1. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando and Fiddle duo's

Here’s a good one: Glory in the Meetinghouse” - Hot Rize

https://youtu.be/w6WQApDcjK8?si=0AR5btbz6cl60dVk
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Any experience with Mapes strings?

I have used them on mando and guitar, and like them a lot. Good tone (comparable to or better tha D’Addario), and long lasting. I like being able to order custom gauges, too.

Plus, they’re cured...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: New Buckeye “A” model

OK, OK, I’ll post pics and a sound file as soon as I can. I’m in the middle of a move, so it may be a couple of days. Check back in a few days.

(Also, I’m not very adept technologically, so can...
  4. Re: F5's from $3000-5000 worth considering - Sept '19

The Buckeye built by Pete Hart. He will customize according to your requests. Usually builds about 5 per year, over the winter. Consistently great mandolins for the price.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Favorite Acoustic Amps?

There's a Loudbox Mini posted in the Classifieds today

I've had a regular Loudbox, which I liked a lot.

You might also look at Roland amps; they have a variety of sizes, wattage, features,...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Tunes that improve technique

Big John McNeill
    Big Sciota
    Molly Bloom
    Blackberry Blossom (playing the A part on the E strings)

The other thing you could try is playing tunes without using your index finger. Somebody told me...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Using effects with the mandolin

Glad to see this! I've recently been experimenting with effects pedals, on both acoustic and electric mandos. I've collected several pedals - compression/sustain, overdrive, octave doubler, and my...
  8. Thinking about getting an octave mandolin.

I'm in the pre-contemplation stage of looking for an octave mandolin. I'm sure there is a wide range of quality and price, but I know very little about who makes entry level, mid-level, and the ones...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: National RM-1 Resonator Mandolin

Thanks, everyone. It seems unanimous. I'll pass your opinions on to my wife - I'm sure she will insist that I get one immediately. :))

By the way, Marty Jacobson, I checked Maple Street, and they...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Suggestions for trip to Nashville?

I'd suggest dropping by Cotten Music. They have a new location in the general neighborhood of the Station Inn (known as 'The Gulch', and a really cool part of town, I am told); you can find the exact...
  11. Replies
    Views

Benefit of Mandolin Cafe cap

I was recently in Paris, wearing my fashionable et tres chic new black Mandolin Café ballcap. My wife and I dropped in to Shakespeare's Bookstore near the Cluny Museum - they have a lot of...
  12. Just picked up a Buckeye, would like to know other Buckeye owners

Three weeks ago, my wife and I just drove up to Guysville, OH from Atlanta to meet Pete Hart, and to pick up the mandolin he built for me over the past year.

First of all, let me say what a good...