Search:

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Source for a 1/16" bandsaw blade?

There is an ancient old place just a few block down the road from me, United Saw and Tool. Ken Woody runs it and has been in the same location for something like 47 years. He makes the blades for my...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Two more: a crisp new herringbone D18 dovetail with Brazilian rosewood binding and a BAAAAAAADDDDDDAAAAAAA$$$$$$$$ 1932 ALCOA bass that I spent about 45 hours polishing.

j.
    www.condino.com...
  3. Re: Source for Brass/Gold Mandolin Bridge Thumbscrews

I use #6-32 set screws and hex nuts. That way you can put a little 1/4" wrench on them and adjust while under string tension. Lots of folks are doing this now, it definitely makes adjustment easier....
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Rosewood bridge vs Ebony?

All of that said and understood and respected, I still like Brazilian rosewood mandolins!

j.
    www.condino.com
  5. Replies
    Views

Sblock is correct, and I have been saying the same thing over and over on guitar forums. Don't panic, your personal mandolin, guitar, etc, is exempt so long as it contains less than 10kg of...
  6. Replies
    Views

"Rosewood " is pretty generic. It would be more helpful if we differentiated between the specific dalbergia choices- at least the common names like Brazilian, Honduran, Indian, Cocobolo, et cetera. I...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: loving curly maple binding

You won't think curly maple is so cool after you try to bind an f5!

Here is a new striped ebony one under the Y30 and another African blackwood ported one from about ten years ago that was in my...
  8. Replies
    Views

I've made bridges from ebony, wenge, maple, kingwood, padauk, and African blackwood. More out-there materials I've used include carbon fiber, bone, and aluminum. I have not been able to discern or...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Broken backplate

Just followed your Facebook page - thanks for being so generous with the pictures, and the updates! It's encouraging to see folks who are willing to be open about the setbacks.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Handy tool heads up!

I have absolutely no need for these, but that doesn't stop me wanting a set :)
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandocello build thread

Not finished yet. The future owner had some serious health problems, and the associated serious financial problems, so we sort of put the 'cello project on the back burner. I have done some more work...
  12. Re: Flat Sawn vs. Quarter Sawn Neck Block? Plywood tailblock?

I've cut my neck blocks at more of a slant so that the narrow section that connects the actual heel and scroll has long grain. This puts the actual dovetail area at an angle. Maybe the best of both...
  13. Re: Flat Sawn vs. Quarter Sawn Neck Block? Plywood tailblock?

It really doesn't matter what you call it so long as it looks good, you make good use of it and you're happy with the results!

Since you mentioned it, I'll give new examples and write a few more...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Fringe benefits....

One of the best sounding guitars i ever made was made from the headboard of a cast off mahogany bed. The second best sounding guitar i ever built was made from a perfectly vertical grain piece of...
  15. Re: My 1st vendor experience at a Bluegrass festival

Hey Bluetickhound, best of luck with #6!
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Need Inspiration

My advice. Get something going to feed your family and build in your spare time. I've been where you're at and I didn't take care of business first. It cost me dearly. I know it seems harsh but it's...
  17. Replies
    Views

Why not!
  18. Replies
    Views

Nice
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: First attempt at a hand rub sunburst...

When you add the distractions of bridge, tailpiece, strings, (pick guard) and such to the top, it will look better yet.
  20. Re: First position sounds great but notes die further up the neck

My experimental mando has had 12 different backs on it. Newspaper works great.
  21. A very much "come as you are" interview with Gil.

don't know if this filmed at home interview has seen any air over in the US, but thought i'd share it to those who haven't seen it.
    sorry, but can only share this Facebook link..
    done quite...
  22. Replies
    Views

Nice Jacob and thanks for sharing the tip with us. When I read your first post I immediately brushed the spruce with 500 grit and it really did help with taking of stain. Next time I'll try the 600...
  23. Replies
    Views

I sand the back neck and sides to at least 220. 320 max. the top I sand to 600 maybe more depending on the wood.

here is a picture of my first mandolin and first hand rubbed finish.
  24. Replies
    Views

Personally, I'm wayyyyyyyy more concerned about how an instrument sounds and plays than how it looks.

I've seen some of the first and very early mandolins and finishes done by some of the finest...
  25. Replies
    Views

James demonstrated this, and quite a bit of other information. one was how to find which color's work with your particular piece of wood.

Your back and neck look great, I probably would have...
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4