Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Left hand position

The light came on for me watching the Northfield videos with Mike Marshall and Emory Lester. Great music and up close video. What did I notice? They move/rotate their hand around quite a bit. They...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Sold my Collings and got a Pava

No fiddle? No banjo? No cannon of a dreadnaught? You haven't put it to the test. But in reality, others should be listening to others and adjusting their volume. I can dream, can't I?

Don't take...
  3. Replies
    Views

My experience was similar, so I sold both a Collings and a Pava and got a Passernig kind of like this one:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/148347#148347
  4. Replies
    Views

Interesting. I had a similar experience with a Weber Yellowstone. I bought it at Wintergrass. Loved the sound, but after playing it for a few months it never really got comfortable to play - there...
  5. Re: Close harmony with a mixture of male/female voices- strategie

Practice.
  6. Thread: Humidifier ?

by jeff_75
    Replies
    Views

Re: Humidifier ?

Could be. If the weather was the only variable that changed before the buzz started, humidity, or a rapid change thereof, is a likely culprit.

Weather here in VA swings wildly. Case in point,...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Memorizing the neck

I am thinking any up-the-neck discussion should include the aonzo scales:

http://www.mandozine.com/techniques/scales/aonzo_family_scales.html
  8. Replies
    Views

"If you try to stuff too much into your brain all at once, you'll likely fail."

Already there are enough suggestions here to keep one quite busy. I'd approach this by looking for what piques my...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

Here's a cover I recorded with some friends
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-QgnYc6usM
  10. Thread: Darkest pick

by onassis
    Replies
    Views

Re: Darkest pick

I'm a big fan of Curt Mangan strings, and I can unreservedly recommend their Monels. I used them for about a year on my Northfield. I recently purchased a set of D'Addario Monels to try out on a...
  11. Replies
    Views

This might be of use in getting the patterns of the mandolin ingrained.
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/entry.php?528-Revised-Guide-to-Doublestops
  12. Thread: Darkest pick

by David L
    Replies
    Views

Re: Darkest pick

For decades I have exclusively used Jim Dunlop Jazztones large round tip guitar picks (dOD 207). They are very thick with a round point and nice side contour. They are the "darkest" (most...
  13. Replies
    Views

do a quick search here and look for pete martin’s mandolin improv from scratch series and his chord tone scale stuff. it is excellent
  14. Replies
    Views

Would this chart help you?

When I was learning how to play the mandolin, my mother made me learn how to read notes. Though I really “can’t” read notes now (well, I can, but it takes to long), I...
  15. Replies
    Views

Lots of great stuff here. One thing I'll say that I believe that may sound sacrilegious - don't worry about theory!. I think some of us theory geeks get too easily caught up in it and try to...
  16. Replies
    Views

I learned to play from a real " by ear" musician, my dad. He had no idea what he was doing, no theory knowledge at all. If you asked why he did a certain thing musically he would tell you that was...
  17. Replies
    Views

Heartily agree! Even now that I can somewhat quickly figure what any note is, that's not the way many of us play.

What I DID initially memorize (even if it was on guitar!) are the notes at each...
  18. Replies
    Views

Take tunes and songs you know well and play them up an octave or even just starting in higher positions. Take your time working these out and see where the same notes reside on the upper frets. Work...
  19. Replies
    Views

For me, it's been a long journey to get to where I feel reasonably competent maneuvering about the fretboard, so my first piece of advice is "Give it some time". I've been going at it for 12+ years...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Total Newbie Looking for advise

Hi, misterg, Welcome to MC!

Well, there are different kinds of Newbies and with your experience you are the kind that knows in advance that there is a learning curve and diligent practice will...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

Following a resolution to play more music and learn more tunes in 2019, I'm making at least a modest dent in my to-do list.

Ugv3Mci7y84
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: strumming help

* There is a sticky thread at top of Forum Software Support for requesting name change

I found this useful along the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUCHfqMXGCo
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Silly pick question but....

I know it stretches the imagination, but either side will be fine. Kinda hard to explain but geometry is geometry.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Left Wrist Placement

Here's a clip from Mike Marshall demonstrating what I think is the "standard" approach, basically treating the mandolin like a fiddle. Not thumb on the back of the neck like a guitar, more angled....
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Thankful for this forum

Whenever I get kind of stuck, in a slump, I come back here for the cure. It works!
Page 1 of 2 1 2