Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Cautionary tale, I gambled and lost.

One of the good things about Gibson mandolins from this period is that Gibson did not skimp on the quality of the wood they used for the top brace.
    These braces are made of very stiff wood, and were...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Cautionary tale, I gambled and lost.

Nice looking mandolin though, I especially like the pattern on that pickguard.
  3. Sous le ciel de Paris -- two tenor guitars + mandocello

This French chanson from 1951 (also known as "Under Paris Skies") is this week's tune in the Song-A-Week social group. As I have recorded it on tenor guitar, it may be of interest here as well. ...
  4. Replies
    Views

Cold frosty morning

Old timey tune with mando, guitar and "egg":))

https://soundcloud.com/bluesguy1963/cold-frosty-morning
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Amplifier recommendation

Yea, I learned that the hard way. I don't know the specifics of why and how, but there are amps designed for making you sound acoustic, only much louder, for an acoustic instrument or for vocals. and...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Odd oval-hole 4-point on Craig's List

I think it was probably a project that was originally built by someone that knew something of what they were doing. The screwed on pickguard, Antonio Tsai tailpiece, and inexpensive tuners coupled...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Odd oval-hole 4-point on Craig's List

Am I the only one who cares about posting the photos before they disappear, especially those on craigslist which go away very soon? Here you go... for historical purposes.

I don't recall this one...
  8. Replies
    Views

Marla Fibish's Irish Mandolin Course

Anyone else taking the Irish mandolin course on Peghead Nation taught by the wonderful Marla Fibish and care to share a video of their progress? She's teaching Irish slides at the moment. It's really...
  9. Replies
    Views

Vintage photo of a Stradolin

check out this trio in Pittsburgh from the fifties. The Stradolin is awfully shiny, have never seen a finish like that.
  10. Replies
    Views

Who has the best wife in the world?

This guy. (Thumbs pointing toward me).

Yesterday, after the funeral for a friend's mother, a couple of pickin buddies and I stopped by The Chapman's Acoustic Shoppe in Springfield, MO, to look at...
  11. Great archive of some lesser heard tunes!

Someone posted about this over at thesession.org and I've just spent all morning perusing it while I should've been working! It's the Séamus Connolly Collection of Irish Music - each tune is...
  12. Thread: 1931 Gibson C-1

by clem
    Replies
    Views

1931 Gibson C-1

Just received my "new to me" Gibson C-1. As you can see, it has been played A LOT...the painted on pick guard has been almost completely "picked off." But it plays and sounds great. A...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Redwood Burl Electric Mandolin

A Watkins Westminster that I found in England....
    Great little amp...
  14. Old Virzi and more found at Mandolin Brothers

Someone sent this to us, knew it was a Virzi but wasn't sure from what, or its worth. Rather than tell what we think it is--believe it's from a violin--thought we'd toss out here because they're...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintage Case Repair

We're having a conversation about Vintage cases, which are different that a "used" case. People collect them because they're cool and rare and potentially go with an equally cool and rare instrument....
  16. Two Waltzes: Starry Nights Of Shetland & Archie's Fancy

These are two waltzes I have recorded today using arrangements for contra dancing by Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni -- thanks, Evelyn! Both recorded on three mandolins with tenor guitar backing:
  17. Replies
    Views

New Tenor in the making.

I am making another guitar based around a fiberglass body.
    I have successfully made several six string versions from a bigger mold but I just made up a smaller mold and cast this first one.
    I am...
  18. Re: History of the Geib Musical Instrument Case Company

The interior color is described in Gibson catalogs as "American Beauty." No doubt the name was derived from the famous American Beauty Rose.

Steve
  19. Childgrove from John Playford's English Dances

An arrangement from John Playford's renaissance-era "The English Dancing Master". Modern folk rhythm meets renaissance melody.

I play the melody on my Breedlove Quartz OF mandolin and the...
  20. Replies
    Views

custom mandola

It's been a while since I finished an instrument of the mandolin family, and this one is different enough from the usual around here that I decided to post some photos. The customer was operating on...
  21. Thread: Hard times

by diptanshu
    Replies
    Views

Hard times

http://youtu.be/zu8vKsa4Pe8

Here's an original from our band No Strings Attached... A little preview of what's going to be on our EP to be launched this year!
  22. Replies
    Views

Vintage Gibson mandola eye candy

I received these three Gibson mandolas yesterday. I thought I would have some fun photographing them together.
  23. Re: The Cecil B. DeMille Fanned-Fret 'Dola by Girouard Mandolins.

...OK, case opened...
    Wow...

https://c7.staticflickr.com/9/8762/29646504486_66791ebd0d_z.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/9/8280/29057449113_a9c1614a30_z.jpg
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Recognize this Mando?...

Here is a catalog page for Supertones from Sears. The same model with what really appears to be Harmony trim. The other mandolins that are recognizable are Harmony built as well. Could have been...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintage tenor guitars in the UK

Here is a nice one...... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252488482612?ul_noapp=true
Page 1 of 2 1 2