Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Scales for Left Handed Mandolin

Actually here is the image from the eBay auction since it will probably disappear at some time:

2. Replies
    Views

Re: Scales for Left Handed Mandolin

I'm inquiring on behalf of a beginning student and what I was hoping for are diagram type charts with the notes indicated for the basic major-minor scales. Standard notation and/or tab is not what...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: 1940 Gibson ...Nut size info needed

They should be right around 1 1/8" wide. That's the number often given. My two 1935 Gibson made instruments are closer to 1 3/16". So just slightly wider. These were hand carved necks, so every one...
  4. Replies
    Views

Scales for Left Handed Mandolin

Does anyone know of a scale book or chart for the left handed mandolinist?

Billy

billypackardmandolin.com
  5. Re: This Week's Mandolin Playing Epiphany

I finally got a response from Matt Flinner about his "Rock & Roll Mando" course:

"I haven't opened the [archived] courses up to the general public yet---only to past students thus far. But I'm...
  6. Re: Converting Right handed Mandolin to left handed

Back in the day... I had a Collings MT while I was waiting for the one Heiden lefty F build. I ordered it with 2 nuts and 2 bridge tops. When my Heiden arrived, I sold the MT to a picking buddy. So...
  7. Re: Converting Right handed Mandolin to left handed

I have Collings MT glosstop that is a lefty.
    I got it in a trade deal and thought I would flip it.
    I quickly switched it to a righty to see what it sounded like.
    It sounds great.
    Better than a...
  8. Kentucky KM150 - Crazy as a loon, John Prine cover...

Was listening to John Prine tunes this morning, and there was my KM150 looking at me funny, so I paused the YouTube video, grabbed the Kentucky and pretended I know the song and how to play it ;)

9. Re: Converting Right handed Mandolin to left handed

No, it was a long time ago, at least 15 years. It was back in my “catch and release “ days, I didn’t own it very long. I will look to see if I can figure out when it was
  10. Re: Converting Right handed Mandolin to left handed

The very first Collings mandolins were built with the tone bars reversed by mistake. I don’t know how many were made that way, but I once owned #15 and it was that way, so at least 15, but I’ve heard...
  11. Re: This Week's Mandolin Playing Epiphany

By "archived, I didn't mean you can find it here at the Cafe.

What I meant is that it isn't one of his currently interactive "live" courses. But I was able to buy the original video lessons,...
  12. Re: Converting Right handed Mandolin to left handed

Check out Jerry’s Lefty Guitars, just go to the guitars for sale page and scroll down there are lots of mandos there.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Left-Handed Players

When I grew up I tried playing guitar 10 different times. There was always a guitar lying around and it was always right-handed. Invariably, after a month or so of not making progress, I would...
  14. Re: Converting Right handed Mandolin to left handed

6 months ago I purchased an Eastman MD404 form Mass Street Music and had them convert it to lefty for me. They changed out the bridge and nut, and while they were at it I had them put in K&K...
  15. Re: Converting Right handed Mandolin to left handed

Actually there is a thread here somewhere where a few well known luthiers basically defied anyone to hear the difference and you won't. Buy a righty and convert, you'll have a hell of a lot more...
  16. Replies
    Views

Useful Tip For Changing Strings

If you are like me (and I know I am), changing strings on your mandolin is not your favorite task. I’ve been doing it successfully for 40 years, or so, but I often wish I had a third hand (one that...
  17. Re: Converting Right handed Mandolin to left handed

I am not left handed but once helped a left handed friend convert his A style Ibenez mando to leftie. The 2 areas of most concern are the bridge saddle and the nut. They will be mirror images of...
  18. A tuner shootout: TC Electronic Unitune vs. Peterson StroboClip

A tuner shootout: TC Electronic Unitune vs. Peterson StroboClip HD

While tuning today I thought of the tuners thread going on in this same forum. It inspired me to do a little head-to-head between...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Left-Handed Players

That is great Don! Enjoy the journey. I know I am!
    I am finding that percussion experience is really helping with hand coordination and rhythms.
  20. Replies
    Views

Left-Handed Players

I got an inquiry this morning from a new member regarding a Left-Handed Mandolin Players Group. I see one social group. Are there any others and are they active? I do realize at least one of the...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Leather straps: flat or braided?

The mandolin is light enough that most any strap that I've tried has been comfortable for me (even a leather boot lace). After buying and using about 20 mandolin straps over the years, my current...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuner...not Tuners

One thing which has been made easier with the advent of readily-available electronic tuners, is the ability to join in a jam at the drop of a hat. These days I just take my seat, pick up my mandolin,...
  23. Replies
    Views

I know I used to feel that way. When I first started using an electronic tuner i wondered if i was substituting eyes for ears. My experience is, first of all, that no tuner is accurate enough to...
  24. Replies
    Views

I have a Peterson strobovlip, a polytune, a blue headstock snark, a planet waves micro tuner and the planet waves sound hole tuner on my guitar. The Stroboclip is by far the best and most accurate....
  25. Replies
    Views

I had my band all switch to Peterson stroboclip, our sound got way better. When we play in B, and the guitar capos 4, I tune my mando to capo 4 and it sounds great.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3