Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Are you ready for a new Carbon/Kevlar Sorensen mandolin?

I have big respect and admiration for you Joe, and much of what you said is probably true, but I have to disagree on one sonic aspect of CF mandolins - sustain. My Mix A has sustain that goes on and...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Nanci Griffith

So sorry to hear this. Saw her in the 80s and 90s. What a good soul and singer songwriter. She left this world too soon.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP cafe member man_dough_nollij

Yeah, Lee (man_dough_nollig) was an interesting character here on the Cafe. Like journeybear, I was also one of his Cafe friends. He lived in the Rockies and worked a few stints in Antarctica (with...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Pre NAMM discussion

Case in point, er rather point in case...
  5. Re: Andrew Marlin "Cody Road" Artist Session at GMBR

Thanks, that was a treat! Love the tune. Some nice close up shots too of Andrew and Dom picking those fine mandos.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Mom's miniature parlor

That’s an impressive miniature parlor. My wife is also into miniatures. Here’s an Irish cottage interior she created (with mandolin content).

7. Replies
    Views

Re: Prettiest A model I have seen in a while

Mary, since you’re talking voicing, could you compare/contrast the Ellis to your Heiden?
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Your MAS Progression

Well that’s no fun Dem. Watching your journey has become a spectator sport for some of us.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Irish Music Tours -- suggestions

Dave,

I went on a southwest Ireland music tour with Inishfree last year and had a fabulous time. We toured quaint villages and countryside by day and caught intimate ITM in the pubs every evening....
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Jeremy Kittel Band featuring Josh Pinkham

Thought I’d bump this threading give a shout out to Josh Pinkham and his amazing mandolin chops. I saw them for the third time since the release of “Whorls.” They had the full 5 piece band last...
  11. Re: Live From Here Joni Mitchell musicians' birthdays

Ditto. Aoife nailed it, and in her own style... I don’t usually sit through the entire show, but I did tonight. Excellent.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin or Octave Mandolin

Mandolin would be a better fit. Whether you choose a flat top or an arch top octave mandolin, it’s voicing is similar to guitar and would be lost in the mix. You might want to consider a resonator...
  13. Re: Did you catch the Ken Burns Country Music series opening?

I like the leisurely pace. It reminds me of listening to Detroit baseball announcer Ernie Harwell calling the play by play in his relaxed southern drawl during my youth. Almost like a mantra that...
  14. Re: Did you catch the Ken Burns Country Music series opening?

Different strokes... I really enjoyed the jazz documentary.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Summer NAMM 2019 Report

If you haven’t played one multidon, I recommend trying one first. I waited for months for an Eastman octave but ended up returning it after being disappointed.
  16. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

We only know that he’s left the barn.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Peghead Nation Instructors

A great feature of PHN is the option to change courses/instructors at any time during your subscription term. I’ve taken lessons from Joe K Walsh, Sharon Gilchrist, John Reischman, and Marla Fibish,...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Should I Buy an OM

One thing to consider if there is more than one guitar at a session, the OM occupies a similar niche sonically, so it may be overkill. On the other hand, you can add color if you play counter melody,...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Show off your back side

176351 176352

Heiden and a couple Poe’s. Keep ‘em coming... One of my all time favorite threads.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins in progress

And coming up on two million views! It’s been a fun one. Thanks for kicking it off Darryl.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Orange in SLO! Going!!

I saw them two nights ago in Louisville. The Loar sounded wonderful. These guys are at the top of their game. What a treat!
    176156 176157
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando-free zone

I’ll add Oliver Apitius and Michael Heiden to the list of fine Canadian mandolin luthiers (albeit, high end).
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Literally had to post this.

Thanks Dem. Thile is always a gas, but I love me some Jeremy Kittel on fiddle. I’ve seen him live a couple times. Great performer.
  24. Re: Pinky reach vs. position shift (Haste to the Wedding)

Ditto what foldedpath said, especially the point about capturing the right rhythm pulse.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Sam Bush Documentary

Ditto. A great way to start out the weekend and well worth the rental price.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4