Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Happened to you?

If you listen to "Nashville Storms" on Michael Cleveland's Fiddlers Dream album you can hear a very noticeable moaning in the background. I asked Mike about it and he said it was Andy Statman's...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Adam Steffey

Adam has taken breaks before. It is a demanding business and he has young children. I suspect we will see him again at some point - or at least I hope we will. I don't know him well but I believe he...
  3. Re: What's Your Favorite Instrumental-Mandolin Album?

I really like Darren Nicholson's Fret a Spell album.

https://youtu.be/zzpcIoUIH3I
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Rehab Hospital

Hey Gary, I have a spare LongHollow strap you are welcome to. The part that contacts your shoulder is wide, soft and comfortable. It's like this one but a lighter color. I can deliver it Sunday if...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Forgive me....for I have sinned.....

Meh, I owned a banjo once upon a time. I was trying to get my sister to move out of my house so I traded a guitar I didn't like for a banjo I didn't know how to play. The tactic failed but I sold the...
  6. Re: Ellis Torch and Wire in todays classified.

That surprised me too coming from that shop. I just acquired a Pava A5 with koa binding. She added koa binding to the pick guard as well and it really ties it altogether. When I first laid eyes on it...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Marty Stuart's ex-Loar?

The strings were not floppy loose but were detuned to where it far from being in tune.
  8. Replies
    Views

Very true on both accounts but I'm only permitted to take one of them home with me...sigh.
  9. Replies
    Views

The strings had been loosened. I did pick a few notes though just to say I'd played a Loar. Truthfully, I was so excited that I was buying that Birdseye Northfield Artist that Marty Stuart himself...
  10. Replies
    Views

I didn't play it but I did hold it and gave it a sniff a few weeks ago. It's in great shape. I was a little nervous just holding it.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Picking faster?

11 time IBMA Fiddle Player of the Year Michael Cleveland is also one heck of a mandolin player. He really likes to mash on it. I've never heard him play it at a mortal human's tempo.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Out of my league

I got to hold a '24 Loar this week. It has aged much more gracefully than I have. I did not drop it nor drool upon it.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: If You Don't Perform In Public....

Answer: Because want and need are not the same thing.

I play a mandolin way beyond my pay grade because I like it.
  14. Re: Check out this mandolin...... Thoughts, comments, concerns

"It's not easy being green." - Kermit the Frog
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: I can’t play now

ATGATT

I separated both shoulders in a m/c accident about 10 years ago. I was a guitar player back then and had to switch to a smaller bodied guitar. Last year I reinjured my right shoulder again....
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Banjo joke I've heard in a while

Q: What do you call a banjo player with health insurance?

A: 65
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Help! Buying my first mandolin!

The used 305 I bought shows signs that it has been played a lot but not abused. There's a couple places on the finish that look like it has been exposed to bug spray, sunscreen or something that left...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Help! Buying my first mandolin!

I just bought a used Eastman 305 to serve as my "drag around" mandolin. I'm pretty impressed with it. The set up isn't bad and it sounds way better than my current beater. I had a 515 that I...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Walmart Mandolins on Clearance!

I'll just drop this screenshot here for grins an giggles.

I wish my mandolin had winding pillows.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Taking your Mandolin for a walk...

I don't take my mandolin for walks. It uses the mando door.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Doug Clark mandolins

22. Replies
    Views

Re: Get Your 4 Year Degree in Bluegrass

I know several people that are in the Bluegrass program at ETSU. Many are pursuing double majors. Becky Buller was a public relations major at ETSU. Most students in the program are already...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Transposing Fiddle to Mandolin

I use the same pieces of music for fiddle, mandolin and tinwhistle so I say go for it.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Is a Rogue a mistake for a beginner?

I have a Rogue that I bought on sale for 49.99 shipped. It wasn't too hard to make playable. A short term later I bought a used better mandolin but I still play the Rogue when I camp and take it to...