Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Speakers/Monitors (no mando content)

We use QSC CP8s as monitors at Fiddle Hell. They work great for a variety of bands, and are light.

An interesting and somewhat related point is that the smaller QSCs have a wider horizontal...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson A and Curt Mangan Monels

11, 15, 26, 40 Curt Mangan Monels - Medium Loop End. Excellent sound on older Gibson A's and F's.

I also like their phosphor bronze strings on newer A's (Givens, Kimble).
  3. Re: What’s the nicest mandolin you’ve ever seen?

Very playable 1906 F-4.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Please define “intermediate”

At our Fiddle Hell Festival, whether in person or online, attendees self-assess their levels to decide what workshops and jams to attend. Here's what we tell them (and note that the same person can...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Curt Mangan Monels

I just tried Curt Mangan Monels on my Gibson Fern - fine sound and playability!
  6. Mandolin Track and More at Fiddle Hell Online, April 15-18, 2021

Hi Mandolin Café Friends! Our new schedule and instructor list are posted at https://FiddleHell.org, and registration is open for Fiddle Hell Online, April 15-18, 2021. Our mandolin...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Tommy's Tarbukas and some Seán Nós

Fine playing, but please credit the composer of Tommy's Tarbukas, Scottish fiddler Alasdair Frasier.

Thanks,
    Dave
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: 1906 Gibson F-4 "tree of life" mandolin

Torch & Wire headstock, Tree of Life fingerboard F4's are very rare. They seem to mostly date from 1906, and can be not only beautiful but also very playable (mine is). Probably no one buys a T&W/ToL...
  9. Re: Campanella, Red Diamond, Northfield, Collings experience

I live only 5 minutes from the The Music Emporium and -- as an inevitable result -- have bought many instruments there :-) . They have an excellent staff.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Fiddle Tune (and more)

John Lamancusa (a friend of mine for many years) consistently says "by" to credit composers. For example, Sadie at the Back Door (by Jere Canote). The other names are the sources/versions. His...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Dreaming of a Great A5 under $6000

Well, we all like the mandolins we own :-).

I know you have a few Kimbles, and I'm a giant fan of those as well, having owned an A5 and a two-pointer in the past.

Dave
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Dreaming of a Great A5 under $6000

Could also consider Givens A6 - about in the right price range.

Good luck,
    Dave
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing remotely with friends

Thanks! Video would be nice, and I'll play around more with the settings. but I'd rather be able to add to the physical distance and the number of jammers participating.

For sustain, fiddle helps...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing remotely with friends

JamKazam is working for me. I jammed for an hour on fiddle and mandolin with a friend who's a banjo player. The working combination was an Ethernet connection from modem to computer (not wireless),...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: The virus, the economy, mandolins and you

My gigs for the next few months are cancelled. I am spending more time playing tunes on fiddle and mandolin with my wife, who plays clawhammer banjo and bodhrán. Playing music takes us to a good...
  16. Re: Question for notation-reading CGDAE-instrument players

I prefer A. Definitely not C.

Dave
  17. Re: Anybody happen to have tabs for Temtation Rag?

JL277z, I'm in awe of your analysis! That's probably the reason I'm hearing an A in the second measure.

And the B is just a passing tone (like the D# in the first measure), not requiring any...
  18. Re: Anybody happen to have tabs for Temtation Rag?

Awesome work!

One oddity - maybe it's just my hearing - is that the second melody note in measure 2 is written as a B in notation and tab, but the midi player plays it as an A. Similar issue...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: A mandolin/violin relative price story

This! And I'll add that the best bows can draw an even and beautiful tone over their entire length without having to press down too much. This requires a trained maker who understands the wood, and...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Montana Fiddle Camp

Try Mandolin Camp North :-)
    Dave
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: How many missing Loars?

A good day for the buyer, perhaps. Seems low for a '26 Fern in VG-EX condition considering what I've seen offered recently from private sellers. Of course, price usually depends on condition, sound,...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Ireland Bound! Suggestions??

I suggest you visit the Cobblestone Pub in Dublin. Real sessions, fine musicians, great traditions. Not oriented to tourists looking for Danny Boy :-).

Dave
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Fiddle Hell for mandolin players?

Hi Cindy,

We've got some fine teachers leading mandolin-specific workshops at Fiddle Hell in Westford, MA, Nov 3-5, 2017 -- Skip Gorman, David Surette, Richie Brown, Shana Aisenberg, August...
  24. Tried out a fiine Distressed Master Model F-5 at Music Emporium

I took a break from work to wander over to TME in Lexington, MA, wanting to try out this mando that just got listed. It's cool to live close by, but it can be dangerous!

This DMM is really a fine...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Any fiddle players?

I'm a fiddle player - it's a really fun instrument, though tricky at times. Consider finding a teacher first, who can help you rent or buy an instrument. Try instruments in person if possible...
Page 1 of 2 1 2