Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Favorite mandolin playing beverage?

Coffee in the morning, mineral water most evenings at home. When the Finnish band is practicing, it's usually Bell's Two Hearted Ale. Just has become a staple for a couple of us. Picked up the...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Favorite mandolin playing beverage?

Beverages play mandolin?
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Dennis Cahill has passed away - R.I.P.

Dennis had such a calm and sensitive approach to music. It brought a whole new way of hearing rhythm and harmony, so different from the showy 'outward' approach.
    I'd love to find a recording of his...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: "Noodling" at Sessions

I think if you noodled on a trombone I would go screaming out the door like a mad man. Another Guinness please, please!
  5. Replies
    Views

I was assuming that Dunning-Kruger was a brand of beer that I was not yet acquainted with. :)
  6. Replies
    Views

I have always thought "noodling" referred to aimless messing around on the instrument. Something better done at home, regardless.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Here's my sad mandolin story...

Hey, my parole officer thinks I’m doing okay. And I stopped playing the banjo……..
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Price increases coming soon or already here

I remember studying micro and macro economics in California one time.
    Inflation can actually continue just because people expect it to continue.
    Raising your prices becomes a habit.
    People...
  9. Replies
    Views

Or in the words of Yogi Berra: "The future ain’t what it used to be."

:popcorn:
  10. Replies
    Views

Darn, just when I thought I had it all figured out.
  11. Price increases coming soon or already here

Some of you, I'm sure, are aware prices of mandolins, both import and domestic have already risen or are about to. Have known about some of this for some time but it wasn't yet public. No longer....
  12. On the anniversary of my father's passing ...

On the 1 year anniversary of my father's passing (Bill Torbert Jr. {link}) I thought I would share some photo's I have found since then.

197066 197067
    w/ Bill Monroe

w/ Lester Flatt
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: China mandolin supply

It's wrong to bash banjo players. Without banjos those folks might take up bagpipes
  14. Replies
    Views

Now if it gets desperate, the mandolins can be dropped in the harbor and float in on the tide. The banjos will sink. Problems solved.
  15. Replies
    Views

Almost everything that's imported is likely to see a slowdown in availability and the good news is that includes banjos.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Thile using an SM57 mic

I have been using the same 58 Shure mic for somewhere around 40 years now. Put a new ball on it as the old one was looking bad, but otherwise it still keeps working. This has been in terrible...
  17. Replies
    Views

He's playing into a 57 and singing into a 58. There is a reason people have been doing that for decades.
  18. Replies
    Views

I always have to chuckle when people express amazement over the pro use of those Shure mics, after all, they’ve been industry standards for a reason. They get the job done well and they’re rugged....
  19. Replies
    Views

SM57s have been around for years but I think they are a little different now.
    Back in my days as a drummer in a top 40/country/rock band we did a sort of novelty thing where I got out the banjo and...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Cape Breton mandolin (1976)

I suspect you're right. The piano has changed in role since the 1920's, from an instrument to accompany fiddle to a second instrument in its own right. As I mentioned above, the influential pianist...
  21. Replies
    Views

That's true for sure. Same for the Scots islanders. Nonetheless, their music has remained very Scottish, with plenty of strathspeys etc.

However, I don't see the piano style as anything like what...
  22. Replies
    Views

I have have few points to make about Cape Breton traditional music. I have roots in and spent a great deal of time in Cape Breton, and am the grandson of a Cape Breton fiddler. I play tunes in the...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Do You Baby Your Mandolin?

Several got Re-frets ..

You want to sign up, in advance, for my Estate Sale?
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Do You Baby Your Mandolin?

I don't mind honest wear from playing it regularly on an instrument, but I do always keep all my instruments in their cases - I have an enthusiastic Beagle, flagstone floors and live in a 150+ year...
  25. Re: How fun, I met my mandolin instructor - Sharon Gilchrist

I was enjoying the thought of her checking out your ears...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3