Search:

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

The post I responded to said "And yet every town has a "Classic Rock" station burning you out to the tunes you burned out to all those yers ago." My only point is that "every [American] town"...
  2. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

It's all the same Clear Channel station. I pull up the Wenatchee classic rock and it's playing the exact same section of the exact same song as the Yakima, Ellensberg and Kennewick stations.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing mandolins with a mandolin

It's real. My Hardanger viola is based on sympathetic resonance. The understrings vibrate because I bow the top strings.

Most music stores take advantage of this. Instruments sound better there...
  4. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

Yes I know some cobblers. They've resoled my old boots a few times.

Not everyone who enjoys real, live, handmade by humans organic music is a grumpy old hipster. I see lots of folks of all ages...
  5. Re: Drop-in replacements for Grover F-style machines?

I've replaced tuning machines on 7 instruments, mandolin family and guitars. IME the ONLY time I've had replacement machines "drop in" was when I replaced one set of Schaller's with the same model of...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Was away quite a while...

Good to "see" you again! I've always enjoyed your sharing your knowledge and experience!
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Upgrading or authenticity

Thousands of recordings of acoustic stringed instruments have been done with mics, not pickups. Why won't a mic work for you?
  8. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

The part I bolded above is what I call the false promise of technology. Things are introduced as labor saving, but it never works out that way. In the early to middle part of last century social...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Common string thickness

I have two old (1930's) instruments - a Stahl banjolin and a Regal resonator. I used light strings - .008 or .009 E's based on good advice from this forum. I would advise the OP to use lighter...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: How to combat memorization tendencies?

When I hear a new (to me) song I'd like to learn, I'll search it on YouTube for a version I like best. Then I figure out the chord prgression after wathing/listen7my/playing along a few times. Then...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: How to combat memorization tendencies?

Just my opinion, but this has been my experience in applying mathematics, engineering concepts, plumbing, wiring, auto mechanics and music:

Memorizing steps, formulae, songs, etc. is fine, but...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandocello as an octave?

My custom 10 string 26" scale mandocello covers the range of a mandocello and an OM , going from C to E (C-G-D-A-E).

4PyS26F0HhE

I also tuned my Eastman MDC805 like an OM once:

24wZAswSCn4[...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: 14” octave string set questions

IMO you can't completely separate music, or at least rhythm, from math. Also fret placement, string tension, intervals, harmonics, etc. are all derived mathematically.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Learning mandolin as a fiddler?

Yes. I started on violin when I was 10, classically trained, and played in orchestra all through the end of high school.

I started learning bluegrass and fiddle tunes when I was 13, based on the...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Did My Own Speed Neck

I did my first speed neck the same way. The clear finish was flaking off the neck on my Morris hybrid F4. I used a pick to scrape the rest off, then used some 400 grit sandpaper to smooth it all...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Wintergrass Jam 2/22 - 2/25

Where are the mandolincafe folks? I'm usually roving the halls or hanging out in the WAMA suite.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Newbee with Tuner Question

AFAIK Eastman uses Pingwell (aka "Ping") tuning machines on all their instruments. I've changed out tuning machines on a number of guitars and mandolins. In most cases the replacements don't just...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Ten String Bandolim tailpieces?

Allen makes cast 10 string tailpieces. I have one on my 10 string mandola and 10 string mandocello.

Don't know if it will fit your bandolim.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick up Installation

I've installed K&K and JJB piezoelectric soundboard transducers in quite a few instruments, including violins, violas and f-hole mandolins.

There are some differences between installations in a...
  20. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

I disagree with this. My opinion and experience is if you are playing for paying audiences then you have to be on time, be personable and play as well as you can. I play my best when I enjoy what...
  21. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

I'm in the "happy to never play/hear Wagon Wheel again" camp. I think it's the Darius Rucker (ha spell check changed that to Radius - now that's funny stuff) effect. I'm also not playing along on...
  22. Re: internal pickup mounting on an F4 style mandolin

The Tapastring Vintage jack is a 3.5 mm TRS. Some people call them 1/8", but then again we still describe gravitational acceleration in slugs here in the US....

Easy to buy or make a 3.5 mm TRS...
  23. Re: Tuning mandola or octave mandolin with 2nd course an octave h

On the mandola I used a .018 for the higher octave G (plain). On the OM and mandocello I use a wound .023 or .024 for the high G.

A super simple way to do it is buy 2 sets of regular unison...
  24. Re: Tuning mandola or octave mandolin with 2nd course an octave h

My OM, mandola and mandocello are all built by Tom Jessen. One of the many benefits of his instruments is the use of a zero fret, so the nut is just to guide the strings to the tuning machines.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Wintergrass Jam 2/22 - 2/25

I'll see you there Matt! I'll have the Kay bass, and either my Morris F4 hybrid or Cricket Fiddle F5 mandolin (going to the John Reischman intensive on Thursday).
Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4