Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

My engraving process

Hi everyone,

It looks like I joined back in 2016 but never posted.

I recently discovered the baroque mandolino and it’s fascinating music, so I have been lurking around here recently. I don’t...
  2. Re: Thoughts On Hairline Back Seam Cracks In The Tail Block Recur

Cracks like these are generally caused by extremely low humidity and plate shrinking. They appear to be open on top (finish cracks) because the block underneath is cross grain and holds the bottom...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Slotting fingerboards

I think you are overthinking a Wright brother's problem with stealth fighter technology.

I played almost 40 Lloyd Loar signed F5s yesterday and they did ok with no cnc'd slots, even with my fussy...
  4. Replies
    Views

A new F-5

Not quite a traditional F-5 but in the sprit of. European spruce and maple, ebony fretboard, Gotoh tuners and an Allen tailpiece. A K&K twin pickup installed with the socket mounted on an extra...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Tonewood

No matter what wood you use, you'll never achieve the real experience of playing a finely crafted, rare, vintage instrument with something the player knows is not.

That's because there are two...
  6. Re: The String Instrument Craftsman magazine (no mando content)

Serious thanks to Brad Combs who has listed these 14 PDF files for anyone to download.
    No more emails, no more thumb drives, no more CD's - do it yourself!

Issue #1:...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

A few more.
  8. Replies
    Views

The Griffith tribute is finally strung up.
  9. Replies
    Views

Inlay engraved (I might touch it up a little more later...):
  10. Replies
    Views

Griffith tribute progress:
    Finish sanded, stained (sunburst) and sealed:

- - - Updated - - -

Bindings scraped:
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Devastating floods in Kentucky

Not directly, but I've spent a couple of days in Hindman slogging through the mud trying to save as much as we can from the school of lutherie and Troublesome Creek Stringed Instrument Company. 3 of...
  12. Thread: "The Tree"

by j. condino
    Replies
    Views

Re: "The Tree"

Jason is an old friend, so in no way would I want to discourage or criticize him and he definitely knows how to build a good instrument; 'nice looking mandolin.

There was a time a couple of...
  13. Gibson K5 mandocello unicorns and fairy dust

A good friend of mine shared a few photos of this sweet Loar era Gibson K5 mandocello that was in for a bit of restoration work.

I'd like to keep him, the instrument, and the owner undisclosed...
  14. Thread: Nut file sizes

by HoGo
    Replies
    Views

Re: Nut file sizes

Just for info. I do own 0 (zero) specialty luthier tools. I made all my mandolins using standard HW store tools or with tools I completely made or modified from common items. I don't have power...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Nut file sizes

Google is your friend....

Search around and you will see that they are very common and made in literally thousands of different shapes and sizes. The photo you posted is merely one example.

16. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuner for tap tuning

Here are a couple of Loar shots from the Archive that I believe show the gentle curvature of the recurve near the tailpiece that I think is very important to the way the string load allows the top to...
  17. Replies
    Views

Are you building mandolins to get pretty pictures in an engineering lab or to kick @$$ at a good gig or jam session? ;)
  18. Replies
    Views

A bit late here. I will add that there are many softwares capable of much more than you need to capture taptones and such. Some of it free. Many violin folks like Audacity for frequancy plots and...
  19. Replies
    Views

Went down that rabbit hole many, many years ago. Carved 2 sets of tone bars down to nothing. Too many variables. The biggest challenge was determining what the actual frequency of the fundamental...
  20. Replies
    Views

Tap tuning is a waste of time? Yes well it is if you don't put an enormous amount of time and effort into doing the measurements so you have a database of measurements you can refer to, and read up...
  21. Replies
    Views

There are a few people who perceive benefit from 'tap tuning', but there are quite a few of us who consider it a waste of our time and either don't do it or gave up trying to do it. Personally, I...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: semi hemispherical fretting

That's how I ended up with frets that didn't match in height. When you use those leftovers be sure they match your new wire (if it's not the same batch).
    Also, I usually cut off a length of fret...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Bandsaw upgrade

Bandsaws; one of my favorite wood nerd topics!

I've had almost a dozen different bandsaw guides over the years from dirt cheap up to approx. $600 a set from Tannewitz. My favorites for the large...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Headstock drilling jig.

And if you use it after reaming you'll never get chipping when ou need to pull the bushing out.

I've been using similar bit ever since I built my first mandolin. The one I have is a "rotary file"...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Headstock drilling jig.

But, the tool that is really the bee's knees is this chamfer tool:

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/tools-by-job/tools-for-tuner-installation/no-chip-tuner-hole-countersink/
Page 1 of 2 1 2