Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman 815 replacement tuners

As long as it is a major maker, they should be the same for the posts, but best to measure just in case.
    Most versions of the MD-815 have "worm under" tuners, so that is the type you will need to...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Lets Talk Eastman Line.

My philosophy: Find what works and stick with it. If that’s an Eastman, great. After that is solved, make it about music and not the gear.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Flat frets and playability

Good advice from everyone so far. I'm a fan of larger frets myself. Just keep in mind that if you re-fret with larger frets, you may also need to make yourself a new nut from scratch. There is a...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Flat frets and playability

Frets that are not well crowned definitely affect playability. If the frets are level, re-crowning them and smoothing them will make them feel much better and the mandolin will be easier to play. If...
  5. Replies
    Views

Thile at Carter Vintage Guitars

Hey everybody, check out these youtoobs of CT putting some Gilchrists and Gibsons through the paces.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkC_RBt7bYlkCI_5VPwFbA
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile on Jimmy Fallon

Face the facts, if they were playing straight ahead orthodox bluegrass, they would not have been booked on the Tonight Show.

Nice to see Chris in a supporting role. They did good.
  7. The Punch Brothers at Jorgensen Auditorium, Storrs, CT (UConn)

I saw the Punch Brothers last night in CT...were there any other cafe members there?

The show was an amazing experience. They opened with "Another New World", the Josh Ritter composition, starting...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: String spacing Nut vs. bridge

You really have to be bold and find out what works for you. I had a beater mandolin around the house that had a quite close bridge spacing, and after playing it alot I liked how the tighter bridge...
  9. Re: Another CA Bridge success story-Eastman MD815

It is very difficult to get perfect contact just by sanding, especially on anything that does not have a perfectly uniform top. Use the sandpaper as a guide, take a few very short swipes, and then...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: A mandolin's chop

A couple of questions.

Is a "good" chop defined? If so that would make it a rarity amongst tonal qualities. We have heard chops ranging from an atonal "scratch of sandpaper" to those having some...
  11. Re: Another CA Bridge success story-Eastman MD815

One little trick to fit a new bridge to an ardctop instrument is to lay a piece of aluminum foil between the bridge and soundboard after sanding to 400 grit, roughly tighten the strings and then...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile - "Daughter of Eve"

I'm pretty sure this hasn't been recorded anywhere. It was part of the Bachtoberfest show he's doing this fall. He told the story of its genesis (see what I did there) during the show in Philly.
  13. Re: Another CA Bridge success story-Eastman MD815

Next time you change strings you might chalk fit the bridge a bit with carbon paper, or water thinned lipstick, as a marker. That will get better contact for you than just sandpaper.

For fun,...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Kentucky KM-1050 New Model

Got a brand new km-1050 today, and I am very impressed. It is set up professionally, the wood is more than adequate, modest flamed maple back and nice top wood, and it sounds very very good for and...
  15. Thread: Mowry Strings

by amowry
    Replies
    Views

Re: Mowry Strings

I'm glad Gordon chimed in on the subject of tone, because he frankly is probably more qualified to answer it than I am. I generally think of my mandolins as having a more "modern" tone, but I think...
  16. Thread: Mowry Strings

by gneid
    Replies
    Views

Re: Mowry Strings

Hey, Robert,
    I don't know how to describe what I mean by "Modern tone," and of course your idea of it could be completely different, but, for what it's worth, I would definitely say that Mowry #17...
  17. Re: How to get a more bluegrassy tone out of my Eastman MD505?

Have you considered:

Stage 4 Wearing overalls while playing?