Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin in bal folk music?

Yikes, Martin, how did I miss this? Too much work at the end of the semester.
    That's a handy sized accordion.
    Just enough basses to really add some chordal texture to your playing and not too...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Interesting "mandolino" by DW Snyder

Yes, it does. I was looking at the straight line at the top of the third digit - more like a 5 than an 8.

I like the Ren Faire theory, too. The image of the lutist, the "Santa Cruz" reference ......
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Separation of Neck From Body… What a Bummer

It’s best to go from the outside of the neck , through the neck into the neck block. The direction of the arrow in the thumbnail sketch by Mike.
  4. Thread: Tab vs. Dots

by Dan in NH
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tab vs. Dots

Coming to mandolin from guitar, there is a faction that is vehemently anti-standard notation. This same faction is also usually anti-music theory.

It comes from the guitar’s roots as a folk...
  5. Thread: Tab vs. Dots

by Ky Slim
    Replies
    Views

I have always thought that tab works best with some understanding of dots and that paper (tab and/or dots) will work better with a little help from the ears.
  6. Replies
    Views

notation
  7. Replies
    Views

If by "dots" you mean standard notation, then I'm in a similar place with the mandolin. I find the notation to be easier to sight read and to gain a broader understanding of the piece of music. The...
  8. Replies
    Views

Tab vs. Dots

Is it just me? I know many, many posts have been published regarding tablature and dots and players preference for one or the other. But I wonder if it is just me that finds tab to be simple in...
  9. Replies
    Views

Interesting "mandolino" by DW Snyder

I bought this interesting "mandolino" on eBay, sold by Goodwill in Salinas, CA. The label says it's by D.W. Snyder of Santa Cruz, and has 4 strings with friction pegs. I can't find DW Snyder on the...
  10. Re: Separation of Neck From Body… What a Bummer

Yup, a big old wood screw with a strap button on it can be used.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Separation of Neck From Body… What a Bummer

If you can't return it - or it is too costly to do so, then that looks a candidate for a "strap button repair": basically reglue the neck as best you can, then fit a strap button on the heal with a...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD: New (bowl back) Mandola Day

Depends on where you live. See, for example, Wikipedia entry ‘mandola’
    In this case, the OP may be referencing usage in Japan. I guess it would always be good to mention scale length, string tuning...
  13. Replies
    Views

Isn't it an Octave mandolin? The tuning GDAE indicates that .
  14. Replies
    Views

Here's a handy link to the Ikegaku online store.

Mick
  15. Replies
    Views

NMD: New (bowl back) Mandola Day

I wanted to share my wonderful experience with purchasing a bowl back Mandola from Ikegaku in Japan

I've been wanting to dip my toe into GDAE Mandola for a while, after reading Robert Margo's many...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: ID on bowl back please

This is looking good...Do you have some side views of the neck alignment?

It looks as if the neck sheared off from the neck block from picture #2. These were integral in Italian bowlbacks as...
  17. Re: Separation of Neck From Body… What a Bummer

Sadly the joints on the Monterey model are not very deep (mortis and tenon type, straight sides, no dovetail). They didn't always make the tightest fit so again, not the best construction to work...
  18. Re: Separation of Neck From Body… What a Bummer

If you can't get a refund, before I threw it in the trash I would squirt some wood glue in there and clamp it with a C clamp. Cost is zero, worth a try. I wouldn't worry about the fingerboard...
  19. Replies
    Views

Mick, you have won the prize for the cryptic label challenge!

20. Replies
    Views

I believe the label is from a "Stridente" mandolin.

I'm seeing an "IDE" on the fragment with the familiar circular surrounding border.

I'm away from my files right now but will track down a...
  21. Replies
    Views

We need to see more, and that instrument is going to need a heck of lot more than just a bridge.
  22. Replies
    Views

Valzer del Commiato - Nino Rota

It is a waltz composed by Nino Rota for Visconti's film Il Gattopardo (1963). :mandosmiley:
  23. Replies
    Views

Mandolin misunderstanding by young folk

I came across this site, and a topic on the Fender electric Mando caster which I had believed came out in the 60's. As a " proper " mandolin player ( as well as a guitarist ) I was concerned and...
  24. Re: Wound strings on a Brian Dean German bowlback?

I replaced tbe D and G Thomastik mediums with Dogal mediums roundwounds. A much bigger one sound with way more than expected sustain.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Light strings for Neapolitan bowl-back

Thanks for the photos. Very nice looking mandolin, and I certainly enjoy maple bowls...

The action looks to be in quite playable condition.

The thickness of the new fretboard makes me wonder...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4