Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Was the mandolin played in traditional folk before Bill Monro

Heck, Bill Monroe himself played folk mandolin before he started the Blue Grass Boys! Just listen to his recordings with his brother Charlie.

Just for the record, bluegrass is not "traditional...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: new bouzouki - top droop - humidity?

Agreed. Over the years, there have been a few batches sold to dealers as seconds for this very reason. I recall it happening to another brand once as well (most likely the same factory).

A wild...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Always carry a pick

I always have a couple generic Tortex/Ultem/Ultex standard Fender shape picks in my wallet, glove compartment in the car, even a small container on my keyring.

They may not be the optimal picks...
  4. Re: Is this an early 1900's? Looking for information

It took me a while to find this. Here's a picture of the L&H factory with about 3000 mandolins in some state of production. They made a ton of these. This is in 1903.
  5. Re: $500 - $800 price range. What is good? What to avoid?

Congrats on the new mandolin!

It had been a while since I took any measurements... this was real quick and I just grabbed the first thing off the shelf:

Here we have an Eastman MD315 and...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Harmony Guitar Conversion

The original tone bars are like railway sleepers, I reduced mine considerably.

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu261/foxfish_photo/imagejpg1-20.jpg
  7. Replies
    Views

New Tenor Owner *with a video!

Hey all,
    I recently picked up the 1935 Gibson TG00 from the ads here. I had been looking for one for some time & had played quite a few, including some vintage Martins & a couple old Gibsons. None...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Needing info on a Springfield mandolin

Springfield was the brand for Springfield Guitars in Springfield TN. Marlin Rood imported them under the store name. There were acoustic guitars, electric guitars, bass, and mandolin. They were...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Bluegrass Mandola

Every tune I play on the mandolin or fiddle, I will try on the mandola. Some tunes just don't work in their original key or in mandolin fingering, due to the range of the mandola. At least, not...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Morris Vs Kratzer mandolins

I have both a Kratzer and Morris flat top, they are both fine mandolins. The Kratzer has a longer fretboard and solid bridge, the Morris fretboard is radiused with an adjustable bridge. The Kratzer...
  11. Replies
    Views

Original Purchase Order for 1920 A-2

Thought I would post this rare document that came with my A-2.

Posted it under another thread in "Equipment"
    The mandolin is in near mint condition with all original fittings and the...
  12. Replies
    Views

A Mandolin Criss-Cross Puzzle

Every Mandolin Cafe morning starts the same: very strong black coffee and the daily crossword puzzle out of the newspaper (those folded paper things they used to throw onto your porch or lawn),...
  13. Re: and i'm interested in finding out about Givens mandolins

I've owned four, all different A models (A3, A4, A5, A6), and regret selling or trading the three I don't have anymore. Volume and tone were all top- notch, neck profiles were all over the place. ...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: How do you justify MAS?

I'm a longtime guitarist, and mandolinist for a few years. I am a family man, and not really wealthy. I try to be as practical as possible, while still pursuing my musical passion. Over the years I...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Recommendations for a mandolin strap?

Here's my "A" style with a strap that i made from a strip of soft leather.It cost me about $8,took me about 20 minutes to make & works perfectly,
    Ivan;)
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Chinese vs American Made?

As I've recounted before, I bought a Dodge Caravan in 1986, height of Mr. Iacocca's "buy American" push against Japanese imports. The car was built in Canada, and included a Mitsubishi engine made...
  17. Re: What accounts for the thin/tinny sound in cheaper mandolins?

To boil it down to the simplest answer, it results from the top and back not working well together. It is much more complicated than that, and many other things can be involved, but even a top of...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Storage Question??

If stored out of sight, it is best to detune. The reason is; when we see, handle, play an instrument regularly, if something goes wrong with it, we notice it and can get it fixed before it gets...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Old Time Jam Session Strum Patterns

As a follow up to John Flynn's suggestion, listen to what Compton does on Hartford's OT recordings (Wild Hog in the Red Brush, etc.). Also, check out the notion of playing the melody with rhythm...
  20. Breakin' Up Winter at Cedars of Lebanon State Park Mar. 6-9, 2014

The Nashville Old-Time String Band Association (NOTSBA) has a delicious string band gathering coming up soon. Breakin' Up Winter is held annually on the first full weekend of March at Cedars of...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Weber OM scale length?

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuImFuld8dnyjNmps9qGtbA

I have the D'addario J 80s on there, they are a little lighter than the John Pearse they shipped with., I substituted an 0.14 for .12 on...