Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Seeking music by S. Seth Weeks & other Black mandolinists

I have found one of the Weeks pieces and copied 3 more while I was at the Lbirary of Congress, last week. First, an easy ensemble piece, Passing Guard March, for 1st and 2nd mandolins, mandola, and...
  2. Re: Bach/Marcello Adagio in D minor BWV 974 Minus One Mandocello

Have you considered bringing this to the Kalamzoo CMSA convention in a couple weeks? There will be around 17 mandocello players and still room in the open mic. We have done MC quartets, but you go...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: CMSA Kalamazoo 2022: Registration Now Open

Registration is still open for the upcoming CMSA convention in Kalamazoo, September 21-25. This year, because of our Covid protocols, all registration must be through the on-line portal, which will...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Essay on Mandolin Orchestras

"In my line of work, I am called upon to perform "peer review" to vet and inform writing a fellow scholar. I'd appreciate a "peer review" from any of y'all who might catch any gaffes that I might...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Essay on Mandolin Orchestras

Very interesting. I have no specific comments about your materials, but as I'm preparing a table of 'golden age' photos for the Minnesota Mandolin Orchestra's performance at the Minnesota History...
  6. Replies
    Views

We talked the last couple years about mandocellos at CMSA. I'm not doing a workshop this year, but you will be meeting and playing with a bunch of enthusiastic bass cleffers, and Klaus Rumpf is going...
  7. Previously unknown Loar K5 Gibson mandocello shows up!

Stevie Coyle, guitarist for the Waybacks, now operates Mighty Fine Guitars in Lafayette, CA. A few weeks ago somebody showed up at the shop with a previously undocumented 1924 Loar K5!

There are...
  8. Replies
    Views

"I'm registered and reserved, coming with my Larson mandocello. I'm a bit rusty, but excited!"

I think the cellos will have an especially good time in Kalamazoo. Interesting En Masse parts...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Lyon & Healy Mandobass

That mandobass-in-action photo makes me wonder if it the endpin extends -- or used to extend.
  10. Replies
    Views

Perhaps.....but pay ten grand for a proper double bass and you will earn 10x that over the next decade of gigs!
  11. Replies
    Views

If I were going to trade my car for a mandobass, that would be the one.
  12. Replies
    Views

Lyon & Healy Mandobass

I was just cruising around Tom Crandall's inventory page and found this one-of-a-kind beauty from around 1918. I don't recall seeing any mention in my old catalogs (but will take another look) and I...
  13. Re: Free Mandolin Orchestra/Ensemble music by John Goodin, update

As nice as it is to read through and play classical string music (Mozart, Schubert, etc.) there is something special about John's Music written specifically for the plucked orchestra. His presence at...
  14. Re: Free Mandolin Orchestra/Ensemble music by John Goodin, update

I can attest that John’s mandolin orchestra music is wonderful to listen to and to play.
  15. Great New Collection of Evelyn Castiglioni's Tunes

Evelyn's books over the past 5 years, ever since her first "Evelyn's Big Book 2015," have been a great source of wonderful arrangements of mostly traditional tunes, with a few originals scattered...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: "Jascha Heifetz of the mandolin"

But really, wasn't Jascha Heifetz the Sol Goichberg of the violin?
  17. Re: Nordic/Finnish/Swedish folk music recommendation

Just using the search word nyckelharpa gets you a lot of good stuff, whether on youtube or spotify or whatever.

/Magnus
  18. Re: Sebastian de Grebber, Dutch Mandolin Chamber Orchestra

Tim, it's great to hear from someone diving into this deep pool of great mandolin music. I just want to put in a plug for the Classical Mandolin Society of America. On the CMSA website, as a...
  19. Re: Sebastian de Grebber, Dutch Mandolin Chamber Orchestra

I haven't seen anyone mention Neil Gladd. His name also should be included on your list. http://neilgladd.com/
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Classical nerd roll call: Lyon & Healy archtops

You know, the style C pieces are nice and the style B pieces really nice as well, especially in the era before the Cs moved to that plain paddle-style headstock.
  21. Re: Classical nerd roll call: Lyon & Healy archtops

Here’s mine!

Hmmmm.....somehow these “thumbnails” showed up and I cannot delete!
  22. Replies
    Views

Classical nerd roll call: Lyon & Healy archtops

Because . . . why not?!

I admit: I'm a bowlback-fan kinda guy, especially of the Neapolitan type. However, I've been bitten by the elegance inherent in Lyon & Healy's (L&H) approach to archtop...
  23. Re: Shocking revelation! Lyon & Healy Style C on eBay

I'd have loved to see the finish shop at the L&H factory. If you've seen one in fine condition, it's obvious that their varnishing skills were somewhere beyond Gibson's. Just fantastic staining,...
  24. Re: Shocking revelation! Lyon & Healy Style C on eBay

Not such a bad deal. Owner could sell the tailpiece, original case, and finger rest for $500. And with a few days of skillful labor have one of the finest oval hole mandolins ever made at a cash...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Remembering Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA9lpHnZbFU

Remembering Evelyn I made another video of one of her arrangements:
    The Old Man and the Old Woman

Thanks Evelyn!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4