Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: Merlin dulcimer

by ondrej
    Replies
    Views

Re: Merlin dulcimer

I also play and write books for Merlin. The strings on Merlin (D-a-d) have a parael for tuning the string Irish Bouzouki (G-D-a-d). At first just need to get used to the diatonic fingerboard.
    Some...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: A word of encouragement (but maybe not)

One of the really fun things being involved in an open mic is seeing people go from truly awful, to just plain bad, to almost listenable, to barely ok. That is a big accomplishment in and of itself,...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: A word of encouragement (but maybe not)

Agreed, to get even more philosophical, I believe in setting goals we first need to look at our reasons for wanting to play music. To illustrate what I mean, here's my story - when I started playing...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins "Opening Up"

When I got my mandolin I have had folks say my mandolin was nice except for the G string. I agreed, it had not been played and drove me nuts for a while. After a lot of playing the G string came to...
  5. Replies
    Views

I had a guitar that dramatically opened up once right during the second set of a gig. I actually played through the first song noticing the guitar seemed quieter and off somehow. Once I removed the...
  6. Replies
    Views

:popcorn:
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Musician Jokes

That's why I love Mandolin Cafe
  8. Re: Open chords vs closed chords for chops n chucks

Also watch Sierra Hull along with Chris Thile in videos, as well as a lot of other players. Most use both types of chops, which ever gives the tonal, chunk sound that each tune needs based on their...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: OM String recommendations

I'm currently playing D'Addario strings on my new Eastman MDO305. I don't find them too tinny, but we all have different ears I suppose.

Just wanted to give your mention of Sarah Jarosz a big...
  10. Replies
    Views

Flatwounds on Eastman OM?

Just wondering if anyone has tried flatwound strings on the Eastman MDO-305? Am currently using mandola strings, which helps with power, but wouldn't mind a slightly different sound. Maybe not...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Should I Buy an OM

Since you already have the SA, I'd say no harm in it, but do you want to dilute your progress on mandolin?

But the pull towards playing with others is strong. I played bass guitar in bands for...