Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Playing a collings - what would an "upgrade" really get me?

So, can I hear the tonal difference between and $5k Collings and a $10k fern? Yep, you bet I can. Can I hear the $5,000 difference? Nope. I can't. But, I fully get that it's a "31 Flavors"-type...
  2. Thread: Dammit!

by LastMohican
    Replies
    Views

Re: Dammit!

Your post reminds me of Barry Abernathy who was, for years, the banjo player for Mountain Heart and was born missing several fingers on his left hand.
  3. Re: MAS: Remember, it's stronger than you and there ain't no vacc

I had MAS while I was still a Tuba player and it almost put my ass on the street! Quality BBb Tubas START at about $5k!:)
  4. Re: MAS: Remember, it's stronger than you and there ain't no vacc

Got the F-5S "Blacktop" today. The fabric of the universe has been restore!
  5. MAS: Remember, it's stronger than you and there ain't no vaccine!

So, I regaled you cats with a sad tale, from a couple of months back, about how I had been furloughed and, because times were so uncertain, I made the very painful decision to put my Northfield F-5S...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Describe your MAS progression

So, I want to be clear...I'm a "one mandolin at a time" kind of cat. I've got a 17 year old that I have to get through two more years of private high school and then college!!

I sold the...
  7. Thread: TKD Falcon

by LastMohican
    Replies
    Views

TKD Falcon

I post this as nothing more than an FYI. If any of you are considering the purchase of a TKD, then maybe this will be helpful.

I've purchased a TKD Falcon from the Mando Store. Kyle characterizes...
  8. Re: Help me choose a F-style mandolin in the $2500 - $3500 Range

I have a Northfield F5-S. It's in your "range". Had it about 3 months. Could not be happier.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Practice Method of the "All Time Greats"

The thing I'd love to know is: do the very best players spend significant amounts of time engaging in an "exercise" type of practice, i.e. are they working on scales, arpeggios, etc. Or, is the time...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Practice Method of the "All Time Greats"

Your point is well made and there is absolutely no question that any player could learn great things from the accomplished players of other genres. I listed the players I did because I am very...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Chinese made Northfield

The "method" to Northfield's "madness", in my opinion, is pretty compelling and really very, very simple: leverage the drastically reduced labor component (by assembling in China) and offer a...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield Recurve case failure

Wow. Just...wow. This post made me immediately go in a look over the Airloom (not the Recurve) case that my F5S came in. I mean...I get it...anything can happen but I can't freaking imagine the kind...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Summer camping trips with the mandolin...

I just posted, a couple of weeks ago, a "beater - no beater" post and this same idea was discussed. Bottom line...I leave next week for ROMP and I'm not taking my Northfield...I'm taking my Loar 600....
  14. Re: Need help deciding if radius FB will help me

I've got an LM-590 and I like it. At that price point, I've not really played anything I like better. That having been said, I damn sure haven't played everything! Good luck with the 700. I bet you...
  15. Re: Need help deciding if radius FB will help me

I've actually tried to put this to the test in that the two F-body's I own..one has a flat fingerboard and the other a radius. I've sat and played the exact short sections of music on each mandolin...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: The "Beater": Yes or No

You guys need to hang out with more Calvinist.
  17. Replies
    Views

The "Beater": Yes or No

So...in March I bought a Loar 590. Nice mandolin. But it no sooner hit the door than I was back online looking I what I really wanted...a Northfield F5S.

After not too much deliberation, I pulled...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: $3000 limit Weber, Collings, Pava or?

Perfect!!

I looked...Altman F bodies start at about $8,500. Please, God, no!!
  19. Replies
    Views

I went to a jam tonight and Dave Howard (another Owensboro boy!), whom many of you on here are familiar with, played my new Northfield. Dave is the mandolin player for both the 23 String Band and...
  20. Replies
    Views

Oh, yeah. I logged some serious time with it last night. Two quotes from Adam Steffey's review of the F5S ring true: "That's a real Banjo Buster." and "That's all the ax anybody would ever need."
  21. Replies
    Views

22. Replies
    Views

I'll post some pics once I get home this evening.

First impressions:

- The finish is quite a bit darker than I expected. I was fooled by the Mando Shop pictures that use some very bright lights...
  23. Replies
    Views

The new F5S has arrived! I had it shipped to my office. All I've done is check it for damage. It's in perfect shape and it's beautiful. The one endorsement I can already make...the case is...
  24. Replies
    Views

I did not see the F5S you're referring to. I really wanted to buy new this time and I really wanted the amber finish. Also, I'm very happy with the deal I got. I paid a slightly discounted price...
  25. Replies
    Views

7-days. 15% restocking fee. Needless to say, I have HIGH confidence that I'll be happy. I'd hate to fork over the $427.50 for nothing!
Page 1 of 2 1 2