Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: new top F hole repair

a friend who has helped me with learning to build, told me once, that when you are done with something many, many times, you will put your hands on your hips, back up, and say, now how am I going to...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: problem with an ebony fret board

thanks everybody, I did not use and glue, and when I was done realized I was just mad, ,( something do less and less today)< and it was a childish rant, and could not find a delete button
  3. Re: What was your biggest challenge in making an F style mandolin

I would go with binding as well. look at the difference between an F and an A, binding on the A, once around , on th eF all those miters and isn't a 45 anywhere, then the scroll,
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Advice for Sound board flexibility.

I do deflection tuning as well . You may find some on youtube, what I do, Is I have a jig that puts weight( I would have to look that up), on where the bridge would be replicating the string load. I...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: crack in top, F model

yes this is one I built some time back
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: crack in top, F model

it is not the seam , but a bit to the right. I thought it was a scratch from changing a string, as it is straight, then as it gets to the bottom, it has a little wiggle to the right. it is sunburst...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Torrefied Opinions

i can''t answer to it, but have just received a torrefied top in the mail for my next build. I see they also sell torr. neck wood. torr. block material, and personally, I can't imagine these...
  8. Re: My 4th mandolin build, 2nd one built from scratch

as said, looks great, i have a friend who has built a lot, and he told me doing the wire on one side wasn't bad, but getting th3 e 2 to match was look. look great
  9. Re: My 4th mandolin build, 2nd one built from scratch

that is gorgeous. I also just completed my 4th and used Adrians plans as well
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Side bending. Is this worth saving?

i have a friend who has made 76 mandos to date. I , only 4, and constantly post on here for help. I had a couple scorches, and it being in that top near the scroll area, was very dark on my burst. I...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Dremel attachments

ps , would love ti see dhergerts set up, sounds great
  12. Thread: ToneRite

by Martian
    Replies
    Views

Re: ToneRite

Matt, a buddy gave me one brand new, but he also thought the strings died, It was on his Sam Bush model, but he also thought it was a little louder, albeit very un-scientific
  13. Thread: the saddle

by Martian
    Replies
    Views

Re: the saddle

I got it on thick side for bass, for one hour old, new strings, it sounds pretty good. I put D'Adarrios EXP74's. I tried to compare it with my older one , but I realized, I cannot, the old one is...
  14. Thread: block inlay

by Martian
    Replies
    Views

block inlay

when i started this project, I inventoried everything i had, and ordered my supplies from stew mac hopping not to get slapped on shipping., but i see i only have small bits. is a block do- able with...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: First Mandolin Build Thread

looks like a good start to me. i am just starting my 4th, should say 3rd, the first one will never be playable,
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: New Builders Tap tuning

I used to do this, and try for the target note, on occasion , I could achieve it,but on occasion,. I would tap the note, and never get the target note, right to the point of shaving the bar out, and...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Help me choose a back

i like 653 but would not throw any of them out. where did you gt your wood from? I want to build a quilt, but some folks have told the sound is sofer then curly, not sure
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: A list for first time builders

hahaha very funny and very true
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: 1918 Gibson A-4

also , my apologies to the good folks on the cafe. I have this posted on 4 sites, and forgot about the cafe, one one of them I have over 200 views no comments , I sure did not mean to be rude, but...
  20. Thread: Nolan Faulkner

by Martian
    Replies
    Views

Re: Nolan Faulkner

I have known Nolan for prolly 35 years, very unique man, and player. I called him about a year ago, cause I seen his name here, he had no idea people were researching him, and was very touched by the...