except A7 when he sings the word "much" (C#), that's the easiest

Am/D Gm/D D D
    DM7 A7 Bm7add11 Bm7add11
    Em9 Em9 D/F# D/F#...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Songwriting

Pick a key and focus on a number as home base in order to get different modes for a melody. If you need chords to fit what you come up with I have a chart for that, I got a million of 'em!

11. Re: Electronic tuner: guide, or unquestionable authority?

Tune the open strings and then check fretted notes up and down the neck. If the fretted notes are out move your bridge to bring them more in line. High action, neck bow, finger pressure and fret...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Etude book or something like that

116 year old answer

http://brittlebooks.library.illinois.edu/brittlebooks_open/Books2011-10/stahwi0001mani64/stahwi0001mani64v00001/stahwi0001mani64v00001.pdf
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Chords Guitar to Mandolin

This chart is similar to a slide rule:
    Visualize the pitch names as the open strings and anything above it as invisible as in the D pitch example. For clarification, find a chord dictionary and look...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Chords Guitar to Mandolin

Here's a chart that shows about everything you would need.

15. Re: When I Get My Reward, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

This is a great song to learn how to "noodle" which is what the mando is doing during this song. This style of playing comes in handy when a steady rhythm pattern would overpower the arrangement....
  16. Re: Help! I can't hear the beat when I play a break

A sense of rhythm is needed for all musicians, I always recommend this app because it gives you feedback plus the ability to read rhythmic notation.
  17. Re: Books...and Specifically, Intermediate Books???

YEET
    I got a lot of musical friends and I think it would be awesome to be able to jam with them and musical friends in the future! So I think building that level of fluency is what I'm going for.
  18. Re: Books...and Specifically, Intermediate Books???

I for one totally agree with JonZ's above statements, the ? is whether you want to eventually. join a band, jam, play only at home for pleasure, etc.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Figuring out chords from sheet music?

Wow starting with jazz would befuddle the vast majority of musicians. The first two chords here are typical jazz chords, Bbm9 and Eb9/Bb. I would suggest starting with the study of guide tones as...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Tab of Fifths

When I began playing 60 years ago I found finger patterns that seemed to magically blend in to the songs I was playing. I had no idea why they worked, I just used them. Eventually when I later began...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Tab of Fifths

This is how I see that in intervals with what I call the phone number 736-2514 or 415-2637.
  22. Re: Anyone know of a website or app that will display all chord n

Here's a chart I made for my students that has the whole ball of wax on one page.
  23. Re: the Allan Holdsworth guitar approach on mandolin

If you want to change guitar chords to mandolin chords leave the first string as this, make the note on the second string two frets higher and flip the third and fourth strings around.
  24. Re: the Allan Holdsworth guitar approach on mandolin

for those of us who are not aliens

25. Re: A few neat exercises from Sierra Hull and Reverb

Here's a pdf of the 2nd exercise.
Page 1 of 2 1 2