Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Instrument insurance in the UK

Allianz (correct spelling) Musical Insurance are a proper musical instrument insurance company based in the UK. Others may well exist, but I’m only aware of Allianz. Of course, do check your home...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Identifying a Mandolin

Well, okee dokee. Thank you (:
  3. Fretboard Journal Gilchrist Repairs Earliest Loar

I don't know if you all have seen this, but it is worth a quick read...I continue to be blown away by the genius and artistry of Steve Gilchrist:
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: The story behind Ashokan Farewell

I was inspired to learn the tune after listening to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLTfiRtEO-o
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: What could cause the top to sink?

If the builder does not offer any warranty, and you friend is considering legal action, I would say your friend must enjoy wasting time.

Either there is warranty or there isn't. If there is, he...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Smaller case for a Phoenix

I don't know what the standard Phoenix cases are like but I traveled some time ago with a shaped hardvcase for my Flatiron A in a double tennis bag which I used as my carry on. I would hope that that...
  7. Replies
    Views

I would think the Bobelock Arrow case would fit.

http://jazzmando.com/new/images/Bobelock2.jpg
  8. Replies
    Views

I just checked and my Phoenix does not fit the Travelite. The treble point doesn't match up with the placement of the F5 treble point cutout in the case. That might be an issue with some F5 cases...
  9. Replies
    Views

Hello Marc,

I agree that the Hiscox is rather bulky, but I think it gives good protection. For my day-to-day use, anywhere I can keep my hands on it all the time, I use one of those light weight...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Harris F-5 Mandolin

Sugar maple one piece back.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Harris F-5 Mandolin

Red spruce top, binding with side purfling, 24 fret fingerboard with scooped extension, ebony abbreviated finger-rest, silver plated hand engraved tailpiece, hot hide glue construction, hand applied...
  12. Replies
    Views

Harris F-5 Mandolin

Inspired by a metal engraving illustration, I designed and hand cut this flower inlay from black mother of pearl.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: What is the function of the body?

Since FEM has been brought up, I think some clarification is necessary. FEM stands for "finite element matrix". What you do with FEM is draw your object (instrument) as accurately as possible. The...
  14. Replies
    Views

Given that people's impressions of what constitutes "good" in a mandolin are so very subjective and vary so widely, I can't even be sure a what a given customer wants in a mandolin. Also, given the...
  15. Replies
    Views

Doing science on mandolins is about finding out what mandolins do. If, and only if, your questions are about what mandolins do, science may eventually be able to answer your questions. If you want...
  16. Replies
    Views

Sometimes science tells us, in a rather indirect way, to not waste time on certain ideas. If Dave's (and other's) data shows that the position of longitudinal braces (tone bars) is of little...
  17. Replies
    Views

So how did you measure amplitudes? How did you control your "bonks"? I've done brace location experiments with interferometry, and didn't experience what you are describing. Also, trimming braces...
  18. Replies
    Views

1. Shape of the soundbox is way down the list for most experimental researchers. In the first place, you have to ask yourself. What do you want to know about the effect of soundbox shape?",...
  19. Replies
    Views

The box does not make the strings louder. The box takes energy from the vibrating strings and converts that energy into sound. In doing so, it takes energy away from the vibrating strings, so the...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Aubrey Haynie's Gilchrist

Mando Mike, I'm honestly not sure. I just had the opportunity to play this particular Gilchrist a lot back when Mike owned it and then when Steve owned it. It was SO easy to play and had such great...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Good idea or not?

Sounds like the locking tuners on my strat (that I never use)
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: UPS Nightmare

I shipped my skis home to Michigan after a ski trip in Colorado because I was going to drive on further west. I stopped at a shipper in Denver. UPS admitted they picked up the skis, and lost the...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Women with Mandolins

Well done, Brianna and dad!
  24. Replies
    Views

I think those two beauties were made for each other Marc. What a wonderful gift in so many ways.
  25. Replies
    Views

Congratulations to you both!

Jamie
Page 1 of 2 1 2