Search:

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Mike Marshall & Darol Anger show on 2/9/24

My DH and I went to this concert Friday night at the Groton Hill Music Center in Groton, Mass. (This is the second show I've seen at this venue, the sound is superb).

Here's a few pictures from...
  2. Re: Learning a Ronnie McCoury solo everyday for the month of Janu

Ronnie McCoury Month (BONUS) | Day 29: Barefoot Nellie

I believe this one was requested in this thread! What a great straight ahead bluegrass break, love it. I thought I'd challenge my core and...
  3. Re: Getting Started in 2024 - What's The Move?

Interesting paradigms. Never envisioned these Northfield owners playing their builds on international stages as "entry level" musicians: Mike Marshall, Sierra Hull, Emory Lester, Adam Steffey, Sarah...
  4. Learning a Ronnie McCoury solo everyday for the month of January

Trying a fun little exercise of learning a Ronnie McCoury solo a day. Maybe I underestimated how difficult this would be but let's find out :))

I usually post majority of my videos on social media...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Is anyone else scared of Bill Monroe?

So... Did anyone ever determine if we're all responding to a robot?
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Tremolo...Which player...

a vote for Evan J Marshall...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: 90% of us can’t do this.

I take a lot of photos of musicians and jams. Bluegrass circles are the hardest because mostly everyone looks miserable in every photo. While we know its not true its hard to refute.

I heard...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: VERY quiet mandolin for practicing?

WHERE do all these people work that allows mandolin playing? Next thing ya know people will be playing with their phones at work! :grin:
  9. Re: I forgot to use the "sideways" tines on the tailpiece - ?

Turn in your mandolin player card.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a pic of your cat sleeping in your case

I said goodbye to sweet Randy last night. She was a good girl. I believe that she truly liked my mandolin playing in addition the comfy place to curl up. RIP Randall Jean
  11. Poll: Re: Just starting out -- Should I really learn to "read music"?

If you are doing a style of folk music such as bluegrass or old time and hope to be able to play by ear I would try to stay away from paper. I started on tab and if I could do it all over again would...
  12. Poll: Re: Just starting out -- Should I really learn to "read music"?

Not too dissimilar to folks that can speak a language but can't read / write in that language. You can become a pretty good and get your ideas across, but you're limiting yourself significantly. ...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Chop chords help

I've been playing mandolin seriously for only a couple of years, although I dabbled a bit now and then over my life. I am just now getting comfortable with doing I-IV-V transitions with 4 course chop...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Am I Alone in This?

Just gotta find the song that suits your voice. If one doesn't exist, you can write it.
  15. Replies
    Views

I was like you but the longer I go to bluegrass jams, the more I find myself wanting to learn to sing. I gave it a go at my jam last night, sang Red Rocking Chair, and I think it went OK.
  16. Replies
    Views

When someone asks if I can sing, I say “No, but I never let it stop me.”

Joe B
  17. Re: I've owned an A-style for 72 hours and already hate the shape

I can't relate to this "problem." It's like complaining that it requires effort to learn how to press your fingers correctly to get clear tone or complaining about having to hold a pick.

The key...
  18. Re: I've owned an A-style for 72 hours and already hate the shape

Use a strap.
  19. Chord melody chat: Aaron Weinstein & David Benedict

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYQZu7izCpE
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: How Good of a Player

I think it was Monroe himself that said to develop your own style , you should learn EVERYTHING that anyone else does snd then DO NONR OF IT!! I love Monroe mandolin, have played mandolin for almost...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: New to Mandolin...What next?

I'm a novice who started from scratch with the mandolin. I've explored MandoLessons.com, bought a stack of books, signed up for Mike M on Artistworks, and taken a group online course with Matt...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Reasons to avoid practicing

Surely reading very long threads about how to avoid practising is the most valid reason? I am doing it now when I could be playing instead! :mandosmiley:
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a pic of your cat sleeping in your case

Thanks so much for your kind thoughts. I'm sorry for your loss of Gabe. I am sure you miss him terribly. I hope you are healing to the point, though, that your memories of him bring you joy as...
  24. Ronnie McCoury transcriptions on 'Noam Pikelny Plays Kenny..'

Another day and another book for everyone. Life's short so I am releasing another Ronnie McCoury transcription book today. This time it is Ronnie's playing off of the album 'Noam Pikelny Plays Kenny...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Thomastick Light Strings

I have TI lights on a flat top Northfield Calhoun and they work fine. Not as much volume as regular light gauge strings, but I don’t need max volume for playing at home. I don’t think I’ll keep...
Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4