Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. James Condino Fretboard Journal podcast

I always enjoy our Cafe member James Condino's posts, and I also enjoy many of the podcasts on Fretboard Journal, so it's good to see that he is this week's guest on 'Luthier on Luthier' with Michael...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: The Harmonic Tone Revealers

NOCCnWYLt9A
  3. Replies
    Views

Song Breakdown: Swing 42

Hey all,

I've been playing a bunch more gypsy tunes lately and really focusing on the chord voicings. Here's a breakdown for Swing 42 I wrote up with a bunch of fun variations for the chord...
  4. Re: Northfield mandolins - USA or China made?

Hi everyone. Thanks for all the inquiry and feedback. Like someone said in the thread, we’re always up for talking and we encourage people to write or call us directly. Happy to explain about how we...
  5. Replies
    Views

Andy Irvine is 80

Hard to think of him as an 80 year old, but there was an 80th birthday celebration gig for him in Dublin last night.

I am absolutely certain that many of us would not be on this site today, or...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: F4 design evolution/solutions

I posted many pictures in older threads that would cover some of the talk above. I'll post some of those and later Imay find some other pics relevant here.
  7. Re: Gibson Must Now Face Antitrust Litigation in Heritage Case

Some may be shocked, but some of us are more disappointed than shocked.
    Big corporations or not, most instrument manufacturers have historically (at least in recent history) been supportive of one...
  8. Thread: Finish Issues

by sunburst
    Replies
    Views

Re: Finish Issues

I kind of like it too. It shows that the spruce is well quartered, and it's referred to as "silk". Guitar people have prized it for years, but mandolin people, not so much. Why? Because the wood used...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Loar awareness...beginning when??

From what I have found it was Lester Flatt who played the first F5 in bluegrass in the Kentucky Pardners. If you are of the belief that the Monroe Bros. sound was the foundation for the sound of the...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: water and bending sides

One has to understand how bending wood works.
    First when you bend wood, the outside layer wants to stretch and the inner compress. You must count with strengths of your wood when bending. In most...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Griffith Loar A-5 drawings?

Was excited to come across this thread. When I saw the Griffith A5 at Tut's home back in the mid-1970s, I took a bunch measurements and photos but couldn't get a good tracing of the peghead because...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Check your assumptions at the door

I don't know how many bluegrassers told me that I would have a, "great mandolin that cuts like a hoss ... if I had just made it look more like a Gibson F5" when they checked out the black Sorensen...
  13. Replies
    Views

Marty Stuart solo mando Tom Petty cover

Hi all, forgive me if this was posted elsewhere- I searched and didn't see it, but man, the title of the threat says it all.

Solo mandolin shred Tom Petty cover.

Marty, that's awesome. ...
  14. Replies
    Views

Little Christmas MP3 for 2021

Here's my little Christmas mp3 for 2021. I used my Ellis F5 and my Randy Lucas slope dread. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all my fellow Mandolin Cafe buddies!
  15. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

It's a bitter sweet Christmas this year for me.

"In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer."

Here's to a much better 2022.
  16. Thread: custom oval hole

by Rbaer
    Replies
    Views

Re: custom oval hole

It was a pleasure working with John and I am thrilled with this instrument. I'll attempt to post a video of it here. Here goes....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnrXEZ12wLA
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Better machines give better sustain?

https://www.pnas.org/content/114/21/5395
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Second regiment scottish horse – John McColl

Not sure if there was supposed to be more to the post above, but here's the tune, a pipe march, on cittern. The second one piece, Fr. J.A. Rankin, is a Cape Breton fiddle tune. If the links don't...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Blues on the Mandolin - Let's Hear Ya!

Great stuff Guys! Here's some Freddie King I did this morn'n. There's little bit of SRV in there, because that's where I learned it:grin:.:mandosmiley:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic-CFGkKjWo
  20. Replies
    Views

And one more... the classic St. James Infirmary

https://youtu.be/_uf5uqfmUco
  21. Replies
    Views

Kevin, where I’m living now, internet is spotty, plus I’m lazy … I’ve been immersed in the blues recently and hopefully will find time to post new stuff; in the meantime here are a few I put up in...
  22. MP3 of the Day - Mando Coloured Glasses by The Bills from the alb

MP3 of the Day

From the Mandolin Cafe MP3 Library.

Song title: Mando Coloured Glasses
    By: Mando Coloured Glasses by The Bills from the album Trail of Tales
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: From A Jack To A king

https://youtu.be/U3In9TUsdbo
  24. Thread: Le Cygne

by Eugene
    Replies
    Views

Re: Le Cygne

I corrected a typo and made a few revisions to measures 1 and 21 in the attached. I'm still hoping to do a cheap home recording of this . . . eventually if not soon. If you make the attempt, I'm...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson finally fixed their fretboards

The reason there's a point in the florida transition started with the oval mandolins. It was to blend the FB to the soundhole and was carried over to the F5.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4