Search:

Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Neck block / join shape

In school we used to learn about conic or cylindrical sections in geometry classes. I am not sure if it is taught anymore. The intersection of a straight plane with a cylinder will produce a...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Weak output on old electric Kay

A soldering gun is an electro magnet and if in close proximity to a magnet will demagnetize a magnet. That is why you always use a pencil iron to solder an magnetic pickup.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Will CA Help on These Stradolin Cracks?

The use of CA will make a correct repair impossible.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Will CA Help on These Stradolin Cracks?

I am not a luthier but if it were me and I had a luthier who I trust I would leave it to him or her vs. any DIY repairs. A competent person can assess any issues to start with. Anyway, that is just...
  5. Re: Tell me why not: Carbon fiber bracing.

There is a modern school of classical guitar builders who use a balsa/carbonfiber lattice for soundboard bracing. The CF is top and bottom of the balsa making it like an I beam, rather than...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Thats a suprise

7. Replies
    Views

Re: I'm curious about a hide gluing method

Steam can get "anywhere" when it comes to wood.
    I have not tried the technique, but it has been done successfully.
    A similar method (and to me, one that makes more sense) is to glue, dry and clamp...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Breedlove Rogue repair

Wonderful green back on that Condino proto!
    I think innovation, in design, materials and fabrication is limited by cost, but also by the inertia in the marketplace. Neck joints, being invisible...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: A4 back side repair

To do it right, perhaps +/- $200, maybe a bit less if the pulled-out area will move back into shape without too much coercion.
    That's using hot hide glue for the repair.
    If you haven't already done...
  10. A new Stromberg-Voisinet inspired mandolin

A post about a 1920s Stromberg-Voisinet mandolin a few weeks back reminded me that I had traced the body and head outline when I did a bit of work on one a few years ago. So here is perhaps the first...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Reset bowlback mandolin neck

OK, first the good news: what you have there is a Ceccherini (I'm sure you know that already), they are very nice sounding instruments, and in fact the one bowl back I've kept for myself is more or...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Martin D-18 Bridge plate issue

This is my most recent spruce patch repair, on a 1945 D-28 with a long history in Folk/Bluegrass. The hole through the top was 1/4" bigger than the bridge, all the way around. Previous repair from...
  13. Replies
    Views

That is the original Indian rosewood bridgeplate, which is 3 1/4" wide. Those began in 1969 on dreadnoughts. Indian rosewood turns out to be a poor choice for bridgeplates. Chips and cracks between...
  14. Re: Repairing "edge banding" on old Sovereign mandolin

If that pickguard is celluloid and I'm pretty sure it is then you need to understand that it is highly flammable with a low flash point.
  15. Replies
    Views

I know of one repairman who took out old bridgeplates with a finger plane.
    I tried it once, and gave up after an hour. Fortunately, the scars on my forearm were not permanent.

Standard procedure...
  16. Replies
    Views

At this point, anything you do will likely be an improvement.

If the rest of the guitar is in similar condition to what you've shown, it should be fairly simple to carefully remove the back...
  17. Replies
    Views

Some technical information:

Rosewood bridgeplates were factory original equipment from 1968 until 1988 on production line Martins, except for HD-28's and HD-35's.
    Most of the rosewood...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Earplugs for loud session?

I believe you may have already hit upon a successful method for dealing with the situation - subconsciously, unknowingly, perhaps wistfully. Applying the knife effectively to the piper's bag should...
  19. Thread: Back removal

by sunburst
    Replies
    Views

Re: Back removal

I'm not experienced with fish glue, but from what I understand it is similar to hide glue when dried, although perhaps more hygroscopic. It may be very difficult to release the back without damage....
  20. Re: Has anybody heard of an English maker called Frederick Winslo

Frederick Winslow was a mandoline player and teacher who lived in Swindon, south of England near London. Before forming the Serenaders Mandolin Orchestra he led a mandolin 'quartette' that promoted J...
  21. Thread: "The Tree"

by CarlM
    Replies
    Views

Re: "The Tree"

Adrian

When we replant, the areas that are being replanted will get a mix of hardwoods, primarily oaks and walnuts. Oaks require a near clear cut to get established, so there are only a few small...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Time to finish again

I don't know whether to answer this or not, since my French polish experience is confined to repairs rather than builds. But I do work with colors from time to time, so here goes:

1. Let your...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Upright Electric Bass Build

From my experience (built a few) an EUB is a pretty basic project, particularly if it has magnetic pickups. For a 3/4 scale instrument, all the critical dimensions come from the upright bass. I've...
  24. Thread: "The Tree"

by j. condino
    Replies
    Views

Re: "The Tree"

Jason is an old friend, so in no way would I want to discourage or criticize him and he definitely knows how to build a good instrument; 'nice looking mandolin.

There was a time a couple of...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Who was Joseph Zorzi?

My apologies in advance for what is going to be a lengthy post, the purpose of which is to end the 'Zorzi myth'.

As I explained years ago in another thread, I have serious doubts about this man’s...
Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 4