Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Quick and Thick Titebond

Yes, but the glue does have different properties.
    They classify it differently for more than just marketing purposes.

At this point, I usually stick to things that are proven in our craft. I...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: First Build questions

I am not at all surprised that tap tuning does not work for you, especially if you followed Siminoff's book. Following his book doesn't work for anyone else either. After you have made 50, measured...
  3. Replies
    Views

Titebond original is one type of PVA glue. Aliphatic resin is a marketing thing to distinguish it from other glues. PVA glues are made with all sorts of different additives that make them have...
  4. Replies
    Views

Haven't tried it, but it is a polyvinyl acetate [PVA] glue, which differs from Titebond Original, which is an aliphatic resin.

I did try the Titebond 2 [PVA] glue when it first came out, and was...
  5. First Build Saga AM-10: Complete, Setup Questions

Hello all, as my first post, I'd like to share with you my (very nearly) completed Saga AM-10. I own multiple stringed instruments and caught the mandolin/lutherie bug somewhere in the process of...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: When fitting a bridge....

Fitting the bridge is not particularly difficult thing so many folks do it themselves but what I often see on such attempts (especially when the bridge height needed is very low) is that they do just...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: New Builders Tap tuning

Here we go again!

First of all, you cannot tune individual parts. The whole thing vibrates as a whole. If you are tapping one tonebar you are exciting one mode of vibration, and another mode of...
  8. Replies
    Views

Deflection tuning might be more reliable but again, you have to carve exactly the same way each and every time. In addition, it's nearly impossible to achieve consistent deflection results for the...
  9. Replies
    Views

I would never say it's hogwash just because I don't understand it even though I've heard some of the big names say just that.
    My point is if you are on your first or so mandolin there are a lot of...
  10. Replies
    Views

I'm in the hogwash category as to a specific note. And I have always given a world of credit to Siminoff for his first book. It probably started a lot of us back in the day. But how one can tune one...
  11. Replies
    Views

Well, the proof that it doesn't work is because if it did, them everybody would be building stellar sounding mandos. It's very simple and easy to get a plate to a certain note.

What I've gathered...
  12. Replies
    Views

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?128031-Tap-Tuning-F5-mandolins

There’s a lot of threads on this subject. This one for example that I’ve saved. Let us know what camp ya join...
  13. Replies
    Views

I tap a lot on vintage instruments, as well.................it's called "checking for loose braces!" :grin:

But, in all seriousness, I WANT to believe in tap tuning -- that is -- the belief that...
  14. Replies
    Views

For someone who has not observed the process from someone first hand, what the heck would I know what I was listening for exactly? Not that I didn't rap my knuckles against the back and top a bunch...
  15. Replies
    Views

Larry my experience is limited but I’ll share my findings thus far. I’ve got both Siminoff books and he says to tune the bass tone bar to Ab and Treble bar to A#. I was always confused and could...
  16. Replies
    Views

Agreed. Personally I think Siminoff's chapter on tap tuning should be torn out and burned. Relative tuning of the top and back is another story.
  17. Replies
    Views

I’m in the camp that says tap tuning (as described by Siminoff, that is, tuning parts to specific notes) is utterly useless. Achieving a particular note only means you got that piece of wood to a...
  18. Replies
    Views

I think time spent getting the proper shape of the plates is a better use of time along with proper thicknessing. Tapping won't help if you have a trench instead of a graceful recurve or a back that...
  19. Replies
    Views

I used to do this, and try for the target note, on occasion , I could achieve it,but on occasion,. I would tap the note, and never get the target note, right to the point of shaving the bar out, and...
  20. Replies
    Views

I think if you can be 100% consistent in each top plate you build, then it may work. That means consistent in arch size, shape, mass distribution, stiffness distribution, tone bar weight and size and...
  21. Thread: New mandolins

by fscotte
    Replies
    Views

Re: New mandolins

Just letting it sit under tension is good enough. My mandos changes over 2 weeks.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: New mandolins

23. Thread: New Builders Help!

by gep
    Replies
    Views

Re: New Builders Help!

Hi everybody,
    this is my second post on Mandolin Cafe' and this time I'd like to take the opportunity to show my F5 mandolin that I've just finished.
    I started my project three years ago.
    Before...
  24. Thread: New Build

by Br1ck
    Replies
    Views

New Build

Well the day finally arrived, I strung my Arches kit build up, after making a nut and fitting the bridge. Spent all afternoon setting it up, and I can say, this thing is alive. I had it in my lap...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: New Builders Help!

Ted Davis has been gone for probably eight years now. I sure wish he was still around; it was great to be able to drive down off the mountain and go visit him for the afternoon. For a few hours...
Page 1 of 2 1 2