Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Stew-mac prices

No way; business is booming for those guys. I know them personally, including several of the big dogs; we just talked a couple of days ago (some new Condino tools are coming down the pipeline!).
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: new top F hole repair

Sorry, but I disagree. Not only is a starting over whenever things go wrong a waste of scarce materials, but it can be a serious waste of time and effort. My philosophy is more in line with 'fix it...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Pine For Bracing?

Just FYI, "Alaskan spruce" = "Sitka spruce"...
    Yeah, there's some Black spruce growing in AK, but I'm sure we're not dealing with that species...

And don't even get me going on all those numbers,...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: How to stain a mandolin

I'll try to make this fairly brief, but cover the basics.
    There are several ways to produce a sunburst mandolin, and there can be combinations of the various ways.
    The old Gibson mandolins had the...
  5. Re: "Sizing" in violin-making and its relevance to mandolin build

Bryce and Mandoborg have brought up the most commonly brought up, and perhaps the strongest argument against coating the inside of instruments with "something": it makes future repairs more...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: June f5 #62 "going non-traditional"

Hi Jim, i used my F5 template so the sides are the same. I basically just redesigned the top portion. As far as the third point i had both designs with and without it. I sent the customer the design...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Quilted Neck Question

I glue a 1/4x3/8 cf bar in with the LMI epoxy, capped with .01 maple, surface, then glue the board with fresh hot hide, your old quilt should be fine!
  8. Replies
    Views

I don't have a strong opinion about the aesthetics of the orientation of the quilt figure in a neck. But I do know there is nothing wrong with a flatsawn neck. I have made several, including a cherry...
  9. Replies
    Views

Quilted figure shows on the flatsawn surface, so if the neck is made with the grain lines perpendicular to the fingerboard the quilted figure will be strongest on the sides of the neck (including the...
  10. Replies
    Views

Jim, the quilted figure looks nice. Not to muddy the waters, but remember that when you actually carve the neck profile the figure appearance will change. So, who knows, if you went for the quarter...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for photos of two pointers.

Re: Looking for photos of two pointers.

http://northwoodsbirddogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/blog-photo-gallery-lexus-audi-460.jpg

bratsche
  12. Thread: Bad cut

by peter.coombe
    Replies
    Views

Re: Bad cut

11/16 inch is 17mm which is thick enough. Don't chuck it. I have cut plenty of Spruce and hardwood tops and backs with a 1/4 bandsaw blade on my Inca bandsaw, but nowadays mostly use a bigger...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Growth ring question

A sudden increase in growth rate (results in a sudden widening of annual rings (growth rings)) is usually caused by what is called "release". A tree is released when a nearby tree or nearby trees are...