Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: My engraving process

I am glad you mentioned that! Cutting off the top of a bowling ball is (or was) a frequent way to create a ball vise. Just attach a small machinist vise to the flat top, make a ring for it to sit in.
  2. Replies
    Views

David Benedict's new dream mandolin

Pretty sweet......

TaPgDcXO3io
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Bowl back science

I just skimmed the article yesterday, but took away a few things that I already knew - sorta. At one point, I did interferometry and a few other things on a 1921 (?) Calace that Mike Schroeder had...
  4. Replies
    Views

My engraving process

Hi everyone,

It looks like I joined back in 2016 but never posted.

I recently discovered the baroque mandolino and it’s fascinating music, so I have been lurking around here recently. I don’t...
  5. Re: Best power carving tool for arching and graduating tops and b

I think I posted this in another thread recently. The Kutzall spiky donut (fine grade) does create a huge amount of fine dust (done outside with respirator and eye protection). For me, it's very...
  6. Re: Best power carving tool for arching and graduating tops and b

To follow Adrian’s comments about non-ergonomic use of hand tools, certainly in the West, I’d like to mention that before power tools were widespread, hand tools evolved to maximize human strength....
  7. Re: Best power carving tool for arching and graduating tops and b

One should be aware that use of the powertools is also not very good for hands. The vibrations of the tools are bad for muscles and joints even though it is not as physically hard work.
    Many...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: How to de-skunk a mando?

Car detailers use ozone generators regularly to get rid of smoke smell in cars and it's widely used for fire restoration applications as well. I know it worked great for me. No detrimental effects...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Favorite part of instrument building?

Interesting. My least favorite part of a carpentry of any kind is finish--from the sanding to the applying of finish. But ever since the first time I got into the French Polish mindset, I've really...
  10. Re: Best power carving tool for arching and graduating tops and b

Whatever you use, try to avoid holding the work with one hand and any power tool with the other: that almost guarantees injury.
    Any high speed rotary tool, hand held, can inflict nasty injuries. ...
  11. Re: Best power carving tool for arching and graduating tops and b

I just went down a rabbithole on youtube reviews. It looks like a brand called Kutzall makes an abrasive disc that is reasonably safe to use. What brand of disc do you use?
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: RH vs wood moisture content.

It's actually a sling psychrometer, and it is considered the gold standard for measuring relative humidity.
    Another devise that is considered to be very accurate, and that we can make at home, is a...
  13. Replies
    Views

If your hygrometer doesn't have a calibration function, you can still deFacto calibrate it. Do a google or duckduckgo or bing search for hygrometer calibration methods. Most online sites will...
  14. Replies
    Views

In general, the biggest problems arise when instruments are built at a higher EMC, then sent to a location where the RH is much lower. For instance, free guitar tops and/or back plates can shrink...
  15. Replies
    Views

Even though wood is usually kiln dried to 6% moisture I feel that tonewood does not need to be that dry, and in fact that dryness in difficult to maintain. I try to keep my shop between 40% and 50%...
  16. Replies
    Views

In the highly recommended (essential, IMO) book Understanding Wood by R. Bruce Hoadley there is this graph. He tells the reader to copy it, hang it on your shop wall, make it public, so I have no...
  17. Replies
    Views

I see nothing wrong with the moisture content, I thought you were talking about drying wood from the beginning.
  18. Replies
    Views

What is wrong with the moisture content at the moment? Seems like it is suitable to use.
  19. Replies
    Views

I think a room with a heater would also be necessary to dry the wood than just a dehumidifier. Also a way to move the air around and thru the room.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Guitar shaped mandola or octave

If you measure the distance from where you would like the bridge (center of lower bout is optimal) to the top of the body where the neck attaches. Then double that distance. That will give you the...
  21. Replies
    Views

I would think a larger body would affect the low end most. My Pono OM is a parlor sized body with a 21.5 scale & neck joint at the 12th fret.
  22. Replies
    Views

I recently built a guitar shaped mandola. I don’t remember the scale length but the body was much smaller than the little Martin (which I think is smaller than an 0-18). I would choose an octave...
  23. Replies
    Views

I don’t have any insight on what box dimensions are desirable for those instruments (but IMO, the fact that we have guitars ranging from 0 to Jumbo means there’s room for variety in box size). A...
  24. Re: Guitar shaped mandola or octave

It's possible. I think a mandola's body size is the closest to a Martin 0, but an Octave Mando would work as well because of the scale length (~24 inches), it would just have a slightly smaller body,...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Template material

I would add to Bill's response, that you should get a carbide blade for cutting plastics. They have a negative rake, unlike wood cutting blades. Just Google it, there are choices.
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4