Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Help! I can't hear the beat when I play a break

Well the first step toward solving a "problem" is to recognize there is one. Consider approaching your "problem" like this. First listen to a song until you KNOW it. Second play the rhythm until you...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: the addiction...

Because learning to play the mandolin well is a long, dull grind - but buying new instruments is super fun and makes you happy instantly.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: I-IV-V Chords?

Carl23 links to some studies, and Steve makes a point about the usefulness of the Circle of Fifths when you study chords. It is a good thing to learn to play the I-IV-V chords in all twelve keys. But...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Public Domain

I just waded through all of the Parking Lot Picker's Songbook and The Fiddler's Fakebook. I cross checked tunes against various sources for authors, copyright, etc. I now have 83 songs, 55 with...
  5. Thread: Public Domain

by DavidKOS
    Replies
    Views

You would need to concern yourself about anything posted on youtube, facebook, etc.

Private non-commercial CD's should be OK as long as they are not used on the radio, internet, or for public or...
  6. Replies
    Views

I agree, almost. But my pain is coming from my experience with ITM, where tradition is not preservation. Instead, it's constant innovation, everybody creating their own variations of tunes all the...
  7. Replies
    Views

If I understand the discussion correctly, the CDs for family and friends should be okay, strangers no. I have no idea about the Facebook thing, but it seems that a lot of people have done it and I...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Why is there a G Chord in Red Haired Boy?

I guess I think there are really 2 questions here-

If the question is, "Why is there a G chord in Red Haired Boy", I think the proper answer is, "Because it sounds good", at least to the creator...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Why is there a G Chord in Red Haired Boy?

I agree with CarlM above. It's not a " post-creative intellectual exercise." Understanding that the G is there because the tune is in A Mixolydian may not be important if you're playing only the...
  10. Thread: O'Carolan

by Andy Hornby
    Replies
    Views

Re: O'Carolan

I have a collection of Carolan tunes as PDF dots and abc, here:

http://www.andyhornby.net/thursday.html

It's a shame Carolan didn't play thye mandolin! his tunes fit v well!
  11. Replies
    Views

Classic Hymns - Standard & Tab

Here's a collection of classic hymns in standard notation and mandolin tab. Several are in two keys - the original (hymnal) key and a more mandolin friendly key. 69158