Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Opinion on nickel vs. gold aesthetics

Are you referring to the Stiver commission in your signature? If so, mine came with a Stiver engraved brushed nickel tailpiece which I like very much. I did end up replacing the tuning machines with...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Stiver Mandolin Experience

I have had my Stiver since it was new in 2017. It has always been remarkable but it has really been opening up week after week. The mandolin has seen 50+ shows this year. My previous mandolins were a...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Adjustment for Eastman Tuning Pegs

If I'm understanding what you're saying correctly, the issue is in the way the nut is cut. Most tuning issues with instruments is not the tuners, although that is what most people tend to think. A...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: torrefied top MT in the house

I'm really glad the whole torrefied top thing is starting to catch on with mandolins now. It seems like guitar builders have been using torrefied tops for several years and after buying a killer Huss...
  5. Re: So... They seem to think I'm starving and homeless?

Unfortunately, in my area, people who are actually busking are lucky to get anything. Perhaps you should be flattered.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: An album I didn't know existed. Wth? How?

Been a long time fan of John Skehan. I look forward to listening to this. Thanks for the insight!
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Post MAS syndrome

Every time I notice I'm spending too much time looking at this forum or the classifieds, it becomes apparent to me that my time could be much better spent actually playing the wonderful instruments I...
  8. Re: New Mandolin Player... Have a Loar 520, is a Kentucky 800 Bet

I'm in the camp of play it for a while. Give yourself 6-12 months and then upgrade if you want to. I will mention since no one has yet, a proper setup by a luthier even on a brand new instrument may...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Old Gibson with Cedar Top

Agreed, I dont believe that the original poster was asserting that they all had cedar tops...
  10. Thread: Nut slot lube

by Trich
    Replies
    Views

Re: Nut slot lube

A luthier you trust is an invaluable tool to a musician. Speaking of Bruce, I ordered a trust rod cover from his company and he literally called me and talked for a few minutes and made sure I was...
  11. Thread: Nut slot lube

by Trich
    Replies
    Views

Re: Nut slot lube

I'm sort of in the camp of if the nut is cut properly it really shouldn't need any lube. I have never used it on any of my instruments. I have had sticking/clicking while tuning on several...
  12. Thread: Stiver stories

by Trich
    Replies
    Views

Re: Stiver stories

I'm the proud owner of a Stiver F5 #366 with a torrefied red spruce top. I bought it just over a year ago at Acoustic Music Works in Pittsburgh. When I was there trying out mandolins, they had 2...