Search:

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Article: Sometimes the Case Tells the Story

You can view the page at https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/content/991-Sometimes-the-Case-Tells-the-Story

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=209834&d=1696794575&stc=1
  2. Re: Is Gibson Getting Ready to Roll Out Some New Models?

Glassweb, I appreciate your response and informed opinion. I am gaining more knowledge from those who have gathered information about early Loar specs. Thank you!
  3. Re: Is Gibson Getting Ready to Roll Out Some New Models?

As Jim says above, Gibson is on the right track. It might not be the track that everyone would like, but it makes perfect sense - devote your talents and energies to a couple of flagship models and...
  4. Re: Is Gibson Getting Ready to Roll Out Some New Models?

I look forward to playing one. I really am excited about that case though. I’ll be looking for one of those when they pop up used.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Derrington signed A5l MasterModel?

With the explanation from Charlie D. above, it makes sense the A5L which was re-introduced from the original Master Model A-5 from 1923. The fact it has the MM label and a signed label proves the...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Arthur Stern

Also a friend of Dawg and a witness to lots of history when Dawg music was forming. A brilliant artist who create some amazing pieces in glass. RIP Arthur.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Arthur Stern

Ah, man. That's sad. Thank you for letting us know.
  8. Replies
    Views

RIP Arthur Stern

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but Arthur was a friend to everyone in the mandolin world and a brilliant artist. He was a long time forum contributor and a fountain of knowledge and experience...
  9. Re: the Lloyd Loar F5s: in the 1920s and today

Musical instruments, outside of furniture sized pieces - and with a few exceptions, were generally considered objects that would wear out and get replaced. Guitars, mandolins, and banjos especially...
  10. Today in Mandolin History - April 10, 1923, Lloyd Loar signed lab

April 10, 1923, Lloyd Loar signed labels destined for Gibson Master Model instruments.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/images/thisday/loarssignature.jpg

This is a randomly selected event for...
  11. Ken Cartwright loses home in Oregon fires

Got a text a few minutes ago from a friend in Orgeon, then checked Ken's Facebook page. Very sorry to hear the news that he has lost his home in the Oregon fires.

Ken, for those of you that don't...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: New Vessel Loar A5 tribute

There are interior signs that it is not an original item, aside from freely posting my work on the internet.
  13. Replies
    Views

Is anyone bothered by this?
  14. Replies
    Views

Ummm...there was only one Loar A5...so yep.

Violin makers have been copying Strads and Guarneri's for hundreds of years...it's a tribute......you get it or you don't....unless a builder passes it...
  15. Replies
    Views

Not at all. Make a Vessel copy for us to see your work.
  16. Replies
    Views

Go ahead. But first you’d have to be willing to sell your F models for $485. That’s about the same ratio one pays for one of mine compared to a Loar. A $485 Vessel copy would likely increase my sales...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Are All Lloyd Loars Dropping In Price?

Personally, I don't think the human race will be here even 100 years from now. So go ahead... buy or sell your signed Lloyd Loar F5 while there's still time!
  18. Replies
    Views

Well I've said it before and I'll say it again, Loar signed F-5's, and all the other Loar family of instruments are the first of basically the greatness of stringed instrument building since the...
  19. Replies
    Views

That is another thing. Almost every old classic violin from the 1700s has been taken apart and worked over numerous times and the value keeps going up anyway -- not sure why repairs to a mandolin...
  20. Replies
    Views

Why would that be so? It has been at least 2 generations already since the first Gibson Loar signed F-5s were made in 1922. The prices did not drop like a rock they have gone up dramatically --...
  21. Replies
    Views

I liken the Lloyd Loars to paintings by the Old Masters. You know they are old, you know the artist, there are only so many of them, and they hold a lot of meaning in the art world. Sure, you can get...
  22. Replies
    Views

I think a million is probably optimistic. I'm thinking $500-700k. Maybe $250-300K for Reischman's.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Concerning Loar copy mandolins

I forgot about bill halsey's builds! That is one ultra fine looking f-5, i'd love to play that baby! His craftsmenship is perfect. I don't believe i've ever even heard one of his builds. Wasn't he a...
  24. Replies
    Views

I believe my Halsey to be the closest to a Loar that I have played. My old DMM prototype was a close 2nd...

25. Replies
    Views

All F-5 mandolins are built in respect to Loar F-5's as Loar F-5's were the first made, most all are built on that platform but only a few could be considered exact replicas or tributes! I've heard...
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4